• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Check your nuts! (Not a euphemism) Found mold on almonds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was giving Java an almond to add to his bowl this morning and I noticed one looked off. So, I
went through the whole bag and found that a lot of the almonds had mold on them. I bought
these from Drs. Foster and Smith when they had their sale. I also bought safflower seeds and red
millet from them. The millet and safflower seeds looked fine, but I threw them out just to be on
the safe side.

Java loves almonds, and has been getting about three a week. Now I'm worried that he may have eaten bad almonds.

From now on, I will be buying smaller quantities of nuts, seeds and grains.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is the one I almost fed him.
20190415_095618.jpg
These are the ones that had visible signs of mold.
20190415_105501.jpg

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Yikes!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh wow that sucks! I have been feeding the same almonds for months and haven't noticed any like that yet!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'll buy the whole almonds at Walmart in the fall. I pick out the cleanest looking nuts but there's no guarantee visually there wouldn't be something I couldn't see. I don't buy many. Usually I buy the shelled almonds, walnuts, and pecans packed individually in the baking isle. They're happy just the same but don't have the fun of cracking them out of the shell. I hope Java will be ok!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll buy the whole almonds at Walmart in the fall. I pick out the cleanest looking nuts but there's no guarantee visually there wouldn't be something I couldn't see. I don't buy many. Usually I buy the shelled almonds, walnuts, and pecans packed individually in the baking isle. They're happy just the same but don't have the fun of cracking them out of the shell. I hope Java will be ok!
Thank you. I bought in bulk because it was on sale, and once Java learned how to crack them, he always got excited whenever I reached for the bag. I'll probably buy from Nuts.com in smaller quantities, and I'll be sure to check them before serving.

Status
Not open for further replies.