• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chewing of flight feathers

DMS1

Moving in
Real Name
Daryl Stafford
I have a young male Lovebird and a very domineering female one. They are both under a year old. She's a bit of a nightmare to be honest but that's another story. I took them to the avian vet and had their wings clipped as they were just running riot around my home. The vet only did a few of the minor flight feather on one wing for each of them. He left the main flight feathers on so that the wing would keep it's shape.

About 2 months later and the girl's feathers have started to noticeably grow back and she has started to fly again. The little boy seems to have chewed off the flight feathers that were left on him and there are no signs of new feathers growing so I assume he may be biting them off too.

He's about 6 months old, the girl is about 10 months.

The vet didn't seem too concerned when I took them back. Should I be? Do I need to do something to stop him chewing his wing tips (if this is what is actually happening? IMG_9371.jpeg

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Bump

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The clip may have left the remaining feathers to be unsupported, and may have broken off due to that. Babies can be pretty clumsy so it's fairly common.

DMS1

Moving in
Real Name
Daryl Stafford
The clip may have left the remaining feathers to be unsupported, and may have broken off due to that. Babies can be pretty clumsy so it's fairly common.
Thanks, so just time really then, which is what the vet said