• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy for the Month of June 2017 - Calpurnia's Kevin!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This month's Celebirdy is Calpurnia's Kevin! :) Here's what she had to say:

Thanks so much for the award! Of course I just love getting a chance to talk about Kevin (since who doesn't love to gush about their birds?). :laugh:

To start (with question 2):
2. What is your bird's name, age and sex?
Kevin is an almost 3 year old male Ivory-billed Aracari.

Here's Kevin.

229033-d58ae6b9a3791eb02cf7b2dda87e8815.jpg

1. How did you acquire your bird?
We got him as a newly weaned baby from a small, specialized breeder in Massachusetts. Look at how cute he was.

229029-05ec22fd60c5bd7260b88dd794f41605.jpg

Such a tiny beak!
229030-7138bd55afeb2aeafb45c0cdffd7e02c.jpg

What a nubby tail!

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?
Yes!! :) Like most aracaris/toucans he's very proficient at "catch".

We've also managed to perfect "lying on his back" in my hand or lap. It's most adorable when he does it in the shower and lets the warm water pitter-patter gently on his tummy. Knocks him out faster than a tranquilizer dart. :lol:

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?
Fresh black and blueberries are pretty high up there. Along with kiwi and red grapes.

But Kevin's true love is none of these things. The one food that makes him go absolutely crazy is..... fresh greens!

He only gets a couple leaves sparingly (1-2 times per week), but if we forget for too long he gets cranky and starts demanding his treat. He will continuously fly into the kitchen, onto the counters (where he's not allowed), and squawk loudly until we notice. Spoiled brat. :p

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
Omg where to start! Kevin is a total goofball. He has to be to make us smile and laugh every day while cleaning up all that fruit poop.

I love how he plays. Toys are of shaking, jabbing, wrestling, and jingling. He has a couple favorite toys that still haven't gone out of style.

And a year and a half later:

6. How has your bird enriched your life?
We have and have had a bunch of different parrots. They are all fun, social, and loving companions. But Kevin is super special.

Simon the parrotlet was our first baby. We got him not long after my SO and I got together, so he ended up playing a huge part in the growth of our relationship. It really felt like we were two parents raising their first child. And so when he passed we were devastated. While grieving, Kevin was our rock. He was an uncomplaining accepter of hugs and cuddles. Even when all I wanted to do was wrap him up like a burrito, kiss his beak, and cry on him he would sit there without complaint.

After this period I think I started appreciating Kevin a lot more. He just has such an awesome personality. He could never hold a grudge against anyone. He isn't ever moody or temperamental. He's adaptable and yet always a constant comfort. I definitely can't say the say about any of our rather opinionated parrots haha.

But I think the best part is Kevin and my SO share a very special bond. Probably in part because my SO is more noise-sensitive and so the parrots can start wearing on his nerves with their constant shrieking and chatter. :hehe: But it's mostly something I've never been able to figure out. My SO was never a bird owner until he met me. And honestly it's still debatable about whether or not he is even a true "bird person" today. But Kevin will always have an extra special place in his heart. It certainly makes a girl feel good watching two of her favorite boys learn to love each other so much. :heart:

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
Aracaris can be wonderful pets. BUT you've gotta know what you're getting into! I'm a pretty clean (some might say anal-retentive :rolleyes:) person. I don't mind a little clutter but dirt, grime, and other gross stuff lying around bothers me. So the fact that Kevin poops fruit-smoothie and has NO qualms about doing it everywhere can be stressful. Luckily we were finally able to move to a house with no carpet and we now have minimal cloth furniture. Unfortunately I'm still stuck scrubbing his cage for a half hour every weekend.

Diet is another big issue. Like many softbills aracaris are predisposed to hemochromatosis or iron-storage disease. If fed foods high in iron for too long it builds up in their livers and eventually kills them. So low-iron softbill pellets, fruit, and veggies are a must. But if you aren't accustomed to always having on hand fresh, expensive and exotic fruits their diet can be a bit of a pain.

His diet and mess also can make it much more difficult to travel or find bird sitters. I'm still not comfortable leaving Kevin for more than a week at a time simply because his cage gets too filthy and I don't want to try and force a bird sitter to clean it. It's already difficult enough finding people that are willing to come and chop fruit at 7:30 every morning, making sure everything is prepped just right (one of Kevin's downsides is the fact that he can be pretty picky about how his food is prepared and presented). It can be even harder finding someone who is willing to come back to the house a couple more times each day to make sure Kevin still has enough food as well as remove it at night.

