• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Chico talking

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
This is the first time I've tried uploading a video... hope it works!

Chico started babbling after we moved house and country in May. Then it progressed to "an old woman on the phone" which is very sweet. Now he's starting to interact with me and his voice is becoming clearer... or perhaps my ears are becoming tuned into his accent. :D

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I'm on the phone...:rofl: Kinda reminds me of Lurch when he babbles his words he learned elsewhere or makes up. He's a lot clearer though and not as much drunken pirate:lol:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Adorable voice, both of you! :heart:

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:faint: That was such a sweet and adorable vid :xflove: I love Chico's and your voice :) so, where are the two of you you going :hehe:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Awww thanks everyone! :hug8:

I'm on the phone...:rofl: Kinda reminds me of Lurch when he babbles his words he learned elsewhere or makes up. He's a lot clearer though and not as much drunken pirate:lol:
Haha Terry! You're obviously better at translating the babble than I am - going to listen again for "I'm on the phone"! :hehe: It's funny how they get clearer. He also does the old lady's laugh which is very sweet.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I'm getting used to trying to interpret lurch when he does his drunken pirate babble. Pretty sure he also said I gotta go etc:lol::heart:
Lurch has whole conversations with himself that were probably the background conversations and noises he heard at his first familys home.
He says words and phrases that sound foriegn or made up, plus laughs and says good morning baby boy. Our used parrots certainly slowly start to let us know about their lives when they talk like that.
He's gotta be comfortable and happy to start talking like that.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It's so wonderful to hear our feathered companions start to communicate with us! Milton is usually clear with his vocalizations...he has trouble with his volume. New words and phrases start out almost inaudible to everyone else but us. (because we're used to his speech patterns) As he gets more comfortable with the word-the volume increases.
I think Chico's accent is just adorable...:D

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
What a total treasure Chico is. You are so lucky to have gotten him.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I was thinking "answer the phone" but I have to admit English accents on TV shows throw me so much I have to use closed captioning !

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for sharing the video. He certainly has a lot to say.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Played it again just now to wake up my amazons (they were snoozing on their play stand)

Love Amazon babble

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Awwww thanks everyone. I do think Chico likes this house better. He's near walls which offer security whereas in the last house they all had to be in the middle of the room for various reasons... and I know he didn't find that comfortable.

I find it amazing to catch a glimpse of his past life in his words. It's sad that the old lady and her husband, Harold (who Chico calls for), have passed away, but I really like "Mrs Harold" from what she says. I think Chico was happy with them. I also think he was bonded to Harold since he loves male humans. His life took a downward turn when Mr and Mrs Harold died and he was passed on through their family. The last person, a grand daughter was going to euthanize him as she didn't want him either. Chico's a lovely boy... not entirely trustworthy but who can blame him?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Considering whether to euthanize? Thankful that didn't happen.

How did you wind up with the bird?

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
The last person, a grand daughter was going to euthanize him as she didn't want him either. Chico's a lovely boy... not entirely trustworthy but who can blame him?
That's so sad that nobody thought he was worth saving, sure glad he ended up in your flock. As far as trustworthy neither is Lurch but he keeps getting better and as long as he isn't constantly homicidal I can deal with it. I think it's part of having a jungle creature anyways, if your not prepared for da bites and occasional setbacks a parrot isn't for you.
Thank you for opening your heart to him and letting him be the grumpy old man he is, I'm sure he knows he's loved but has to acert his dominion to prove a point.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Considering whether to euthanize? Thankful that didn't happen.

How did you wind up with the bird?
My friend Mandy, who gave me Ollie (another rescue), was told about Chico in a frantic call from a co-worker of the granddaughter. She said she'd take him and please don't put him down. Then because Chico was labelled as a "woman hater", she gave Chico to a male friend who expressed an interest in him. This "friend" "looked after" Chico for 4 years, but it soon became apparent to Mandy that Chico wasn't being looked after as he should. The last straw came when she discovered there was no winter heating, no fresh food, and heck, green water towards the end. Mandy was furious and demanded him back. Chico could hardly move at this point because of his arthritis plus he had a new injury - a ruptured air sac. She was going to keep him but I happened to ask her if she had a friend for Ollie. If I took Chico it would free up space for Mandy to take in another needy one. So I said I'd take him. He arrived with Bobbie the Red-lored as she also needed a home.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
God bless Mandy......

MC also had that type of water when I took him in. Sad. But they're both in loving spots now.

Laura729

Jogging around the block
Oh my goodness, Chico's voice and accent are adorable!!! :xflove::xflove::xflove: And I'm so glad he found such a great home with you!

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Chico is a lovely old man. I enjoyed hearing him speak, and with an accent too:xflove: I am so glad you got him and that he is doing well considering his age and arthritis. Obviously a perfectly happy boy:laugh:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Haha - thank you. He's got a strong northern accent and I'm pretty useless at trying to imitate it to make him feel at home! :laugh: