• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the Month/February, 2010/Shade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:
I am so excited to announce this month's Celebirdy. Congratulations to Natacha's Shade!:heart:

1. How did you aquire your bird?

Shade was my graduation/birthday present from my parents. I had been doing some research trying to decide what parrot I would get next (I already had a Lovebird). Then I stumbled upon the Poicephalus family. They really appeared to be "perfect" bird for me; not too noisy, relatively independent, not too big..My mom knew this and when she saw baby Senegals for sale from a breeder she had already dealt with, she told me about them. There were two babies and Shade came to see me first and cuddled so she's the one I picked (or did she pick me? ). Her sibling lives with my parents.

2. What is your birds name, species, age and sex?

Her name is Shade, she's a Senegal parrot, she is 3, will be 4 at the end of March

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?

She laughs at appropriate times (I find this rather neat) and gives kisses on command.

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?

She will eat ANYTHING. Not picky at all. Her "favorite" might change from week to week but I think peas are always up there.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?

Laughed at my boyfriend when he he got into trouble...

6. How has your bird enriched your life?

Hmm..I really couldn't imagine my life without Shade. She brings me so much love each day.

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?

I heard a lot that Senegals tend to be one person bird - socialize them as early as you can and you might avoid that. I brought socialized Shade from the moment I got her, had people who came over handle her and brought her to parrot club meetings and she is a very well adjusted bird who will not attack anyone who isn't me.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
Shade is relatively active; she loves toys and plays a lot. However, she also likes "down time" spent cuddling on my shoulder. She is my quietest bird; she has her moments where she will be a bit louder but honestly, don't hear much out of her.

9. What are some of your birds quirks?

Her funniest quirk, other than laughing when appropriate, is dying her forehead green. She'll take a bath and then rub her head on a green toy; always green. I think she tried blue once and went back to green a few days later. Oh and she eats Nutriberries really slow, seemingly savoring each bite (my other birds go through them much faster).

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?

She talks but doesn't really say sentences. Most surprising word? "Viens-t-en" (French, oh yeah she's bilingual) which translated in context she uses as "Come here". And she uses it when she wants me to come to her.I have a video of her saying a few words, YouTube - Shade the Senegal "Talking bird"

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?

She's a pig. Anything can be considered a treat. She really loves Nutriberries, almonds and walnuts.

Attachments

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Congratulations!!!! Wonderful interview and great pictures!

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
:kiss2: Congrats! Shade is beautiful. What fabulous pictures! I'm glad to learn more about sennies.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Congratulations Natacha and Shade! Nice interview, Shade is just beautiful!:dance4:

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Congratulations!!! Shade is absolutely lovely :D

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Congrats! Loved the interview and learning more about you and Shade.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Thanks everyone!
I just noticed that I got an added bit to my signature :p

CKJ

Real Name
Cindy
:Congratwav: Natacha & Shade! After reading the interview (which was really good & informative) I can see why Shade got "Celebirdy of the Month"~ She's a beautiful bird!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Big congrats! Shade is so cute and sounds like a real joy to share your life with.

Attachments

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
congrats to both yourself and of course to the most beautiful Shade.

(Sennie is what I am looking at next these days.. most likely in the very distant future though )

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Congratulations Shade and Natacha!!!
:Congratwav:

Gorgeous pictures of Shade!!! :heart:

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
OMG I LOVE those pics of Shade! SOOO adorable! Those are really too cute! Was trying to stay away from these cuties then i saw this! :lol:
Congrats!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:cheer::cheer: What a lovely Girlie Sennie! Thanks for sharing!:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
congratulations....wonderful pics, fabulous interview and you already know how we feel about Shade:heart: and you dear!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.