Finally, making sure you have enough space is important. That and ensuring you can afford a large enough cage. I honestly feel like these guys deserve an aviary at the very least, same as any of the large parrots. They are just too active, and need plenty of room to hop about since they lack the ability to climb cage bars.

On that note, you should also never clip an aracari (again because they can't climb or get around easily without their wings) so expect them to get into everything! Kevin is the worst about eating small, inedible objects. Hair ties, rubber bands, and foam earplugs are his scare-tactics of choice. :arghh:

Overall though, I think aracaris can be underrated as pets. Even more so when I tell people how Kevin really isn't like a parrot at all. He isn't super clingy or trick-trainable. To many his face isn't super expressive, or just seems "blank". Some people might see these as downsides but I really appreciate Kevin's unique and wild nature.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
Aracaris in general can be pretty active little birds. Some people refer to them as "energizer bunnies". Lucky for us, Kevin is VERY laid back, almost comically so. He's very much a "people watcher", and prefers to hang out on the periphery keeping an eye on his family and flock, vs being up in everyone's business. Only a few times a day does he get's the itch to explore and will come investigate the floor around our desks or more likely, try to find inappropriate things to eat on our bedroom dressers. :shifty: Most of the time he just chills (or eats himself into a food coma):

Which is pretty nice when you have 3 other attention-whoring parrots clambering over you and begging for scritches at any one time. Not to mention flying all over the house to see just what sort of mischief they can get into next. :faint:

Noise-wise he's definitely the quietest of all our birds. No high pitched shrieks, screams, or whistles here. He makes lots of low arfs, purrs, caws, and growls for the most part. Truly LOUD calls are rare and only when he sees a hawk circling outside the window.

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?

All aracaris have one very special quirk. They "sunbathe", whether that be in the actual sun:

229031-cb215a8a28052377c16886b585c0e671.jpg

or near hot air sources. I love when you try and snuggle him with your nose as he literally melts in your hands. :heart:

Another aracari quirk is their love of baths. Kevin bathes daily, and it's always a huge affair. He literally jumps in his bowl, sits down up to his neck in the water, then splashes around as hard as he can. He always comes out soaked to the skin.

Kevin turns into a little glob of putty for scritches. Even just the IDEA of scritches is enough to have him squealing with joy. :laugh:

Finally, my absolute favorite and most endearing quality of Kevin's: his unexpected and inexplicable friendship with both of our parrotlets, Simon and Julian.

Aracaris are not known to cohabitate well with other species, especially ones that are smaller than themselves. One big warning you will see plastered all over is "NEVER let them near small birds or other small animals". They have a peculiar predatory drive, one that encourages them to seek out, catch, and kill small fluttering or scurrying creatures. Kevin is certainly no exception. He gets sadistic pleasure he gets from chasing moths, only to catch them then release them, then catch them again.... over and over and over until the bug is left mauled and twitching (only THEN will he try to eat it). In another instance he went into full shrieking divebomb mode after a mouse managed to get inside our house and scurried across the bird room floor. Nearly gave himself a concussion slamming into the wall trying to chase after the thing. :dead: It makes sense given in the wild toucans are known to be voracious nest predators, and will also catch and consume small rodents or reptiles if given the chance. And I've certainly read plenty of horror stories of peoples captive aracaris/toucans going after their finches or whatnot.

So you would think that having Kevin plus a houseful of small birds (budgies, parrotlets, now a linnie) would be a recipe for disaster. But the truth is just the opposite. Maybe it's because Kevin is just so laid back. But more likely it's because he grew up with Simon as a "big brother". And once he'd gotten the idea that parrotlets are BFFs he was happy to welcome Julian under his wing when we brought him home.

Julian preening himself on Kevin's beak:

Foraging for his breakfast:

Much derp:

That moment when you wake up and realize you forgot to lock the bird cages properly last night:

Simon, Kevin, and the SO. All looking properly majestic.

Last edited by a moderator:

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Congrats, Kevin is one cool dude :)

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
A lovely post. You are lucky to have Kevin and he is lucky to have you :)
I know what it's like to love a bird like a child. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Congrats

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:congrats5:
I enjoyed reading about Kevin!

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:congrats5: Yay for Kevin!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Kevin is such a special bird :heart:

I don't know much about aracaris or toucans. So I always enjoy learning more in your Kevin posts. :) I have a couple of quick questions. Is it possible to harness train a aracaris? Are you able to take him outside?

From what I've read aracaris and toucans, mood wise they are much stable than most parrots. But in terms of housing, handling and diet they are more difficult or complicate. With handling I've read that they are more delicate. For example I sometimes put my thumb over the toes of my cockatoos when I'm carrying them in my hand. My understanding is you can't do that with aracaris or toucans because you could accidentally break a toe. Is that true?
Which brings me back to my first question. Are they simply too delicate for harnesses?

Thanks for that wonderful insightful interview and sharing your knowledge. And of course for sharing Kevin with us :heart:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Kevin is adorable!!

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Thanks everyone! But OH NO NONE OF THE VIDEOS WORKED! :crycry: I spent so long uploading more videos to YT on my super slow internet! I don't want all that hard work to go to waste. Especially since I know @Eloy enjoys them so much. :)

Anyway, I hope the mods don't mind me pasting them back into place..... (minus some big globs of text)

To start (with question 2):
2. What is your bird's name, age and sex?
Kevin is an almost 3 year old male Ivory-billed Aracari.

Here's Kevin.
IMG_2609.JPG

1. How did you acquire your bird?
We got him as a newly weaned baby from a small, specialized breeder in Massachusetts. Look at how cute he was.
Album1-1.JPG

Such a tiny beak!
Album1-3.JPG

What a nubby tail!

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?
Yes!! :) Like most aracaris/toucans he's very proficient at "catch".

We've also managed to perfect "lying on his back" in my hand or lap. It's most adorable when he does it in the shower and lets the warm water pitter-patter gently on his tummy. Knocks him out faster than a tranquilizer dart. :lol:

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?

But Kevin's true love is none of these things. The one food that makes him go absolutely crazy is..... fresh greens!

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
Omg where to start! Kevin is a total goofball. He has to be to make us smile and laugh every day while cleaning up all that fruit poop.

I love how he plays. Toys are of shaking, jabbing, wrestling, and jingling. He has a couple favorite toys that still haven't gone out of style.

And a year and a half later:

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
Aracaris in general can be pretty active little birds. Some people refer to them as "energizer bunnies". Lucky for us, Kevin is VERY laid back, almost comically so. He's very much a "people watcher", and prefers to hang out on the periphery keeping an eye on his family and flock, vs being up in everyone's business. Only a few times a day does he get's the itch to explore and will come investigate the floor around our desks or more likely, try to find inappropriate things to eat on our bedroom dressers. :shifty: Most of the time he just chills (or eats himself into a food coma):

Which is pretty nice when you have 3 other attention-whoring parrots clambering over you and begging for scritches at any one time. Not to mention flying all over the house to see just what sort of mischief they can get into next. :faint:

Noise-wise he's definitely the quietest of all our birds. No high pitched shrieks, screams, or whistles here. He makes lots of low arfs, purrs, caws, and growls for the most part. Truly LOUD calls are rare and only when he sees a hawk circling outside the window.

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?

All aracaris have one very special quirk. They "sunbathe", whether that be in the actual sun:
IMG_1992.JPG

or near hot air sources. I love when you try and snuggle him with your nose as he literally melts in your hands. :heart:

Another aracari quirk is their love of bathes. Kevin bathes daily, and it's always a huge affair. He literally jumps in his bowl, sits down up to his neck in the water, then splashes around as hard as he can. He always comes out soaked to the skin.

Kevin turns into a little glob of putty for scritches. Even just the IDEA of scritches is enough to have him squealing with joy. :laugh:

Finally, my absolute favorite and most endearing quality of Kevin's: his unexpected and inexplicable friendship with both of our parrotlets, Simon and Julian.

Aracaris are not known to cohabitate well with other species, especially ones that are smaller than themselves. One big warning you will see plastered all over is "NEVER let them near small birds or other small animals". They have a peculiar predatory drive, one that encourages them to seek out, catch, and kill small fluttering or scurrying creatures. Kevin is certainly no exception. He gets sadistic pleasure he gets from chasing moths, only to catch them then release them, then catch them again.... over and over and over until the bug is left mauled and twitching (only THEN will he try to eat it). In another instance he went into full shrieking divebomb mode after a mouse managed to get inside our house and scurried across the bird room floor. Nearly gave himself a concussion slamming into the wall trying to chase after the thing. :dead: It makes sense given in the wild toucans are known to be voracious nest predators, and will also catch and consume small rodents or reptiles if given the chance. And I've certainly read plenty of horror stories of peoples captive aracaris/toucans going after their finches or whatnot.

