• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chance Vs My mom

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
I didnt want to hog Johns thread, so I figured I would start another for this particular story. :D
Chance pup.jpg Chance.jpg Chance1.jpg chance2.jpg

This is My Heart dog, Chance. I got Chance while I was a senior in high school. I walked into Petsmart to get ferret food, decided to look at the pounds "Last Chance" adoptions. (A program where animals that where slated to be PTS that day where taken to Petsmart in hopes of getting adopted. All animals NOT adopted are returned and PTS that evening.) It was love at first sight....and I could not leave without him. It was his last chance, I took a chance bringing him home, and so the name Chance became his...He was full of them.

Chance was a great dog, would do anything to please me. I was his world, and it wasnt long before he was mine. I would teach him tricks I saw on TV just to see if he could do them. He never let me down, and ALWAYS remembered them. 10 minutes of work, he had a new trick. Would "forget" it for months, and give him the command for the trick...and he would remember it like we had been practicing for months...yes he was that scary smart. He was also my shadow ~ where I was Chance was. He loved to be with people, and was one of those dogs that seriously you forgot was there he was so good. Which leads to the story of Chance Vs. My mom.

I had to go on a trip to visit my (then) husbands family. Chance was not able to come with. So I left him with my mother to watch. Now my mom had 2 other dogs, a Cocker Spaniel, and a Sheltie. Neither of which had any training what so ever. My mom decided to go out and weed her front flower garden. So she goes out front. Chance wanted to go out with her but she told him no. She didnt want him running off. About 5 minutes into weeding (Long enough for Chance to observe that she was NOT going anywhere) and my mom hears the front door open and all 3 dogs run out. Chance had opened the door to let himself out to be with her. :D Then he goes and lays in the shade of the tree in the yard. My moms 2 dogs? Ran the neighborhood...Took her nearly an hour to round up her dogs. The entire time Chance was laying in the shade of the tree in her front yard.

So my mom gets her dogs in the house, and tells Chance to go inside too. So he does ~ she then locks the front door so she can go back to her gardening. My mom had a dog door...So ~ again, Chance watches. My mom is weeding the flower bed, and she next hears the gate....Yup. Chance opened the latch on her 6 foot fence gate to come join my mom in the yard. Again, her two dogs go running the neighborhood....Chance went and laid in the shade of the tree. My mom spends another hour rounding up her dogs, gets everyone in and decides she is going to not only padlock the back gate, but lock the front door and she should be "good". There is NO WAY, that Chance can get out. So she does just that, and goes and yet again starts trying to weed.

About 5 minutes later, she hears the dogs in the yard, and the next thing she knows Chance, and Chance alone is in the front yard with her. Chance jumped the 6ft fence, then went and laid in the shade again while my mom weeded...she finally decided it wasnt worth fighting over. :rofl: For the record, during all of this Chance never once stepped off my moms lawn...lol

I get a phone call from my mom..she is SPITTING mad over the entire ordeal. (She called me after the second time of chasing her dogs). She calls to tell me how "ill behaved" my dog is. She does not understand why he is "acting out" And promptly tells me she is NEVER watching him for me again he is too much of a handful for her....I could barely contain my giggles. There is no doubt who was smarter that day..and I have to say it wasnt the human. :rofl:

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:lol:your poor mom..:hehe:scary smart is right:D & soooooo beautiful..good story;)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
one smart and beautiful dog!!

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
one smart and beautiful dog!!
Thanks You guys...I miss that boy every day still :(

At 11 years old Chance had a stroke. I was so upset on the way to the vets I couldnt drive...My mom had to come get me and take me. I bawled all the way there. I thought for sure that I had lost him right then and there. Chance lived through his stroke, but was never the same. The stroke led to doggie dementia, I had him for just over a year after that. At the end, my sweet boy was so confused he didnt know where his food and water bowls where, which doors led to outside, and didnt know who most people where. My sweet boy who let my oldest daughter literately tear fur out till he looked like he had mange, and never so much as offered a curled lip during it. Growled and lunged at my middle daughter who was only a few months old. She was across the room from him...he was no where near her, but it was enough to know my poor sweet boy was no longer really there. I had to make the decision to have him put down. Had Chance "known" what he had done he would have been mortified....He LOVED babies and kids and it didnt matter whos they where.

Chance truly was a once in a lifetime dog. He taught me so much. They say that you have one or two truly good dogs in your life time. Chance was mine. I still love BCs, and I own 2 even to this day. But I know that chances of another Chance coming along are slim to none. He was my once in a life time Chance...His name always fit him perfectly...