• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Choosing toys for an Amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Ok all you Amazon owners, I have been asked to make some toys for an Amazon as a gift, unfortunately, it's supposed to be a surprise and I don't know enough about Amazons to be sure that I'm making the right toys. I sure could use some help in choosing some toys from my web site for this lucky birdie. The friend who requested this only owns small birds and didn't really know what to get either...HELP!

TNT Toys is my web site.

Thanks guys!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I get your toys for my Goffin and Hahns, who love them. But the zons are just into taking wood apart as fast as they can so they get refillable skewers of wood!
However, looking at the toys with my zons in mind - and they tend to like smaller toys- I'd say the disc daisy and wheel tweet.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
My zon loves any large (think Too and Macaw size) soft wood toys that he can shred into toothpicks. The more wood the better. A couple of the toys I would order for my zon are the the Disc Daisy, Spools Large, Bee Hive, Spools Jumbo, Bee Hive Jumbo and Nut for Knots Wood Large. Have fun :)

Willow

Sprinting down the street
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amy
My Zons would probably like the following:
Alex "What Smaller" Toy
Maggie Mae's Fantastic Foraging Tube
Wheel Tweet Large
Busy Birdie
The Piece Shredder

They like things they can shred, but they don't touch large wood. Small wood things like for Conures, they tend to like. Bigger pieces are ignored. They really enjoy the various piñata type toys.

Hope this helps!

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Jasper is not intimidated by toy size at all, but he wants to see progress! Large chunks of soft woods, pine cut across the grain, shredder toys and wooden beads that he can snap off a string or skewer are all favorites. He loves destroying loofa too.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thanks a bunch guys! Anyone else want to ring in?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
First off, your toys are awesome. Einstein would be loved here as would nuts and bolts, busy birdie.

There are alot that mine would destroy. One thing that I will say is that both of my Amazons are different toy destroyers. Your Gumball paradise is great, but for an Amazon such as my Red Lored, he'd be all over that thing if he was able to snip off the beads if they were wood. He seems to like destroying any wood that is snappable that he can just destroy with little effort. I usually buy 2" wood stars (you show in your refill kit- I buy close to 100 of these for my toy making they are GREAT for Zons) for this toy, because he meticulously likes to wittle the pieces off into tiny little shards.

I have found, that my Mealy on the other hand LOVES to chew up and destroy plastic. He'd be all over Einstein, it would be gone in a few days. Busy Birdie would maybe last a day. Tweet large would also last maybe a day here.

The question is finding out more info on what this Zon likes or dislikes. Mine love the finger traps, they love wood pieces nothing larger than 2" thick, but for beads, my smaller Zon loves small wood beads. Plastic chains, animals are also loved here as well. Birdie bagels encompassed into any toy are great too.

My boys love any toys with balls. You have some great toys with balls, pacifiers and chewable stuff. Mine also like toys that have hanging things from the balls, like the chains, or cascades of wood that I have used hanging from the balls. Amazons (some) love to hold and chew using their feet. My Mealy is a foot toy fanatic, but he can also chew toys by attacking them and holding them hostage with his big feet :D

I have found that mine love to swing from toys, hang upside too :rofl: So they don't just chew them they play on them as well.

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Claire,

Thanks for the kind words and all the great suggestions. I agree with you completely that every birdie is different. Perhaps this gift is for somebirdie on AA...perhaps that birdie's person has already answered the question...perhaps not...Come on you Amazon owners! Get on the band wagon here and tell me what your 'zons would like to play with!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
With Hiram he seems to like the smaller type wood.He loves to be able to hold it in his talons and work on it.He loves preening things also.He also love foot toys with tiny pieces of leather,rope or wooden beads. I guess it all depends on the amazon.The wheel tweet would be a big hit,sisal mother lode,gumball paradise and you have some great foot toys also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.