• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Chemical fire

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
There is a chemical fire burning and we are supposed to keep all Windows closed, I did that but my ducks and rabbits are outside. Should I bring them in? I don’t know how dangerous it is outside but if we have to close our Windows it Will be very dangerous for them too right? My mother doesn’t want them in tonight but I won’t let them breathe that chemical air. It does still get pretty cold at night, and if I bring them in it is a lot warmer then outside. Should I do it or not?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I'd bring them inside if I were you. That does not look good.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Yikes! Stay safe!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
2DAFD8CB-2111-41A6-BA8C-794FE3937514.jpeg 4734FA4D-C329-4AFD-9A4A-F77810E7A07D.jpeg Poor babies are all in my room, it is probably pretty dangerous so here they are. Ducks in my old bird cage and the rabbits in a carrier. It is Pretty stuffed, but better safe then sorry.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Oh my god, that looks terrible! Even if it wasnt a chemical-based fire, I would bring them in just because of the smoke :( Also, can you seal your windows too?

For the wild fires (not chemical) we had in California and Washington this past year, many ppl were using a filter over their box fans to help clean the air in their homes. Also, not sure this would apply to you, but ppl were asked to leave water outside for wild animals that were fleeing the fires and to keep their small pets inside.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Also, :sadhug2: to you and your family and flock! Stay safe!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oh my good, that looks terrible! Even if it wasnt a chemical-based fire, I would bring them in just because of the smoke :( Also, can you seal your windows too?

For the wild fires (not chemical) we had in California and Washington this past year, many ppl were using a filter over their box fans to help clean the air in their homes. Also, not sure this would apply to you, but ppl were asked to leave water outside for wild animals that were fleeing the fires and to keep their small pets inside.
I Will put Some extra water out! Thank you!!:heart: The Windows are completely closed, but not sealed I think. Do you know how that is done perhaps?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm really glad you brought them in. Birds' breathing is so much more efficient than ours that much less VOC will effect them.

I really hope the smoke and vapors dissipate soon. Pray for wind.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm glad you brought them in too! That smoke can't be good for them, especially chemical.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I Will put Some extra water out! Thank you!!:heart: The Windows are completely closed, but not sealed I think. Do you know how that is done perhaps?
I may take that suggestion back because now I remembered where I heard that advice before: my government :roflmao: I lived in NYC during and after the 9-11 terrorist attacks, and we were told that if there was ever a chemical attack, thats what we should do. But when I really think about it, it doesnt sound very effective... So, I'm sorry for suggesting it :(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope everyone is okay and that the fire is out soon.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I'm really glad you brought them in. Birds' breathing is so much more efficient than ours that much less VOC will effect them.

I really hope the smoke and vapors dissipate soon. Pray for wind.
I hope everyone is okay and that the fire is out soon.
I'm glad you brought them in too! That smoke can't be good for them, especially chemical.
Thank you all very much!!

I may take that suggestion back because now I remembered where I heard that advice before: my government :roflmao: I lived in NYC during and after the 9-11 terrorist attacks, and we were told that if there was ever a chemical attack, thats what we should do. But when I really think about it, it doesnt sound very effective... So, I'm sorry for suggesting it :(
Hehe Maybe not then! But you were only trying to help and I appreciate it! I haven’t done it yet anyway because Pippin got stressed out and wanted to sit with me.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
There is a chemical fire burning and we are supposed to keep all Windows closed, I did that but my ducks and rabbits are outside. Should I bring them in? I don’t know how dangerous it is outside but if we have to close our Windows it Will be very dangerous for them too right? My mother doesn’t want them in tonight but I won’t let them breathe that chemical air. It does still get pretty cold at night, and if I bring them in it is a lot warmer then outside. Should I do it or not?
Yes, if you haven't already.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
if you have to go outside, cover your mouth and nose with several layers of cloth with damp layer closest to your face, over nose and mouth. also put on long layers with sleeves and pants, and strip out of all those clothes/ shoes and put them in trash bag outside. get the animals inside if possible their lungs with not handle the chemicals either.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How awful! You can put damp towels around the doors and window sills to help keep out the fumes. I hope they get it out soon!

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

I know everyone is a bit cramped, but better cramped and alive....

To seal your windows you can simple tape. If you have the blue painters tape that would be perfect, easy to remove, does not damage the wood or paint. If you have plastic sheets (or an old shower curtain) that would be awesome, but even just using the tape around the windows would be an added layer of safety.

Since they are not evacuating you, the danger level is not super high. If it was a toxic chemical / hazardous material, they would literally force evacuation, so there is a bit of comfort knowing they are not clearing out your neighborhood, so it's just safety to not directly breath the smoke and off gas burning.

Stay safe and keep us posted!!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Yuck fire is never fun let alone a chemical fire. Do you have any air purifiers in the house? Hope everyone stays safe and healthy!!