• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chaco BFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenwren59

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
I was just watching the amazing free-flight video of the young woman with the chatty BFA. The person who posted it referred to the bird as a Chaco. I have heard this term before but am not sure what type of BFA it refers to.

Is there anyone out here who can tell me what a Chaco BFA looks like along with anything more about them? Anyone have some pics to help me see what they look like?

Thanks!

Lahdeedahdee

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
An often erroneous mislabeled bird is the Blue front Amazon, Some misinformed dealers and many breeders still to this day try to fix labels such as "Chaco" Blue front. What does this mean? There is no such species "Chaco" Blue Front Amazon Parrot. There is a region in Argentina South America named Chaco Province. This was once the main export of many South American birds including the colorful Blue Fronted subspecies Yellow Wing (amazona aestiva xanthopteryx) of the True Blue Front Amazon origin Brazil. The birds trapped in the Chaco regions were colorful with yellow and red in the wings (shoulders). True Blue Fronted does not have extended yellow color on the wings. Brazil never legally allowed many exports of any fauna or flora. Therefore most people today would never see the real true Blue Fronted Amazons. Most "Blue Fronts" today are the so called "Chaco" if you have to label them. Keeping in mind that you would have to know the origins of a given bird in order for any of these names to have any validity. So most of these slang names are passed around without one really understanding that they are not speaking of a real species, its mostly describing where the birds originated from many years ago. But keep in mind that most breeders do not even have a clue..They think they have "Chaco Blue Fronts??)

Basically green in color. The bend of the wing may vary from reddish yellow to red at the bend of the wing. The yellow winged sub species being mostly yellow with little red. The feathers on the nape have dark borders giving the scalloped effect. The beak is dark, nearly black. The head is a variable mixture blue and yellow with a definite blue forehead. The cheeks and crown are yellow. The red in the flights is rather extensive. This species is one of the best talking species of amazons. Although some may not think that this species is as talented as the Yellow Naped Amazon, we have seen some that were actually better, It mostly depends on the training. Blue Fronted Amazons seem to be active and out going and many people relate this to aggressive behavior, nothing could be farther from the truth. They are curious and mischievous.

Blue Fronted Amazons are one of three most popular species of amazon parrots.

Bluefronted Amazon Parrot

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Thanks for the education! I suppose this is must like the Bolivian Blue and Golds? Learn something new every day. Thank you again!

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
Joanie Doss also has great descriptions and pictures that show the differences between the two types of BFA's named in the article that Lahdeedahdee linked. I found it really helped me to see the two types side by side.

Blue Front Amazons

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
An often erroneous mislabeled bird is the Blue front Amazon, Some misinformed dealers and many breeders still to this day try to fix labels such as "Chaco" Blue front. What does this mean? There is no such species "Chaco" Blue Front Amazon Parrot. There is a region in Argentina South America named Chaco Province. This was once the main export of many South American birds including the colorful Blue Fronted subspecies Yellow Wing (amazona aestiva xanthopteryx) of the True Blue Front Amazon origin Brazil. The birds trapped in the Chaco regions were colorful with yellow and red in the wings (shoulders). True Blue Fronted does not have extended yellow color on the wings. Brazil never legally allowed many exports of any fauna or flora. Therefore most people today would never see the real true Blue Fronted Amazons. Most "Blue Fronts" today are the so called "Chaco" if you have to label them. Keeping in mind that you would have to know the origins of a given bird in order for any of these names to have any validity. So most of these slang names are passed around without one really understanding that they are not speaking of a real species, its mostly describing where the birds originated from many years ago. But keep in mind that most breeders do not even have a clue..They think they have "Chaco Blue Fronts??)

Basically green in color. The bend of the wing may vary from reddish yellow to red at the bend of the wing. The yellow winged sub species being mostly yellow with little red. The feathers on the nape have dark borders giving the scalloped effect. The beak is dark, nearly black. The head is a variable mixture blue and yellow with a definite blue forehead. The cheeks and crown are yellow. The red in the flights is rather extensive. This species is one of the best talking species of amazons. Although some may not think that this species is as talented as the Yellow Naped Amazon, we have seen some that were actually better, It mostly depends on the training. Blue Fronted Amazons seem to be active and out going and many people relate this to aggressive behavior, nothing could be farther from the truth. They are curious and mischievous.

