• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy for the Month of September 2016/Grumbles!!!(Animallover03)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
We are very proud to announce this months Celebirdy award to Grumbles!!!

:starshower1::starshower1::starshower1:

1. How did you acquire your bird? I got Grumbles from a local family-owned pet place. When I was still researching parrots and volunteering at the Parrot rescue, my dad was on a dead set no to a bird. My mom was okay with it- as she had birds as a child. One day when I was at the pet place getting food for my cat, I saw this little Green cheek conure staring at me. I wanted to hold him but we had to go. The next time we came, just because I love going there, he was still there. So I asked to get him out, and immediately we clicked. Like an inseparable bond had formed. My mom saw this and sent a picture to my dad- who didn't respond at first but then called. We feared the worst but then he did something very unexpected... He said, well- we haven't gotten her a birthday present yet.. Well- how much does it and the cage cost? And does it bite? We honestly answered and then he said, well, I guess. I was crying I was so happy. And that is how I got Grumbles.

2. What is your bird's age, name, and sex? Grumbles, he was born May 16 so 3.5 months roughly. He is a DNA'd male.

3. Does your bird do any special tricks? Yes, he does a few.
Hang one: he hangs upside down from one foot on my finger.
image.jpeg
Gimme kiss: I ask him to give me a kiss or make a kissing noise and he makes the kissing noise back and gives you a kiss.
Stay/lay:
I put him on his back and tell him to lay or stay and he lays there.
image (1).jpeg
image (2).jpeg
Fly: still working on this one- but if I hold my hand out when he is on it and say fly he will fly to his cage or a nearby object. Also working on recall training.
Wave: I put finger about 3 inches away from him and say wave and he puts his foot up as if he were saying hello.
Shake hands: I put a finger near him and ask him to shake hands, and he gives me one foot to shake.

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods? Millet is his absolute favorite. He would eat only that if I let him.
He also really likes nutri berries. He loves fruit- especially strawberries.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done? There are a lot of things I could say for this- from sliding off of something and then looking like nothing happened- or freaking out after- to flying after people when they leave my room. I would probably have to choose what he does when I am reading. He will fly over from his cage, and first sit on my shoulder. Then he will get bored and try to eat the book. (It's made of floppy wood- he must eat it obviously!) It is hilarious when you hold the book up and he stretches up- then grumbles cause he can't reach it. He will also dance if you aren't paying attention to him, and when you look at him he stops, and he also will give you kisses to get your attention.

6. How has your bird enriched your life? In too many ways to list. :heart: I can't remember what my life was like without him hardly, but I know he has helped me so much. Mainly he has helped so much with anxiety, and he also seems to brighten any sad day. It is an absolute joy having him. I especially like it when he sits on my shoulder while I am playing my clarinet- and will sing along when I hit the really high notes haha. He has brought so much joy to my life- more than I ever thought possible.

7. What would you tell people considering this species? DO YOUR RESEARCH. Even with all of the research I did- I felt like I needed to learn so much more. I still learn more about him every day. Also- definitely meet them and see if you even like them. GCC are very headstrong and, well, grumbly. :lol: it takes a certain personality to understand this and their nippiness. They use their beak for everything.
Another thing is volunteer at a rescue. This was an amazing experience and I still volunteer. I love doing it- and your are helping them so much. Plus parrot rescues usually are low on volunteers.
One last thing- definitely get a big cage if you want a GCC. I have the A&E medium elegant flight cage and Grumbles uses every inch of it. It isn't fair to keep such an active bird in a tiny cage. You also have to find what their favorite type of toy is. Grumbles definitely prefers natural things- not colorful, but is starting to warm up to the colorful stuff and destroy it.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird? Grumbles is very active- he uses every inch of his cage. He is always being silly- and he can't seem to sit still for 5 seconds.
Grumbles is very quiet- he usually just makes his grumbling noises and a few other imitation noises such as clicks. He does occasionally make a louder chirp noise- outside at the birds (in his travel cage) and when he doesn't want me to leave for school. Otherwise he is incredibly quiet. He does talk to himself at night when I cover his cage, a combination of beak grinding and him talking nonsense.

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?
So much to choose from lol. He definitely likes to grumble- hence his name- and will tell you off if he doesn't like what your are doing. (Or if you say no)
He also loves baths- he prefers his water dish but occasionally takes a shower.
image (3).jpeg image (4).jpeg
He will do anything to get my attention when I am reading- doing anything from dancing to kissing me. it is funny to watch him.
At night when I cover him he will make all these interesting noises as he talks to himself and beak grinds.
When he gets really mad he will do a noise that sounds like a growl.
There are so many quirks- so hard to choose! But lastly I would probably have to say his personality. He has so much personality that sometimes it is a bit much- but I love him anyway.

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence that he has said? Grumbles doesn't say much yet- but probably the most surprising thing he says is pretty bird. I don't say pretty bird often- just occasionally say what a pretty bird he is- but he must of picked up on it.
Another surprising thing he said was what. I often will ask his "what" picked up on it and now asks me that when I talk to him. It isn't the clearest but it definitely sounds like that.

11. What is your bird's favorite treat? Definitely millet or nutriberries.

Bonus pictures:
image (5).jpeg
Eating his chop.

image (6).jpeg
He stayed up so late when my friend came over he fell sleep in my hand.

image (7).jpeg
Chillaxing

image (8).jpeg
Shirt bird

image (9).jpeg
You got a little something on your beak there...

image (10).jpeg
What? Me? No way. :D

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations Grumbles.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! I always love reading about and seeing pics of Grumbles. I think the entire forum celebrated when you got him- we were all so excited for you. :) It's very clear how much the two of you love each other. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
An excellent choice!

Congrats all around...:congratualtions:

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Congrats!!:starshower1:

I loved reading more about him! Such a handsome boy, Grumbles is. :xflove:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Loved your answers! Congrats.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I loved reading about Grumbles :heart: I especially loved what you said about big cages. My biggest regret with my cockatiel was not was not getting a bigger cage sooner. I just love how you spoil Grumbles :loveshower:

:congrats5:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:bounce7::congrats5::bounce7:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
A happy story! I love happy stories! Congratulations… you deserve this award! :bounce7:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5: Grumbles is so cute and sounds so funny! I loved hearing more about him and I'm so glad you were able to get him! Your parents must be so pleased with how mature and responsible you are!

Status
Not open for further replies.