• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the month/March2013/Samantha the Queen! (Anne & Gang)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Hi roadies! Please join me and congratulate Anne & Gang's Samantha!
She has been chosen as Celebirdy for the month of March, 2013

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

:thewave::thewave:

This is what Anne had to say about her beautiful, adorable QUEEN...

OH MY GOD.....I AM SO HONORED..AND THE QUEEN WILL BE HONORED TOO!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!

1. How did you acquire your bird?
Samantha was purchased from a local breeder. We had a female rescue tiel named Lou, who we got froma coworker of mine. She had been literally left alone in a room for days on end and tortured by my coworker's kids. I had no intention of getting another bird but when I heard my coworker say"Oh she does make noise but only when I forget to feed her, after about a week, she starts chirping.: That was it. That night we went and got Lou and she was in our life for over 4 years before she died. Dub was so devastated and would not stop crying so I looked up a local breeder & dragged him over there . The woman's house was a disaster zone but her bird room was immaculate. & we soon had over 20 little tiels, in varying degrees of flight landing all over us. The littlest one ofall flew over to my shoulder . I took one look & pointed. WE brought Sam out into the woman's kitchen to put a deposit on her . She was on Dub's shoulder by this time & the lady's hubby was hand feeding baby lovebirds on the kitchen counter. Sam took one look & dive bombed..she knocked the poor baby lovebird away & started eating!! The man just laughed & said, "oh this one is feisty, she always does that & is always the first one out. We didn't think she would make it cause she is so little." We waited 3 1/2 long weeks to get her finally (she wasnt weaned) & she came home with us on Sept 21/2006 ..Two hours after Sam came home I got a call from the nursing home my father was in, saying he had died. It was as if my Dad gave us a gift...I could almost hear him say "Do not mourn me, here, here is a precious little gift for you to love."

2. What is your birds name, age and sex?
Sam is a girl, all girl but we thought she was a boy as she talks and does many bad boy, er girlie things. until she laid an egg one day......so she became Samantha.

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?
She talks!! Female tiels don't usually talk so she had us fooled..She says bad baby boy, a few other words and sings a mean "Pepsi commercial" . She also is a great bird imitator and does a dove, coo coo coo a crow, caw caw caw and my favorite is a finch. She used to sit for hours right next to Fletcher the finche's cage and meep with him. After he died this was very touching as every once in a while, Samantha will meep, and it reminds me of Fletcher.

4. What are some of your birds favorite foods?
Are you kidding? She loves everything. She is an eater, Thank god she can fly or she would weight 500 lbs. She loves broccoli the best of all but will be beside us no matter what at dinner time. So we eat a lot healthier because of her. but her hands down favorite is Kentucky Fried Chicken. We cannot afford to buy it very often for sure, maybe once every four months. But I swear she can smell it come through the door. She is on it like white on rice and demanding a piece of chicken before we even get it out of the box. Not exactly in the recommended tiel foods group.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
She does so many funny things, it is hard to pinpoint just one. But she is an egg layer, hilarious to hear her roll her eggies around and mutter, "Bad Baby Boy, bad baby boy." Also Sam is a non cage pooper, has never once pooped in her cage. Princess Mitch went in her cage & pooped. The look on Sam's face was priceless.. She was mortified. So she snuck over to Mitch's cage & pooped in it!! Now whenever Mitch is otherwise occupied Sam sneaks in her cage, eats all her food & leaves a nice big poop!"

6. How has your bird enriched your life?
She saved Dub's life. Around five months after we got Sam, Dub learned he could never work again. He was devastated & sank into a deep depression. But he had Sam. If she was not around to look after, I am sure he would no longer be here. Every day with Sam is a new adventure. You never know what she will come up with next.

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
Tiels are amazing little creatures, loveable little comedians who can just light up your entire day with their antics and their sheer capacity to love.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
Sam is always on the go, always. She jets around the room & does circles around the other birds like a true show off. She is always into something just always on the go..hates most toys but loves to play play play, always with books, business cards, anything that doesnt resemble a toy.

9. What are some of your birds quirks?
She is a non cage pooper so she has a morning poop the size of lower Manhattan & then proceeds to poop over everything in the house including us..just not her cage. She also loveeeeeeeeees food & will leap tall buildings with a single bound to eat whatever we are eating.

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?
I'm a bad baby boy!!

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?
She loves broccoli but like I said before ..she lovessssssssss Kentucky Fried Chicken, which thankfully, we cannot afford very much.

***Forgot to mention one thing...Sam bites from the time she wakes up till the time she goes to bed...we dont care one bit..after all, she isn't a macaw. She thinks she is the Queen of the house and we kind of spoiled her rotten so she is the Queen. Unfortunately, she is also a chronic egg layer-has laid hundreds of eggs..no problems to date. We have tried everything short of a hysterectomy and nothing, but nothing works. The vet says the only thing that will work is to take her mate away and that would be Dub. Soooooo so far she is healthy like a little horse in spite of all that and we pray every day for the best.

Attachments

Last edited:

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Congrats Sam, royal recognition at last, the media will be all over this wanting more exclusives. :D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! I enjoyed reading the interview.

Matt

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Congrats Anne and Sam! I always love seeing her photos! And her messes :hehe:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Congratulations! Loved the interview!:heart: And the pics!:heart:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
All hail Samantha, Queen of all the Universe! Grovel before her mighty BITES!:eek: Fear her Lord High Executioner, Dub! Respect her Sorceress, Anne the Immaculate! All peasants may now leave her august and regal presence... GET OUT! It is time for the Queen to eat! :omg:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Congratulations to you both and Dub! Loved your interview and the snaps of one busy little lady! What a character she is, and long may she reign!:heart::dance4::heart:

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Wow! Great decision. Hale the Queen. Congrats

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Congratulations!!

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Congratulations Anne! that first photo is fantastic!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Samantha thanks all her royal subjects and would like to point out that the second picture is her at age 4 months...I love that pic, how wittle she really was...thanks everyone!!!!

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations! Thanks for the wonderful glimpse into Samantha's life. She sure is a sweetheart. :heart:

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
:yah: What a great choice and I loved the interview!

Congratulations, Your Majesty! And her loyal subjects, Anne and Dub, of course!
:heart::heart::heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
All hail Queen Samantha. Long may she reign.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.