• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chicken kicking mulch out of garden

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
We have landscaping along our back fence that they go into and kick the mulch out of and onto our grass. It slopes up and starts at 6 inches high. I don't I want a tall fence dividing the grass and mulch, but I was thinking maybe a 2 foot white picket fence might keep them out. I know they they can fly into it if they wanted, but would they really want to put in the effort? Haha. Any way to deter them from going in that area?

Sorry, can't fix the title of this post.

Last edited:

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I have chickens..
A 2 ft fence won't keep them out, or mine anyways. I have a 6 ft fence in my backyard and they can get to the top and then jump to the other side.

They have already had a taste of that mulch now :rofl:

I thought your post said chicken kicking children out of garden LOL

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
Yeah I know they are digging for worms, but they are making a big mess with our mulch. After they move the mulch they enjoy taking dirt baths too. They are cute fat chickens and they are definitely enjoying themselves in that area, lol.

I guess I should be glad they haven't tried jumping our six foot fence surrounding our yard.

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
They actually sound so cute! Could you plant something there? Like nontoxic flowers or some stronger bushy like plant. Not sure, get an expert :p :hehe:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:needpics:

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
Did I say mulch on our grass? I meant...mulch on our weeds. Haha. Weeds grow when you can't treat your yard with chemicals. Although, because of the chickens,we are almost spider free!

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
They actually sound so cute! Could you plant something there? Like nontoxic flowers or some stronger bushy like plant. Not sure, get an expert :p :hehe:

Your idea sounds great, but the chickens aren't afraid of getting into bushes. I think they find some of the best bugs there. Sometimes, you will find a bush with a chicken butt sticking out. It is a funny sight. At least their butts are feathery fluffs, haha.

We do have some bushes on lower edge that haven't fully matured. When they mature it might slow down the mess. I can add a few more plants/bushes in the bare spots too. I should just plant bushes and plants throughout the whole thing and get rid of the need for mulch. The chickens would love walking through there looking for bugs..

Thanks again for the idea! It is actually very helpful.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I hope that's what you wanted the title to say! :)

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
Hmmm, maybe I don't have my husband wanting to help rake it up. He just told me he is thinking of moving the border out to where the mulch lays on the grass.Hahahahahahaha. He doesn't feel like raking it up. I don't think so! Anyways, moving the border is more back breaking than raking up the mulch. I don't know what he is thinking!

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
Your idea sounds great, but the chickens aren't afraid of getting into bushes. I think they find some of the best bugs there. Sometimes, you will find a bush with a chicken butt sticking out. It is a funny sight. At least their butts are feathery fluffs, haha.

We do have some bushes on lower edge that haven't fully matured. When they mature it might slow down the mess. I can add a few more plants/bushes in the bare spots too. I should just plant bushes and plants throughout the whole thing and get rid of the need for mulch. The chickens would love walking through there looking for bugs..

Thanks again for the idea! It is actually very helpful.
I am glad to help! I have never owned chickens myself, so I just thought, hey that could work! Your chickens are so adorable. I really want to get some for around my house. :D:heart: