• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chloe The Barber

Elle Cox

Meeting neighbors
Hello Everyone,

About 5 months ago I rescued a severely neglected Moluccan Cockatoo named Chloe. I have no age but according to the avian vet she is 20+. She is hand phobic, hormonal, a barber, and constantly anxious. We were making amazing progress until she has to be treated for an infection from a broken blood feather. After this, she started biting me. She has bitten me good enough twice to where I would consider it an attack. I do not hold a grudge but since then she's now lunging and biting my hands. I have tried the power pause method with a clicker, letting her bite the back of my hand and gently pushing into the bite and frankly I am tired of getting hurt. Now I mostly avoid contact between her and my hands. She will nuzzle my legs and sides and still moves to step up but then she bites me.

My question is: does anyone think it's silly or counterproductive to wear gloves and allow her to be as ruthless as she needs and work this out of her system? Or do you think that when I take the gloves off we will be back to square one? She's on Avicalm and Featherriffic daily and it makes only a slight difference. I have tried to find a local trainer but to no avail, as they only cover what I have learned in books, dvd's and webinars. She gets 2-4+ hours of outside of her cage stimulation a day, with multiple foraging toys. So I'm wondering if it's lack of stimulation.

I do know his previous owner used to beat the cage with a rod to get the birds to quiet down and I can't use a t stand or dowel rod because it sends her into a screaming attacking fit. The poor girl.

She is very sweet and I'm willing to work however long
it takes but at least I can get some insight.

Thank you! image.jpg

Elle Cox

Meeting neighbors
Sorry for the typos as I am using an iPhone to write this thread.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
One thing that many of us agree about is that successful bites are self-perpetuating. You should avoid any bites whatsoever. Every time she is successful biting you it reinforces her determination to bite you.

I'm not the best behaviorist on this forum, but one thing you can do immediately to avoid bites is use a T-stand to pick her up. You may have to start over from step one and work back up to a better relationship.

Some people with a lot more experience will be along to help you.

@Cara @JLcribber

Elle Cox

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for your insight. It's going to take so much time to get her to trust a t stand or anything that resembles a rod because of the horrible thing that happened to her in her last home. She wasn't handled for over two years and stuck in a small room with no air flow in the worst conditions. They were going to euthanize her. So I took her in. I have moderate bird experience and I am not scared to work for a long time at something so I took her in.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Masquerade the T-stand so it doesn't look like a stick.

You have a tough, long term job in front of you. I rescued a fully mature male (18 years old) that had been physically abused for 10 years - it took 3 years to have an understanding and working relationship. In six years we were best buddies. He never got completely over his abuse and till the day he died, if he got rattled I had to leave him alone and baby talk him until he calmed down.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

Elle Cox

Meeting neighbors
I know this is going to be one huge roller coaster but I absolutely love and admire her. She could have died in these conditions and she is such a fighter. I am able to pet her on rare occasions and she's fine with me touching her feet. I'm going to continue the power pause method for now until I get some good suggestions to try. I had a blue and gold macaw and she was a neglect case but she bounced back very quickly. Now I have probably the most sensitive and emotional bird I have ever met on my hands!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Well...she's beautiful! Thank you for helping her...John may have some good advice
@JLcribber

Elle Cox

Meeting neighbors
Thank you. I think so too! Let's hope we can get over our barbering issues someday!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I agree with Hankmacaw, best to avoid the biting situation entirely.

I had a bird who is afraid of sticks, and I wanted other options than using hands/arms when she's worked up. This at least will help move her around without getting bit.
What I have found to work is a grate out of the freezer part of a refrigerator, or an oven grate, or a grate from an undersized large bird cage (for the bar spacing).
They are used to climbing around their cage and this is essentially the same so they are not afraid.
They will tend to go in the up direction after climbing on so hold it tilted with the high end away from you.
If she does get too close to you gently lay it on the floor and try again. Rare for me but good to have a plan.
Then brace the far end when stepping them off or you'll hit them in the butt when the weight comes off.

as far as the lunging, can you interrupt the behavior with another incompatible behavior. for example when you see a lunge coming, cue for turning a circle or waving.
you need to be good at reading body language to catch it before it happens. then at least the interaction has ended on a positive note and you can rebuild trust.

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Oh dear, what a sad life this beautiful soul has lived. Thank you for taking on this challenge and giving her a soft place to land. I am by no means an expert, but will offer some advice.

