• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Charlotte is limping

TLC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Trenny
So last evening she bit my husband (again). She latched on to his finger and wouldn’t let go. His natural reaction was to shake her off which he did. She seemed fine. In her cage today, she was pretty quiet and I noticed her standing on one foot and thinking that was weird I’d never seen hermdo that before. We started putting up her new humongous cage tonight and she was walking on the floor and I noticed her limping. I though maybe she had hurt her foot on the new cage bars cause they are so much wider than the old cage we had her in and she was struggling to,climb them. However, I have now put two and two together and suspect she injured it while getting shaken off my husband’s bleeding finger. She is eating and drinking and seems fine for the most part. I don’t feel anything or see anything, so thought I would take wait and see approach. Just limping and hold up that foot on her perch.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
How is Charlotte now?

TLC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Trenny
She’s still limping so I made an appointment with the vet which is tomorrow morning. She seems okay, just more mellow but that could also be that she is in a new cage and is a bit wary. I was going to let it go for a few days and see what happened, but if she is in pain, I want some medication...so back to the vet (twice in 3 weeks). The last time, she fell off my shoulder after having her nails clipped and hit her tongue...blood everywhere and wouldn’t eat. Feeling like a very bad bird mommy.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I hope you don't allow her on your shoulder until you get to know her much, much better. That beak on an M2 can do an awful lot of damage and she is really close to your eye.

Poor girl has had a rough start. Hope she has better times to come.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hope its nothing serious, always nice to pain meds around ,,just in case..

TLC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Trenny
I hope you don't allow her on your shoulder until you get to know her much, much better. That beak on an M2 can do an awful lot of damage and she is really close to your eye.

Poor girl has had a rough start. Hope she has better times to come.
I hope so too. Naively, I’ve had her on my shoulder since I got her. She is very gentle to me but I do understand your point and know that I am taking a risk as they can be so unpredictable. I can’t say enough how chill she is other than the extreme unpredictability with my husband.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
She may just not like Men. If she is choosing you as her Person, and she is not fond of Men, she will never like him ever. They are a strange bird, can be very possessive and territorial. If this is true, she will be in full force to protect you and amazing if a Cockatoo has a vengeance they will find a way to get to their enemy. That's flight (even if she never fly's and isn't clipped) they will use those wings and they are good at running on the floor.

Ask me how I know..............:batonthehead:

She's not in my sig, but she is my Girl Sophie an almost 22 yr old Umbrella Cockatoo. She hates one dog, but is good with us.

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I second Hankmacaw's message. Off your shoulder! Even the sweetest bird can strike unexpectedly, and Toos are predictably unpredictable.
Play it safe.
Hope she's feeling better soon.

TLC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Trenny
She may just not like Men. If she is choosing you as her Person, and she is not fond of Men, she will never like him ever. They are a strange bird, can be very possessive and territorial. If this is true, she will be in full force to protect you and amazing if a Cockatoo has a vengeance they will find a way to get to their enemy. That's flight (even if she never fly's and isn't clipped) they will use those wings and they are good at running on the floor.

Ask me how I know..............:batonthehead:

She's not in my sig, but she is my Girl Sophie an almost 22 yr old Umbrella Cockatoo. She hates one dog, but is good with us.

Her previous owner said that she didn’t like men...suspect you are right. He will be happy with the few pets she lets him give her as long as she stops attacking him. I really like the pillow idea...maybe she will eventually get bored with him and stop. Haha