1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Check your nuts! (Not a euphemism) Found mold on almonds.

Discussion in 'Safety Avenue' started by Brittany0208, 4/15/19 at 9:39 AM.

1. Brittany0208

Brittany0208 Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

I was giving Java an almond to add to his bowl this morning and I noticed one looked off. So, I
    went through the whole bag and found that a lot of the almonds had mold on them. I bought
    these from Drs. Foster and Smith when they had their sale. I also bought safflower seeds and red
    millet from them. The millet and safflower seeds looked fine, but I threw them out just to be on
    the safe side.

Java loves almonds, and has been getting about three a week. Now I'm worried that he may have eaten bad almonds.

From now on, I will be buying smaller quantities of nuts, seeds and grains.

Peachfaced likes this.
  2. Brittany0208

Brittany0208 Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

This is the one I almost fed him.
    20190415_095618.jpg
    These are the ones that had visible signs of mold.
    20190415_105501.jpg

Peachfaced likes this.
  3. Clueless

Clueless Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Yikes!

4. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor BINGO CHAMPION I Can't Stop Posting!

Shawna
    Oh wow that sucks! I have been feeding the same almonds for months and haven't noticed any like that yet!

5. Mockinbirdiva

Mockinbirdiva Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Andrea
    I'll buy the whole almonds at Walmart in the fall. I pick out the cleanest looking nuts but there's no guarantee visually there wouldn't be something I couldn't see. I don't buy many. Usually I buy the shelled almonds, walnuts, and pecans packed individually in the baking isle. They're happy just the same but don't have the fun of cracking them out of the shell. I hope Java will be ok!

Brittany0208 likes this.
  6. Brittany0208

Thank you. I bought in bulk because it was on sale, and once Java learned how to crack them, he always got excited whenever I reached for the bag. I'll probably buy from Nuts.com in smaller quantities, and I'll be sure to check them before serving.

Mockinbirdiva likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)