For starters I would recommend looking into Barbara Heidenreich. She is one of the top behaviorists out there and has a lot of training information that will really help your situation. Due to having to medicate Chloe I believe the relationship you two were forming as been set back to the beginning. So now you must approach her as if she was a new bird you were just getting to know. Respect her space and listen to what she's trying to tell you. Biting is usually one of the last signals a parrot gives when indicating it is upset or uncomfortable by something. By continuously pushing her to the point of having to bite and allowing her to bite you, you are teaching her that biting is the only way of communicating with you. The best thing to do is to avoid all possible bites and this includes biting through gloves. This is not something she needs to "work out of her system", it is her trying to communicate with you that she is uncomfortable with whatever you are doing.

Start by interacting with Chloe only on her terms. Go about your business quickly, changing her food and water and letting her out of her cage, but give her minimal eye contact and attention besides a pleasant greeting and dropping a treat in her food bowl when walking by. Become as nonthreatening as possible. Some may recommend sitting near her and talking to her softly or singing, but this can be a pretty intimidating situation to a bird afraid of humans. By sitting so close to her you are forcing your presence on her and since she is in a cage she cannot escape. You must find the distance that she starts to becomes uncomfortable with your presence. It may just be you walking in the room, it could be 10ft away from her cage, or it could hopefully be only a few feet away from her. Once you find that distance try not to go any closer than that. Short training sessions would consist of you being at the point just when she become uncomfortable and being as nonthreatening as possible (don't look her in the eye and generally ignore her), when she starts to exhibit relaxed and calm behavior: leave her uncomfortable zone by backing off. Do not push farther forward. When she starts to become comfortable with that distance you can move a little closer and repeat the next few training sessions at that distance. This is similar to the power pause technique you are using but is much less intimidating to Chloe and allows things to go at her pace.

Once you get to the point where she is completely comfortable with you moving around her (no lunging, hissing, or backing away from you when you are near her) the next step I recommend is clicker training and target training. Barbara Heidenreich offers plenty examples and explanations of this process through her youtube videos and on her website, goodbirdinc. It allows for positive interactions between the two of you without you having to be physically handling her. This will allow you to avoid bites and build your relationship. If she will take treats from your fingers without biting them then offer them that way. If she tries to bite your fingers instead of taking the treat offer her the treat from the end of a spoon or have a bowl nearby that you can place them in.

Hopefully this all makes sense and isn't too much information! I apologize for any confusion and if you have any other questions please ask away. @Monica can give very clear explanations of other types of positive reinforcement training practices so I will tag her and hope she can help you out :)

Elle Cox

Meeting neighbors
Thank you guys so much. Really
It is a great help to have some more ideas to work with. She doesn't seem to display traditional discomfort body languages and I believe she operates against the usual grain. Her eyes are too dark to show pinning, she doesn't hiss, bow down, shake or rarely throws her crest. About the only time I know she is upset is her lunging or running away. I always let her run away. Many times she instigates contact by coming and standing on my foot, nibbling on my shoe and I will look at her and ask "would you like a pat?" She then lowers her head and looks at me. I pet her for a few and then she runs away, and I let her. Sometimes she does exactly as before but I go for a pet and she lunges then will bite at my legs. When she instigated the contact and she is in my space. I keep to my chair which is five feet from her cage and she loves to chat and whistle with me from that distance. She willingly eats from my hand and when I cover her at night she reaches out of the cage for me to touch her feet and hold her hand while I say goodnight.

I have had some experience with making no eye contact and I used the method when first gaining her trust. I will try to go back to this.

Chloe really appreciates your help too. You have all made us feel very welcome!

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
My question is: does anyone think it's silly or counterproductive to wear gloves and allow her to be as ruthless as she needs and work this out of her system?

Knowing from experience and what you've posted about Chloe (the abuse/phobia etc) this "battle" is going to take a year possibly two to overcome. IMO the "honeymoon" has ended and that the Chloe has not really changed but rather has changed back and this is the birds true personality.

As you know "hands" are already not liked. Gloving them just makes them that much more threatening. My advice is always to use a T stick to "handle" the bird but as you've stated this has been used as a tool for punishment and now a source of fear. Chloe is a hot potato. You can't handle something like that with out using a tool or getting too close to get burned. You must find something to use as a tool to handle her so you can keep your meat out of harms way. A bird can only bite you if you provide the opportunity.

