• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the Month/May 2010/Birdasaurus' Honu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Please join me and congratulate Birdasaurus' Hahns Macaw, Honu. He has been chosen as Celebirdy for the month of May.
:thewave::thewave::thewave:
:starshower::starshower::starshower:

1. How did you aquire your bird?
My husband and I first became aware of the Hahns while visiting a local bird store. We decided that one of them would be our next bird so when it came time we sought out a breeder who happened to be in Georgia. Honu flew in and met me at O'Hare airport. My first experience with him was him offering me a sprouted bean through the door of his carrier and it's been love ever since :)

2. What is your birds name, species, age and sex?
Honu is a soon-to-be two year old male Hahns Macaw. May is his hatch month!

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?
He's not really a do-what-you-ask-him-to kind of bird....lol I suppose if pooping on walls is a trick, he's your bird!

4. What are some of your birds favorite foods?
He's a very picky eater when it comes to the healthy stuff! He of course loves the junk fruit like grapes and watermelon and pomegranate juice is always welcomed as well.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
Even though it involves me getting bit....it has to be the time when his foot fell through the cardboard soda fridge-pack box and he couldn't see it, so he freaked out. When I went to help him he bit into my finger to pull himself out and I screamed bloody murder....which made him let go of me, look me dead in the eye, and he HUMAN screamed back at me at the top of his lungs. It hurt, but boy did it make me laugh!!

6. How has your bird enriched your life?
I can't imagine my life without my green monster. He can always make me laugh when I'm feeling down and always knows when to kiss me and say "I love you" to get out of trouble :) He is also my first "big" bird so he will always hold that special place in my heart.

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
That they are a very rowdy bunch! He loves to rough-house and if you are looking for a beaks-off type of bird, a Hahns is not for you. However, if you are up for the challenge of keeping up with this crazy ball of feathers then he'll be a great friend and goofball for life.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
He is active almost all day save for a nap daily around 3pm. Otherwise he is always hanging, climbing, or banging on something! He's definitely not the quietest bird and his scream can be at obnoxious levels when he really wants something you won't give him. Mostly he likes to repeat his favorite words over and over again as well as sing....we're still telling him to keep his day job but he insists on pursuing his music career. Simon Cowell would not approve!

9. What are some of your birds quirks?
The biggest quirk has to be his size. Hahns are on average 140-165 grams...He clocks in at a whopping 180 grams of healthy not-so-mini-macaw. Personality-wise his quirks include him being the resident curfew manager. If you wait too long to put the birds to bed, he continues to yell NIGH-NIGH! NIGH-NIGH! until he is put to bed. He also has the most awkward dance moves I have ever seen....one is him standing straight up but shifting his weight side-to-side and then sticking his neck out to the side and recoiling it quickly (think Quagmire from Family Guy if you know the show....)

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?
Honu isn't the biggest talker as once he learns a word, he sticks to it. He loves HI! Nigh-nigh, what's up, and alright. We hear these at least 100 times a day. I was very surprised when I sneezed and he first said Bless you! Now he faithfully says it every time someone sneezes. He can be polite once and awhile!

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?
Pomegranate juice is the one thing he will NEVER turn down! I'm sure he'd bathe in it if we let him....

Attachments

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
This is awesome. Big congrats! I love the video and the interview. Honu is such a cutie.

Attachments

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Congratulations!!:dance4::thewave::bounce1::starshower:
What a wonderful interview. So nice to know a little more about Honu! Guess Chris picked out a good song for the video huh? :lol:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Congrats! I hope you liked the song I picked for your little wild thing :D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! Honu is beautiful!

Matt

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Aww!! I love Honu!!! He's sooo cute!!

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
Congratulations!!!!!!!
loved reading abt Honu

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
He's adorable! Congrats!!

Ginger

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
congratulations I love the wild thing Honu:heart:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
:chipmunks::Congratwav::chipmunks:

Loved reading all about your beautiful little companion. Also seeing all of his pictures and the music chosen was just right!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
congratulations beautiful boy!!!:dance4:

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Oh my gosh! I LOVE IT! Thank you so much!!! :) The song is absolutely perfect for him!

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
Congrats

Status
Not open for further replies.