• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Changing names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tango1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marty
This is Marty again. My 4 yr. old Quaker that I just purchased was named Grumpy by his previous owners. I just can't bring myself to call him that because he is anything but grumpy, and, besides, I don't like that name. I renamed him Ricky. Will he be able to adjust to his new name after being called Grumpy for so long?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Yes he will adapt. You might try using both for awhile. Maybe not together as he may then learn that and you will be stuck with him saying "GrumpyRicky" possibly indefinitely, but maybe alternate for awhile. Even if you never use Grumpy he would be fine. Congrats on your new Quaker! I love Quakers! We also need pix!

Last edited:

Tango1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marty
Thank you. I think I'll stick with Ricky. I definitely don't want him saying GrumpyRicky. He already talks some, so he picks words up pretty fast, although it's taking me awhile to get him to talk. I've only had him since Wednesday so he's still adjusting. I posted some pics, but they are on Tango1's post. I also have a Lovebird.

Cinnyluver

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
I like the name Ricky much better. :D

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
:dancing::dancing:He will be fine. I have re-named some of my birds as well and they adapted fine. Enjoy your baby Ricky:hug8:

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
One idea might be to find a name you DO like that sounds similar to his old name. If a bird is used to answering to that name, having something similar might help a great deal.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
One idea might be to find a name you DO like that sounds similar to his old name. If a bird is used to answering to that name, having something similar might help a great deal.
Yes, but nothing good sounds like Grumpy! :lol: Hmmm...Lumpy, Dumpy, Bumpy.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Changing a name is fine. To you he is Ricky. He may remember his prior name if seeing the old owners. I believe one is with the name. Grumpy, storm, stormy, satan, scar,,, none do nothing for me and even affects how people relate to that animal. Looking forward to hearing more. I currently have a quaker LB (little bird, lady bug, laughing bird.....all apply). I call her my little lady bug!

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I changed 1 of my birds name, as I didn't like the name "Barcardi" for a bird, I changed his name to Jake, & he must love his name, cause he says it all the time. It didn't take him long either, to say his new name.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't see any reason not to change :) Koopa came to me as "Val"...but of course, she didn't know that anyways so it wasn't a big issue!

Tango1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marty
Thanks everyone for your responses. Ricky is already responding to his new name, and I think last night he actually said "Ricky good boy". He learned "peek a boo" yesterday and I only said it to him 5 or 6 times. He also says "step up", but doesn't like to do it (go figure) and does the wolf whistle. His old owner has a cat, so he was going crazy last night with kitty, kitty, kitty. He was a big chatter box last night and then sometimes he just mumbles and I can't understand what he's trying to say. He is so funny and such a joy to be with. He's very even tempered and let's me do anything with him. Right now I'm starting the training for putting a harness on him. He's being very cooperative. He does his own sounds, which I think is his way of singing, because he prances sideways up and down his perch like he's dancing.
Well, I guess I've bragged enough. :heart:

Marty

Lil Birds R Cool

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jan
I've changed a few names that I didn't like. My first cockatiel was named "Prophecy" by the bums that dumped her off in a shoe box in front of a pet store with a note attached. I changed her name to "Priscilla".

Got in a budgie named "Psycho". Not going there- he became "Sugar".

Blue crown conure was "Bird". Named her "Paulie".

Goldie's lori "Little Foot" is now "Little Feet".

Sun conure named "Pickle" (I already have a Pickles)- now "Tiki".

Most keep their names though. :dancing:

Katster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love Ricky more ! Cngrats on your new buddy :D and pictures please :)

Tango1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marty
Thanks. I do too. I went with Ricky because my daughter has a blue head pionus that she named Lucy, so I thought Ricky and Lucy from the I Love Lucy show would be cute.

Tango1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marty
Wow, you did make a lot of name changes. LOL Ricky is adjusting very well to his new name and is starting to responding to it. As a matter of face, Ricky is a quick study when it comes to talking and I think he said Ricky good boy last night. He does a lot of mumbling, so sometimes I can't understand what he's saying, but the words that I've been teaching him are pretty clear. He's a lot of fun.

Tango1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marty
Click on Tango1 and then click on view profile and you'll also see pictures of Ricky. Thanks, I like Ricky too, and we're having a great time together. He's a real sweetheart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.