• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the Month/May 2011-Renae's Keiba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
:thewave::thewave:
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
:starshower::starshower::starshower:
So excited to announce that the very handsome Keiba is our Celebirdy for the month of May!

1. How did you acquire your bird?
I had done a lot of research on Indian Ringnecks, unsure at first if I would be ready to add a “medium” sized bird to the flock as I only had small birds (Cockatiels, Quaker, GCC) at the time. I spoke to Indian Ringneck owners, as well as Indian Ringneck breeders, and took notes, many, from their behavior, to interaction and noise level. After thinking over the next couple of months, I was prepared to put in the time, space, feeding and cleaning of a medium sized bird, I had also slightly changed the routine without messing it up completely.

I was definitely not going to just go out and get an Indian Ringneck, even though I knew what I was in for. I emailed a local breeder who breeds Indian Ringnecks, and asked him if he had any babies, he said he had 2 – 1 Blue and 1 Blue Lacewing, I decided on the Blue Lacewing, it was hard, but definitely one of the best choices I have ever made! I love Keiba dearly, he has helped me through hard times, and he means a lot to me.

2. What is your birds name, age and sex?
His name is Keiba, he is 1 year and 7 months old, turning 2 years old on September 14th 2011. He hasn’t been DNA sexed, but going by behavior and others opinions, 100% sure he is a male.

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?
Keiba doesn’t do any special tricks unless you call whistling a trick? He does whistles. I have however, recently started clicker training with him, but it is all new to him, and not sure if any special tricks will happen, but I don’t expect it and don’t mind at all.

4. What are some of your birds favorite foods?
Keiba will eat anything he can get his beak on (food-wise), but his absolute favorite foods are corn, apple, carrot, and toast.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
Keiba never fails to make people laugh! Most things he does are funny, especially things he says. The newest and funniest thing he started doing is bopping his head up and down while saying ‘dance’ over and over again. He also answers himself while having a little conversation with himself, ‘Boppy’ ? (this is his nickname, lol) followed by ‘What?’. There is a lot of other things, but they are my 2 favorites, he gives kisses and says thank you, too.

6. How has your bird enriched your life?
Wow, tough question. I really couldn’t imagine not having Keiba in my life.. he is so affectionate, sweet, and close to me, he is probably the closest to me out of all my birds actually, we have a bond I don’t have with any of my other birds, and there is not a lot of Indian Ringnecks that are like Keiba, so I think of him different to other Indian Ringnecks. Besides that, he has also helped me through tough times, been there to cheer me up when I am feeling down, cuddle with me while I cry, make me laugh until I am crying, and show me how much joy a bigger bird can bring, and how much of a pleasure it is to have a bigger bird in your life and it be so rewarding. Everything about him makes me love him that much more, he is just amazing and has such a big heart.

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
I urge those wanting to get an Indian Ringneck, or those who are looking into getting an Indian Ringneck, to do plenty of research before-hand, it is no good getting the bird, then doing research — there is NEVER “enough” research either, because you will find you will still learn new and different things all the time. Indian Ringnecks are not one of the easiest birds to have to put it simple. They do need a lot of interaction (one-on-one time), as well as they can get quite loud, so both these *especially* need to be taken into consideration when looking into getting an Indian Ringneck.

I will say though, Indian Ringnecks do make a wonderful companion.. they are funny, sweet, and have a great personality, but they are not for everyone, so don’t go out and get one because you think they look awesome and they will do tricks and talk, because let’s face it, it may not even happen! Don’t make the bird suffer because you made the wrong choice and had expectations in your mind only while choosing a bird.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
Keiba is a very active bird, he loves flying around, climbing on things, chewing, getting into trouble and destroying anything he gets his beak on. (he isn’t big on foraging) As for noise level, well, he isn’t really that loud, once or twice during the day he might let out a scream, but he isn’t constantly loud, he prefers to talk.

9. What are some of your birds quirks?
1) Hanging upside down 2) He likes to glide up and down along the inside top of his cage.

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?
‘Boppy?’ (his nickname) followed by ‘What?’.

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?
Sunflower seeds.

Attachments

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
:Congratwav: Renae and Keiba!! I enjoyed learning more about him, he is magnificent!! :heart:

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Yay! Congrats Boppy :p (super cute nickname btw) ;)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Big congrats, Renae, and thanks for telling us more about your gorgeous boy! :hug8:

Attachments

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Congrats Renae and Keiba!
Great interview :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Matt

MarleysMom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Debbie
Congratulations! Thanks for telling us all about your baby.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Congratulations!!!! What a great interview. I really enjoyed learning more about your Keiba. He is gorgeous and sounds adorable.

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Whar a terrific birdie profile. And to Keiba "Boppy what"

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Congratulations, Renae! Keiba is beautiful!

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwwww, congratulations, Keiba!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Congrats Renae and Keiba!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks so much everyone, we are absolutely thrilled! :D :hug8: (Well, more so Keiba than me :p)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
congratulations gorgeous

ArloDuncan

Real Name
Steve
:Congratwav: He is just so Stunning!! I have never seen a Ring neck in that color before.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
:chipmunks::congratualtions::chipmunks:So happy you have been chosen. Could not have happened to a nicer roady!

CKJ

Real Name
Cindy
Congratulations Renae and Keiba!! Enjoyed reading about Keiba ~

Status
Not open for further replies.