This tool could be a heavily wrapped sleeve (also hiding hand) or anything else she "will" get on and you can hold. I would also start right now to condition her to accept a T stick so that in time you can use that as the way you handle her. Just have it in the same room across the room to start. Always interact with this stick when you first enter the room but don't approach Chloe. She needs to see you manipulate it and handle it often in a "positive" way so that it becomes a normal thing like you holding a coffee cup and rewarded for any positive move towards it. Eventually she touches it with the beak. Takes a big chunk out of it and finds out for herself that nothing bad happened.

Because of the state of your bird this is going to be a slow process. Possibly more months. This is a phobic cockatoo. The biggest challenge anyone could have taken on. You're going to need a lot of inner strength to see this through. It is totally doable and we are always here to try and help.

Elle Cox

Meeting neighbors
Thank you. I'm still learning a lot about this site so I'm sorry if I am not replying properly. I will get the hang of it in time.

I am very determined to see this through and I know that it will be crazy. I'm okay with that. I'm just glad she's alive and having her needs met. I know it has a possibility to take years to get better and she may never be the most social and well rounded bird. I'm okay with that. She deserves a safe place where she can thrive and I will give her that to the best of my ability.

I appreciate your advice and the fact you are very forward with the realities. I enjoy honesty.

Our little moments make all the hard work worth it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Avoid the bite at all costs. An M2 bite can really hurt you. I'm on my way to bed, but you've received some great advice here. One question I have to ask.. How long has this been going on? I think you had a setback with the medication, and Chloe clearly has a reason to have a ton of issues. It is also that time of year when my M2 is crazy hormonal. If you have seasonal hormones thrown in with all her other issues, you've got a lot on your hands. The good news is that hormones usually wane, so you might see her mellow out in a month or so if is part of what is going on.

Other things to try - have long sleeved shirt with an ace bandage on it and hold a medium-sized stuffed animal when you pick her up. If she'll step up on your wrist, the stuffy can protect your hand and may not seem as threatening as a perch. I also have a Too that won't step up on a stick, but he will step on a roll of paper towels and he'll hop on one of those comfy perches. I hold both ends and he'll jump on the loop. E-CP56124 Comfy Perch Large 28" - ROPE PERCHES

Overall, I'd interact with her indirectly a lot. Dance, sing, talk to her, but don't handle her much for now. More tomorrow. My eyes are crossing.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have tried the power pause method with a clicker, letting her bite the back of my hand and gently pushing into the bite and frankly I am tired of getting hurt. Now I mostly avoid contact between her and my hands.
"Power pause" - this instantly tells me that you are looking to the wrong "trainer" for advice. Bird Tricks are sales people. They started this business out selling a product. IMO, they are sales people first and foremost. They put on a big show for you, they make promises about instant results, and all these other things which are not good. They take training methods and phrases that are already established scientifically speaking, slap a new label on them, then sell it to you as a "new technique" or a technique that the experts have been "hiding" from the public. Although they have learned a lot and changed their methods, I still do not recommend them.

Actual trainers are not sales people. Sure, they may be able to provide a service and they may even have products to sell, but they are behaviorists or trainers first and foremost. They take tried and true methods and teach them to you. They don't fancy it up in any way, or change it. They work on the science of behavior. The type of training that's used is often called....

1. Positive Reinforcement Training (PRT)
  2. Force Free Animal Training (FFAT)
  3. Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)
  4. The ABC's of Behavior (Antecedent-Behavior-Consequence)
  5. Clicker Training (least formal....)

And seeing the replies in this thread makes me so happy about AA!!!!!! I am so glad to see how everyone here is learning the new techniques of training and not only applying it to their birds (even if we learned different training techniques in the beginning) and recommending it to others! But it's absolutely right! The only bite that can't be rewarded is the bite that never occurs! The more a bird practices biting, the more likely they are to bite. In other words, we need to learn what triggers a bird to bite and avoid those triggers, desensitize the bird to those triggers, redirect that behavior, and learn to read a bird's body language.

Unfortunately for you, Chloe may have learned to not give warnings before she bites because she has learned that giving a warning that she will bite is fruitless and go directly for the bite. The main reason birds learn to not give warnings is because people ignore the warning signals that a bird is uncomfortable or is going to bite, thus the bird ends up biting.

My question is: does anyone think it's silly or counterproductive to wear gloves and allow her to be as ruthless as she needs and work this out of her system? Or do you think that when I take the gloves off we will be back to square one?
As others have said... yup! I've heard of some birds who become comfortable with gloves and will happily sit on them without any issues! Take the gloves off? Birds freak out! Ignoring the bite in any manner (even if you put gloves on) is like constantly putting air into a tire when it's got a hole in it. Putting air into the tire may temporarily fix the flat, but it doesn't fix the hole.

