• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chick color guesses? Parrotlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tay05

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kaleigh
Getting ready to set up our albino male parrotlet with a green split to fallow and blue female sometime in the next couple weeks.

Anybody want to guess the colors that are going to come from this?! :D I've heard albino can throw just about any color...

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
What colours were the albino male's parents?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I thought to keep strength in line, you always breed back to a regular green.
Here are some articles including basic genetics~ Parrotlet Breeding

Tay05

Real Name
Kaleigh
Thanks Carole. I'm not sure what color the albinos parents were, he was a craigslist find.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is he an albino or an American white? I think sometimes they now call those dilute blues.

Tay05

Real Name
Kaleigh
nope he's full albino. red eyes and all.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As far as I can tell, you'll get visually green and blue babies with all sorts of non-visual splits. In order to get any lutino or white chicks, both parents have to carry lutino and blue. And since the only recessive they both have is blue, half of them will be blue. That said, I am not a parrotlet genetic expert and I don't know the specifics of fallow. If memory serves, every parrotlet mutation is recessive which means unless your lutino is split to fallow, you won't get any fallow babies. Now someone tell me I'm wrong as this is just a guess.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
From the above link
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Breeding Color Mutation Pacific Parrotlets

By: Sandee L. Molenda, C.A.S.

It is important for anyone that wishes to breed color mutation Pacifics to spend a little time investing in planning and educating themselves before they buy their first pair of color mutations. This is both to protect the potential breeder from disappointment and to produce the healthiest, strongest color mutations possible.​
One must remember that color mutations are, by definition, genetic abnormalities. They are desired genetic flaw, namely new color plumage that is not found on 'normal' or wild-type parrotlets. Breeding color mutations is done by perpetuating these desired genetic flaws. While we hope that we are only replicating the abnormal color gene, there is a risk other, not so desirable genetic flaw are also being produced. This especially true when working with new or recently introduced color mutations. That is the main difference between Pacific parrotlets and other types of hook bills that have long established color mutations such as lovebirds, budgies, Ring necked parakeets and cockatiels. Those birds have been bred for hundreds or even thousands of generations while parrotlet mutations have only been in the United States for around a decade or less. With care and consideration, however, one can produce color mutations that are just as strong and healthy as normal wild-type parrotlets.​
The first rule of thumb is to try and avoid breeding related parrotlets as much as possible. This means do not breed father to daughter, mother to son or the worst, brother to sister. This is called "inbreeding". There is a reason in humans it is illegal to marry a relative and it is because of the high probability of genetic birth defects and it is the same in birds. In parrotlets, even breeding cousins is frowned upon and should be avoided. This is called "line breeding". While there may be circumstances under which inbreeding and line breeding may be utilized but it should only be done by genetics experts working with severely endangered, rare species or new spontaneous mutations that understand the risks and how to avoid them by 'out-crossing' to normal, wild-type parrotlets.​
The next thing to avoid is breeding the same visual color mutation to one another. An example would be to breed a blue mutation to another blue mutation. While this is acceptable with other types of color mutation birds, parrotlets have not been bred long enough to eliminate genetic flaws with this type of breeding. This type of pairing can produce a variety of congenital and/or genetic problems such as low fertility, infertility, high instances of dead in shell embryos, smaller clutches, abnormally sized chicks, higher chick mortality rates, failure to thrive, offspring with weakened immune systems, abnormal feathers, birth defects and lethal genes.​
Along those lines, one should never breed a red-eyed bird to another red-eyed bird. Even with other types of birds, one never should breed red-eyed birds together. This means fallows, albinos, cinnamons and lutinos should never be bred together. Severe birth defects have been known to occur such as blindness, absence of eyes and death.​
Finally, it is important to also have normal wild-type Pacific parrotlets that are completely mutation-free to outcross with your mutation birds. This is the only way to ensure health, strength, vigor and vitality to your mutation lines. Otherwise, after a few generations, you can end up with a 'genetic bottleneck' with birds that have numerous genetic and increasingly severe genetic flaws.​
Breeding unrelated double-splits, using yellow and blue, is as follows:​
6.25% GG
12.50% BG
12.50% YG
25.00% GYBW
6.25% BB
12.50% BW
12.50% YW
6.25% YY
6.25% WW​
GG = Normal Green
BB = Visual Blue
YY = Visual Yellow
WW = Visual White
BG = Blue Split
YG = Yellow Split
BW = Blue Split to White
YW = Yellow Split to White
GYBW = Green Split to Yellow, Blue and White​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Tay05

Real Name
Kaleigh
Carole,
Thanks for all this information! I was aware of the inbreeding dangers but not about the red eyed. I did however assume that since the albino was a mutation a visual green would be my best match. I am only doing this as a small hobby (only ever planning on the 2 breeding pairs I have now, my other pair being a blue and a green) and as it would be neat to get all sorts of chick colors I'm more concerned with getting healthy babies. I appreciate all the information, a few of the things I was unaware of. And the website is always good to go back to!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Something to know about splits. Their parronts may be color mutation. Some offspring split, others not. You do not know if the green that you have is really split or not until Its proven to be split through the results of its offspring.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Before breeding these birds I would make sure they are really good examples of the species. I don't concern myself too much with color as that is just a superficial thing. A lot of parrotlet mutations now are devoloping elongated and skinnier bodies, looser and more stringy feathers. Before I bred a parrotlet I'd be looking for birds that are very moderate in size and weight like their wild caught predecessors. In the 28-32 gram range, and the classic compact pear shaped body and dense tight feathers and good weight. After that, look at color. Keep in mind, a hobby breeder with a couple pairs can produce a hundred chicks or so with thse guys and that can seriously end up impacting the next generation when some of those hit the breeding community. People breeding for color only are doing a disservice to this species and it shows in the lack of quality and good muscle tone in many lines.

Tay05

Real Name
Kaleigh
Before breeding these birds I would make sure they are really good examples of the species. I don't concern myself too much with color as that is just a superficial thing. A lot of parrotlet mutations now are devoloping elongated and skinnier bodies, looser and more stringy feathers. Before I bred a parrotlet I'd be looking for birds that are very moderate in size and weight like their wild caught predecessors. In the 28-32 gram range, and the classic compact pear shaped body and dense tight feathers and good weight. After that, look at color. Keep in mind, a hobby breeder with a couple pairs can produce a hundred chicks or so with thse guys and that can seriously end up impacting the next generation when some of those hit the breeding community. People breeding for color only are doing a disservice to this species and it shows in the lack of quality and good muscle tone in many lines.

Definitely will keep this in mind! I have no weighed them yet but to be they are the classic parrotlet look. And feathers are all in good shape. I'll definitely weight them all before setting up nest boxes.

So glad I posted this though...so much good information I might not normally think of! Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.