Blue Fronted Amazons are one of three most popular species of amazon parrots.

Bluefronted Amazon Parrot
Ahhhh, another BFA fan. :hug8:

I concur wholeheartedly with you that many BFAs are as talented as YNAs and may even be better than some YNAs. I have BFAs here with amazing vocabularies and who sing songs all-day long. Curious and mischievous is a good description of their personalities.

Here are photos of two of our BFAs which show the variations in color.

This first photo shows a pet BFA hen of ours named Cha-Cha who has no yellow on her shoulders. She also happens though to be one of our best talkers and singers.
DSC01294.jpg

This photo is of a pet male BFA of different lineage whose name is Romeo....notice the yellow on his shoulders. He also has yellow "stockings", which don't show the best in this photo but all off-spring produced by his parents have them. He also is a very good, clear talker. And like all BFAs, is a real character. We named him Romeo because he loves everyone. :)
DSC00002.jpg

jenwren59

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Thanks for this info. I had gone to Joanie's site but I was still not sure about this term. I have heard more than one person say something like "Oh, you have a rare Chaco BFA". I was confused by this label.

The more I look, the more variation I see in the blue fronted parrots. I have Rosemary Low's book on Amazons - I'll go back tonight and look more in there. My bird looks like Joanie's Kenai and she says he is a yellow-wing - Amazona aestiva xanthopteryx.

But Rocket is small, 350 grams.

I guess this taxonomy thing is not settled completely, even with the experts.

I just think my bird is so pretty I can hardly stand it. Check out her feathers. :hug8:

Attachments

Angela_tiger_1999

Real Name
Angela
Thanks for this info. I had gone to Joanie's site but I was still not sure about this term. I have heard more than one person say something like "Oh, you have a rare Chaco BFA". I was confused by this label.

The more I look, the more variation I see in the blue fronted parrots. I have Rosemary Low's book on Amazons - I'll go back tonight and look more in there. My bird looks like Joanie's Kenai and she says he is a yellow-wing - Amazona aestiva xanthopteryx.

But Rocket is small, 350 grams.

I guess this taxonomy thing is not settled completely, even with the experts.

I just think my bird is so pretty I can hardly stand it. Check out her feathers. :hug8:

Sooo Pretty, I thought I was the only one who took pic's of the feathers that fallout :rofl: Heres a picture I took one day last week :lol: Do you have any pictures of the birdy yours came out of, I'd love to see her :dance4:
I LOVE BFA"S!!

Attachments

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
The moniker 'Chaco' is used synonymously with Yellow-winged Blue-fronted Amazon (A. aestiva xanthopteryx), meaning they're one and the same bird. Some people are particular about the usage of place names as common animal names when the two are not representative of one another, i.e., when the animal that is identified with a place name does not actually hail from there. Although I can understand such misgivings because of the inaccuracy involved, if a label becomes entrenched as a name that people in a given field have familiarized themselves with over the years and understand what is being referred to, there's not much we can do to change things unfortunately.

Cape Parrots are still called that even if the two subspecies commonly raised in popular aviculture aren't indigenous to that region of Africa, but everyone who keeps parrots has come to know these lovely birds by this appellation. I'd rather say 'Chaco' than say Yellow-winged Blue-fronted Amazon or Amazona aestiva xanthopteryx which nearly ties my tongue in a Gordian knot. :eek:

This subspecies is not very common and if anyone knows with certainty of any breeder, American or Canadian, please let me know or list them here.

Some people have reported a size difference between the nominate and A. a. xanthopteryx which is exemplified by the following picture (nominate on the right):

The primary difference is the extensive yellow covering, hence the common name:

I was told my Max was a Chaco....
It's possible he was, especially if he had an abundance of yellow on his wings. :shrug3: :)

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Very interesting. We were told that our friend's BFA is a Chaco, and her has a bright blue band on his forehead, much larger than our Keikoa.
Keikoa has more of a subtle "petal" design, fading to yellow. As far as I remember, though, both have red and yellow on the shoulders.

Both are very clever singers, whistlers and playful and acrobatic.
Keikoa replies very appropriately, is forever stopping people in their conversations with her, "Whatever!"
and saying "Bye-bye" at the right time. (When someone leaves or we put her or another bird in the bird room.

The red on Keikoa's shoulders isn't always apparent.

My girl....:heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.