• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Celebirdy for the month of January 2016/JosienBB's TARGET!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
It is with great pleasure that I announce the
Celebirdy for the month of January 2016,
the beautiful, gorgeous, TARGET!

:thewave::thewave:
:starshower::starshower::starshower:

Here is what Angela had to say about her baby!
Target is very honoured to have been chosen! Thank you very much!

1. How did you acquire your bird?
I purchased Target from a lady with many birds who, due to declining health and other reasons, could no longer care for her. I had long been an admirer of hawkheads and did not think I could ever get one, due to their high price tag. Target was 14 years old at the time and was priced relatively lower than a baby bird. Little did I know, however, that I would spend far more on her in vet bills than I would have a baby. Contrary to the lady’s description of Target being in “perfect feather” and “good health,” Target was ratty, in poor feather condition, and had an existing eye injury among other gastro-intestinal problems. There was something about Target however, perhaps the sadness in her eyes and her abject fear of her surroundings, that spoke to me. I was going through a rough period in my life at the time and felt I could relate to her. Either way, I could not leave her the way she was, so I took her home.

2. What is your bird's name, age and sex?
Target is a female hawkhead, hatched in 1999, so she is approximately 16 years old. She came with the name “Target,” and considering that had been her name for so many years, I decided not to change it.

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?
Target doesn’t have many tricks, but she does whistle startling well! She also enjoys imitating people laughing, and arguing with people :)

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?
It really depends on her mood :lol: Sometimes, she loves sweet potato. Other times, she hates it. Same goes for red bell pepper, bird bread and quinoa pasta. One thing she will reliably eat is fruit – she loves persimmons, apple, pear, tangerine, mango, strawberry, and grapes.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
Target likes to “bathe” in this tiny 5oz bowl in her cage. She can barely fit her head in that bowl – she usually only gets her beak and forehead wet, but she refuses to use any other bowl. She makes a big show of it too – fluffing up all her feathers as though she’s really wet, but in actuality, not so much :p

6. How has your bird enriched your life?
As I mentioned before, I was in a very rough period in my life when I got Target. I’ve had severe depression and anxiety the past six years, and I truly believe I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for my birds. Helping Target, in turn, helped me. I’m also going through very bad seasonal anxiety right now, and having her on my shoulder really calms me down.

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
Hawkheads are really not for the faint of heart, and not a “beginner” bird at all (though I dislike that term). Target can be really sweet one second, and a holy terror the next. She’s very much a one-person bird – she loves my mother the best, and is always sweet with her. With me, however, it really depends on her mood, which changes with a flick of a switch. This is especially true come hormonal time – her behaviour is most unpredictable then. I think in that aspect, they are very similar to their cousins, the caique (Jekyll and Hyde behaviour). She absolutely hates my dad, and does not tolerate men in general. I had (and still have) a problem with her divebomb-style attacking my dad. These attacks are unprovoked – the mere sight of him can set her off. She also does not tolerate other birds at all, and will attack them if she could.
With that being said, Target is also a very sweet bird. Unlike my small conures, she is not at all cage-aggressive, and doesn’t constantly “nip” the way they do. She’s not cuddly, but she definitely enjoys human company, and loves to sit on people’s shoulders and perch on their heads. She also likes to whistle, dance, invade personal space, and hang upside down. Most important of all, she is very considerate and sensitive to human emotions. She always knows when I’m not feeling well, and will perch quietly on my shoulder – giving me her support in her own way. Then, as soon as I’m feeling better, she’ll bite me. :roflmao: She’s a walking (or rather, flying) contradiction! :D

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
Target isn’t usually very active – she can sit silently and unmoving for hours on end. But when she’s in the mood, watch out! She’ll zoom around the house like a fighter jet, dance, and scream like a banshee! Lately, she’s been quite loud – she has this shrill fire alarm call that is just ear-piercing! And she especially likes to scream in my ear lol. I think she likes the sound of her own voice!

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?
She goes nuts over fabric. If it’s fabric, she’ll chew it. Her favourite things to chew are towels. We’ve gone through a lot of towels in our house because of her. Of course, I always make sure those towels are 100% cotton, and discard them once they start to fray too much, so she doesn’t ingest/catch on any loose threads. I was napping on the couch once, and when I woke up, the back of my shirt had a huge hole in it from her chewing while I was sleeping!

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?
Target isn’t much of a talker – the only things she says consistently are “up up!” and “huh?”

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?
Almonds and safflower seeds! :D

Best wishes,
Angela

patient1.jpg crest1.jpg crest3.jpg eating-target1.jpg target-crest.jpg target-silly1.jpg target-silly3.jpg VIP-3.jpg

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Medwyer1

Moving in
Congratulations!! She is GORGEOUS and sounds like a stinker :p I am glad that she is able to help you through rough times and you helped her through hers :heart:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I enjoyed reading about Target.

Matt

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations to @JosienBB and Target!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Congrats

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Congrats! Target sounds like one special girl, and you're both lucky to have each other. :)

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks everyone! Target's been a very good girl the past few days, and very sweet! Let's hope it lasts! :roflmao:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Congrats to you both!:hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I enjoyed learning more about Target. Very pretty bird.

:congrats5:

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Congrats! Target is beautiful and very lucky to have an understanding owner !

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Congrats to you and Target!

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
:dance6:Congrats Target and JosienBB!

Ziggy Stardust

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jodie Reed
Congrats to you both. I love the pictures of Target with her crest up. It looks like a little bonnet. She looks so sweet.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Enjoyed the interview! Target is gorgeous!

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:starshower::starshower1:Yay! I love Target! :congrats5:

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy