• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chipper Update #3

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to read about the drop in weight. I do hope that he will start to put weight back on and that there will be a positive resolution. My vet was the person who suggested trying ginger with my bird. She was on so many things and did not react well to some of them so we were frequently switching meds and trying different things. She did not have yeast but did have asper with major liver damage. With her, medications were administered orally and the ginger or aloe were placed in her water.

I've never had problems with Cheerios. I used them as weaning food and also with sick birds to encourage them to eat because it's a food that they seem to love and it's OK for them. I would even bring some to the vet for one of my birds who was sick and had to stay there for awhile.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Cheerios has only one gram of sugar/ cup of cereal. Kashi Go Lean has 13 grams of sugar/ cup of cereal. Shredded Wheat has no sugar and no salt, is high in potassium, but doesn't have as many trace vitamins and minerals. It all depends on what you bird needs or needs less of. I feed the Kashi only as a sweet treat.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
With yeast on board I need to stay away from sugar in his food. I will look what TJ's has tomorrow. Served up some cooked curley noodles today with a few seeds on top and he did not even look at the dish. Will keep trying on that. I keep on thinking that serving up just seeds and cereals he will drop more weight.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How about millet? Does he like that?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I took a photo of Chipper today and his looks have really been changed by this disease.

Before: index-2_PerfectlyClear.jpg

After: chipper 2014.jpg Not sure how much of this is natural ageing process. Photos taken about 7 months apart.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Awww, he's still a little cutie. I hope he gets better.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
I think he looks thinner, but it could be the angle. He's still beautiful :heart:

Wulfgeist

Strolling the yard
Poor little guy. I'm so sorry you both have to go through all of this. You're an angel for doing so much to help the chap. As always keeping you both in my thoughts. :heart2:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm praying you can get a handle on this. Poor little one.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
He has lost a total of10 gm. I am going to ask about pain meds next vet visit. I cry looking at the changes in sweet Chipper. He still plays and talks but does not want to fly as much. Seems to stay in the cage most of the day. I think the yeast is defeating us. Slowly, ever so slowly. When does one give up?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Keep trying, i could have given up so easily with Rocky. and even though he is gone. i kept trying becus as long as there is a fight it worth the chance.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Oh no I did not know about Rocky. I am so sorry.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sorry, to hear about this. Keeping Chipper in my prayers.

I bought Cheerios & my English budgie won't eat them.

:hug8:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Keep trying, i could have given up so easily with Rocky. and even though he is gone. i kept trying becus as long as there is a fight it worth the chance.
IMO one should do everything they can. I did and got a 2 month reprieve which I still treasure 3 years later. I admire all you did for Rocky and greatly sympathize with Lady Jane.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
He has lost a total of10 gm. I am going to ask about pain meds next vet visit. I cry looking at the changes in sweet Chipper. He still plays and talks but does not want to fly as much. Seems to stay in the cage most of the day. I think the yeast is defeating us. Slowly, ever so slowly. When does one give up?
:hug8: :hug8:Keep trying. You will know. Wishing you lots more time with him.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My two budgies did not want to eat the cereal either. Wish they could pick each one up and at least play with a cheerio.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Thank you Dianne, he was very special bird. i know that Chipper means to you what Rocky meant to me. have you tried like wheatberries that are soaked, or millet that is soaked. Bob's Red Mill makes both products. Rocky was not much on eating toward the end but one thing that he did like was wheatberries. the wheatberries i would soak for 4 to 5 hours after the they boiled for a couple of minutes. cover them and let them soak. my test for them was if you could squeeze them between your thumb and fore finger and they popped. kamut was another one Rocky fav's Bob's Red Mill, you have soak those about 6 hours though. you can freeze all of them once you soak them. i would start with tiny amount of soaked wheat/kamut/ millet to see if they like it. I would warm them up for Rocky. just a few seconds in the micorowave.
Com'on little Chipper you have the fight, just keep working to get better.
froever :tiel2: 's mom

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Vet visit Nov. 11 Saw a different avian vet in the same office. Since Chipper still vomits (not as much) female vets wants me to begin Flagyl. She thinks it will help him to feel better. Says it is a GI antibiotic. If I want I can give him a bit of yogurt if he will learn to eat it.
Also have Reglan for nausea and vomiting if needed. Will continue on the Ampho. in the drinking water for 14 more days and if he is not vomiting then will repeat the labs. Good thing is Chipper was up 2 gm. in weight to 40. :) So it is back to giving meds by beak twice a day. Daisy had a check up today also and seemed to be OK. Her weight is stable at 45 gm. Thanks everyone for your well wishes, it means the world to me. :heart: