• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the Month/November 2011, Yvonne's (Impala400) RODRIGO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
I am too excited!

It is with great pleasure that I announce the Celebirdy for the month of November.........The one and only,beautiful Rodrigo!
:loveshower::loveshower::loveshower:

Here is what Yvonne had to say about her gorgeous baby.

Wow! How exciting and what an honor for Rodrigo!

1. How did you aquire your bird?

Rodrigo came to me through my youngest sister. A breeder had given a black masked lovebird to her to find a home for because the bird was severely splay legged. My sister didn't have room so she called me. I decided to name the bird Rodrigo after a blind music composer. Unfortunately this bird only survived a few days after going to my sister. Imagine my surprise when a few days later I found out that there was a clutch mate that was also splay legged and needed a home. I decided to keep the name Rodrigo. Now the problem was getting him. My sister lived in Alabama at the time and I lived in Ohio. The solution was for my sister to keep him a few months until Thanksgiving of 2009. Then we would meet at my parents' house in Tennessee at which point I became the proud owner of Rodrigo.:heart:

2. What is your birds name, age and sex?

Rodrigo is a black masked lovebird. He's around 2 1/2 to 3 years old. I've always called him a he but I'm beginning to wonder if Rodrigo is a Rodriga as he/she/it has been shredding a lot of paper into beautiful strips lately.:eek:

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?

Rodrigo is recall trained. I've also done target training with him. Although not really a trick, I think his balancing acts are amazing. When I first got him, I thought he would never be able to perch. However, he can balance on my laptop screen, cereal bowl edges, perches, and even on one foot with the other one pointing straight at the sky.:D

4. What are some of your birds favorite foods?

It takes special effort to get Rodrigo to try new foods as I have to hold it for him in order for him to try it. He'll eat Roudybush pellets, seed, bird bread, rice, and dried papaya on his own. If I hold it, he'll at least try a new item.:huh:Not many foods make it past the try stage.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
Originally, Rodrigo was supposed to be my husband's bird (my husband felt left out). Consequently, Rodrigo lived in my husband's office where my husband spent most of my time. I was still in charge of cleaning:rolleyes:. One day, shortly after we got Rodrigo, my husband decided to clean the cage. Rodrigo, confused by the change, got frightened and started to scrabble around in this plastic tube he used to have. With a foot, he managed to launch a fresh dropping at my husband and nail him in the forehead. The screams and noises coming from my husband still crack me up to this day.:rofl: My husband, on the other hand, does not consider this funny.:p

6. How has your bird enriched your life?
I can't imagine life without Rodrigo. Rodrigo has taught me the importance of tenacity and perseverence. This tiny bird kept working until he was able to perch and walk beyond my wildest expectations. Seeing and being around Rodrigo always cheers me up and brings a smile to my face. He takes joy in his life exactly as he is and is a constant reminder for me to do the same.

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
I've actually never gotten to interact with another black masked so I'm not sure if Rodrigo is normal for the species or not..
Rodrigo loves to be around people and is very inquisitive. He is slightly smaller than a peach faced lovebird and has, to me, a more pleasant, quiet voice. Rodrigo is very intelligent and easy to work with and train. He is not aggressive and is very even tempered and calm. If he is indicative of the species, I think that black maskeds make wonderful companions and pets.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
When I agreed to take Rodrigo, lovebirds were actually on my "do not want" list. My sister had 2 peach faced that I considered too noisy (Boy a lot has changed since then;)) Compared to my peach faced lovebird, I find Rodrigo less shrill and much quieter. To me, he is not much louder than my budgies.
Rodrigo does like to play and is a excellent flier. However, he is not as hyper as my peach faced and prefers to stay in one location to play but that is most likely a result of the limitations of his legs.

9. What are some of your birds quirks?
Rodrigo loves to share my water.:confused: If I am drinking from a bottle of water, Rodrigo will come over and stare at me until I pour some into the cap for him to drink. Rodrigo also periodically checks on everybody when he is out of the cage. Although I'm generally in the same room as the birds, my husband has an office that he spends a lot of time in. Rodrigo will fly to that room and, if the door is open, find a spot to land and watch for a while. If the door is closed, he will perch outside the door and scream until my husband opens up. Rodrigo also has a bedtime ritual. When I cover him at night, he will do this imitation of Doisy's (irn) scream (only less annoying). I'll reply "Good night Rodrigo" and he'll sleepily scream back. This is repeated a few times. Last, Rodrigo is a camera hog. There has been so many times when I've been trying to take pictures of other birds and here comes Rodrigo. He'll waddle right in front of the lens and sit there. I swear he even poses!:eek:

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?
He doesn't talk but he can imitate the budgie chirps and Doisy's (irn) scream.

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?
Sunflower seeds and millet. Sunflower seeds are highly valued around this house.:D

Attachments

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
omg, rodrigo is absolutely adorable!! =D

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Congrats!!!! :dancing:

Rodrigo is such a cutie :heart:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Congratulations Yvonne and Rodrigo!!!!

Rodrigo is adorable! :)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
What a sweetheart!! He is so beautiful and you have done a wonderful job with him! Nice interview!:hug8:

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
Congrads!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! Rodrigo is beautiful! I enjoyed your interview!

Matt

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Rodrigo is an awesome little guy! I enjoyed reading more about his adventures. :heart::heart::heart:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Congrats! Rodrigo is adorable :heart:

Deej

Real Name
Deena
YAY what a great choice, I'm such a Rodrigo fan. :dance4: He just seems to have that "nothing's going to stop me" attitude and he's so darn cute. :heart: Congrats big guy.

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
Great interview! Rodrigo is very handsome...I've always loved black masked lovebirds :heart:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Congratulations. I'm always amazed at how special needs birds are able to adapt and live their lives like nothing is wrong.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Congrats!

Leza

Biking along the boulevard