I have tried to find a local trainer but to no avail, as they only cover what I have learned in books, dvd's and webinars.
You're in luck! I don't know how "local" this trainer is to you, but you are *SO* much closer to her than I am! And for that, I'm jealous! This trainer is Lara Joseph and we met years ago on another bird forum. I "met" her before she was an animal trainer! Lara walked into a pet store to buy a pooper scooper for her dog and walked out with a "white cockatiel". Well, that cockatiel was actually an umbrella cockatoo! She ended up quickly acquiring two new birds (a female eclectus and a male greenwing macaw), got them the best cages she could (stainless steel!) and started making toys for her birds! And she started learning about training. She has learned from Barbara Heidenreich (Good Bird Inc), Starve Martin (Natural Encounters), Chris Shank (Cockatoo Downs), Susan Friedman (Behavior Works), and I'm sure others as well!'

I officially met Lara in April of 2014 and it was an amazing experience! She was doing a workshop on animal training and two people brought in an animal. One being a chocolate lab, the other an umbrella cockatoo. It was a fun event! (the next weekend, I went and met Barbara Heidenreich at another workshop! :D that was also a huge eye opener!)

Anyway, Lara is located in Ohio, and if you *ever* get the chance to make a trip out to her place, I highly recommend it! I've never been, and I'm green with envy over her setup! I would be more than happy to live in her aviary, I kid you not! :rofl:

The Animal behavior Center is an Educational Center
Lara Joseph | An animal training, behavior, and enrichment specialist.

And since you mentioned about Chloe going to be euthanized.... I would like to point you to these specific blogs about Rocky, Lara's M2. :)

Tears from the Aviary | Lara Joseph
Behavior Trained Through Consistency…A Win/Win Outcome for All | Lara Joseph

She doesn't seem to display traditional discomfort body languages and I believe she operates against the usual grain. Her eyes are too dark to show pinning, she doesn't hiss, bow down, shake or rarely throws her crest.
Barbara Heidenreich's DVD on Understanding Parrot Body Language may be beneficial to you here! :)

You may need to look for other warning signs, such as a wide stance, neck feathers ruffled, open beak, wings slightly away from the body or perhaps the tail feathers fanned out.

Sometimes she does exactly as before but I go for a pet and she lunges then will bite at my legs. When she instigated the contact and she is in my space.
If you know she may bite you when she's on you, keep her off you. Avoid the situation until you can train her more and trust her.

Now, as far as training goes.... you may need to start from inside the cage, door closed. See if you can find an object she is not terrified of (knitting needle, empty pen case, maybe a ball, or some other object). If she's a little afraid, that's ok, you can work with that! Well, you can work with something she's terrified of, but it's easier to work with something she is either not afraid of, or does not show extreme fear towards.

Start from a safe distance (whatever distance she doesn't react to seeing the object) and show her the object. Hide it behind your back (or at least our of her view), then click and give her a treat. Repeat this process multiple times until she "ignores" it while it's near the cage. Once you are at that stage, then click and treat when she looks at the object. Once you have that behavior, then click and treat only when she moves towards the object. Then click and treat when she reaches for the object. Since she has a biting and lunging issue, I do not recommend allowing her to touch the object, but reaching towards it is enough!

Once you have that behavior trained, you can then teach her to climb around her cage to receive a treat! This is target training! :) You can then use that behavior that you just taught her to step up onto your hand or a hand held perch! ;) Well, you'd want to work on target training outside of the cage after she learns to target inside the cage before you move onto teaching her to step up onto something else! But you are setting the foundation of the training itself with that one simple behavior!

Instead of using a dowel or wood perch, try using a rope perch instead! Easiest to use a circular rope swing *or* a straight rope perch bent into a "U" shape, then holding the ends together in one hand. This *might* be less scary than a stick.

Next part.... lunging!!!!!!!! In what circumstances does she lunge? Did you move too fast? Maybe try moving slower? Did you startle her by walking around a corner where she couldn't see you? Try talking calmly before entering her line of sight. Did something in the room or even outside the window startle her? Try to reduce distractions by removing or covering whatever may be scaring her.

Lunging is just like biting... if you "allow" the behavior to occur, thus allowing her to practice that behavior, you are only reinforcing that behavior. Do what you can to try and prevent the behavior from occurring by changing your approach, your behavior or perhaps her environment. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thanks everyone.