So you would think that having Kevin plus a housefly of small birds (budgies, parrotlets, now a linnie) would be a recipe for disaster. But the truth is just the opposite. Maybe it's because Kevin is just so laid back. But more likely it's because he grew up with Simon as a "big brother". And once he'd gotten the idea that parrotlets are BFFs he was happy to welcome Julian under his wing when we brought him home.

Julian preening himself on Kevin's beak:
BONUS!! Extra pics and videos! :fairy2:

Playing in his snuggle hut:

Enjoying scritches and a warm blanket after a bath:
Post-bath Blissed Out Aracari - YouTube

Foraging for his breakfast:
Kevin the Ivory-billed Aracari forages from fruit skewer. - YouTube

Much derp:

That moment when you wake up and realize you forgot to lock the bird cages properly last night:

Simon, Kevin, and the SO. All looking properly majestic.

Attachments

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Yay! Thanks again everyone for letting me pester you with my love for Kevin. :heart:

I don't know much about aracaris or toucans. So I always enjoy learning more in your Kevin posts. :) I have a couple of quick questions. Is it possible to harness train a aracaris? Are you able to take him outside?

From what I've read aracaris and toucans, mood wise they are much stable than most parrots. But in terms of housing, handling and diet they are more difficult or complicate. With handling I've read that they are more delicate. For example I sometimes put my thumb over the toes of my cockatoos when I'm carrying them in my hand. My understanding is you can't do that with aracaris or toucans because you could accidentally break a toe. Is that true?
Which brings me back to my first question. Are they simply too delicate for harnesses?
Yes you can definitely harness train them! I knew of a couple harnessed trained "education aracaris" when I volunteered with a zoo. I even got an aviator harness for Kevin BUT we had a traumatizing experience with it pretty early on. :( It's not that he won't wear it, it's just that he REALLY doesn't like the leash that trails behind him when he tries to hop around. I think he sees it as something chasing him. But because he can be pretty active it's impossible to get him to just sit there quietly with it on. Then the last time he wore it he decided he wanted to take off across the floor and accidentally got the leash all tangled up in the legs of a chair. When he couldn't get loose he started panicking and now he refuses to even put the harness on anymore.... On one hand I want to spend time reacclimating him to the harness so we can go outside. On the other hand I don't think I would ever actually take him anywhere with people because he poops so darn much and so frequently lol.

Mood wise he is definitely more stable than a parrot. I mentioned it a little before but he doesn't throw temper tantrums if he doesn't get what he wants. He never bites or nips trying to bully us around. He doesn't have "off" days where he just needs to be left alone in his cage to simmer and stew. He's already sexually mature but we really haven't noticed any changes in personality from hormones. He is always goofy, always in a good mood, and always ready for playtime or cuddles. He's the bird we go to when the parrots are being overly needy or jerks. :p

I really don't think they are very delicate at all! But maybe because all of our other birds are smaller than him? I worry constantly about our tiny parrotlet getting into trouble and hurting himself. But never Kevin. Kevin's nice though because we can handle him more freely than our parrots. For example, I would never try to hold onto the top of his foot to stabilize him on our hand because he lets us wrap our whole hand around his body instead. I think the only thing that jumps out at me as being more delicate than a parrot is his nails. They are really soft and I've accidentally quicked him a couple times because it's really easy to cut way too much off. Nowadays I just use an emory board to file them down and it takes just a couple seconds.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for writing this. I enjoyed learning more about Kevin.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:congratsbig: I enjoyed learning about Kevin!

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I spent so long uploading more videos to YT on my super slow internet! I don't want all that hard work to go to waste. Especially since I know @Eloy enjoys them so much. :)
Yes I do! I love Kevin! ♥♥♥
And I enjoy every video of him.
I always thought that he was so special, and when I hear him enjoying scritches I know that I was right about that. :)

♥♥♥ Congrats! ♥♥♥

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations to you and Kevin.