• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Celebirdy for the month of February, 2014/Jennifer's ITSY!!

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
:thewave::thewave:
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
Join me in congratulating the Celebirdy for the month of February, 2014
the beautiful, funny, Itsy!
Here is what Jennifer had to say about her baby girl Itsy!!!

:party: :party: :party:

1. How did you acquire your bird?
I agreed to birdsit Itsy for 1 month for the rescuer that placed Darwin with me. She was so easy to care for, only taking a few extra minutes per day to change paper out of her cage and feed, etc. She was very easy going and was not stressed at all about staying with me. Her previous home had mostly large birds - several cockatoos and CAGs, 1 Senegal, 2 lovebirds. Itsy and the Senegal did not get along at all and she lost 2 toes after getting into a through-the-cage scuffle with him. I knew she would get a bit more attention with me so offered to keep her.

2. What is your bird's name, age and sex?
Itsy is a Meyer's Parrot, presumed female (not DNA'ed yet). Her hatch day is June 7, 2006 (7.5 years old). I've had her since December 2011.

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?
I ask Itsy if she's a good bird and she nods her head quickly.
With clicker training Itsy learned to target, turn around and climb or fly to where the target was.

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?
Itsy is not a picky eater at all! She eats almost all of her veggies! She likes Tropican & Harrisons pellets, almonds, grapes, peas, carrots (probably her favourite veggie), most veggies & fruit, Nutriberries, toast with red palm oil or almond butter and pretty much anything I put in her bowl.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
Well, recently I noticed she was making an angry sounding growl. It seemed out of character and she wasn't acting angry when she did it. I thought she learned it from Darwin as he does a groan. Then I realized she was copying an ogre-like character on a video game I play on my phone! It's pretty cute when she does it! :lol:

6. How has your bird enriched your life?
Well, she was a pretty sweet addition! I hadn't had her very long when the idea popped into my head that she might lie on her back. I carefully flipped her and she easily lay back on my hand. A few days later I was sitting with her and said something like "let's see if we can flip you over" and before I could do anything she rolled over on her back onto my hand! She loves attention and I always kiss her belly when she lays back. She often starts to recline before I make a move to do it. She is very soft and very cute!
When I first got her I had had Quack for 9 months and Darwin for 2 months. Quack had been biting me pretty hard and other than scritches & kisses is mostly hands off. Darwin was recovering from a broken wing and after hurting himself trying to fly, was sulking/recovering in his cage. It was nice to have a bird I could touch and hold in my hand. Darwin knew Itsy and I think seeing Itsy relax with me made him realize he could trust me, and shortly after decided to start coming out again. So she set a good example to get us back on track.
Here is a video of her being cute, laying on my hand & saying "step up" at 1:05:

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
Meyers are wonderful little birds! You do have to be careful what other birds you have as it seems to be a Meyer's trait to not get along with other birds. But in general, she is quite easy going, a good eater, easily occupied with toys, likes & needs attention but is not too clingy. I don't know if these are all Meyer's traits or just Itsy though.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
She is pretty active. She likes to play with toys. She's my best wood chipper! :D She also likes to fly. It seems that when I take the 2 greys downstairs first and spend a couple of minutes cleaning Quack's cage (which I can't do while she's there), Itsy often takes that opportunity to fly back and forth between her cage and Tiki's. She flies to me in the kitchen often too. She is mostly quiet but does do the ear-piercing "Meyer's screech" occasionally. She may do it when the others are calling from the bird room for attention or if Darwin flies or something else bothers her.

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?
She has to be in the mood to step up. If it doesn't seem like she is in the mood, I use a stick. She attacks the stick for a second or two, then is fine. If it were my finger, it would be a bleeding puncture wound. She is jealous, mostly of Darwin. I assume that is because he is on me the most. She will fly at him to drive him away. She is fairly cage territorial and I have to be careful when putting food in her cage.
At bedtime, she does the sound of a 3 ring cordless phone (like a long distance call).

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?
She came to me saying "step up" in the cutest little lispy voice. She seems to say it most when she doesn't actually want to step up but knows I want her to. During quarantine, she was in my ensuite bathroom, so every morning I got her out to shower with me. It was pretty early and she was tired but would say "step up" half asleep and eventually step up. Before I realized she liked being in the shower with me, she flew to the shower herself. One weekend morning, her cage was open and I was in the shower. She flew over and got onto the shower perch without me seeing or hearing her fly over. I turned to see her there, surprised, and she said "hello". That was the only time I've heard her say it.
She has also said "stop it" which she learned from Darwin, but I just heard her say it once as well.

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?
I think her favorite treat is dried fruit but she really likes almost everything!

Thank you so much for choosing Itsy as Celebirdy of the Month! We are so honoured! :D
Jennifer & Itsy

Itsy-Jul2012-26.jpg Itsy-Jul2013Corn4.JPG IMG_0292.jpg IMG_0431.JPG IMG_0671.jpg ItsyTowelJul2013-2.jpg ItsyOct2012-03CBT.jpg ItsyJan2012-05Head.jpg ItsyHeart.JPG
:swoon:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Congrats, Itsy and Jen! I love you, Itsy :heart:

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Congratulations! I enjoyed reading about adorable Itsy! :heart:

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
Congratulations!! :starshower1:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
:chickendance: :cheer: :cheer: :toss: CONGRATS!!!! Itsy is such a doll! I love reading about her and seeing her pics! :swoon:

TalkinTimneh

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kathie
CONGRATULATIONS!

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
LOVE THE INTERVIEW, LOVE THE VIDEO, LOVE ITSY, EXCELLENT CHOICE - ONE OF MY FAVORITE POIS ON AA :congrats5: YOU'VE DONE WELL BY ITSY, JENNIFER :congrats3:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! That was a great interview!

Matt

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
:congrats5:

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Itsy sounds like such a joy. She is lucky yo have you. Congrats. Well deserved

sydneynicky

Moving in
Congratulations to the both of you, Itsy does deserve it, she is a wonderful little birdie, a loving compagnion and I know you do love her also Jennifer, I couldn't have found a better home for her :))

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
She is so cute iI love the interview!

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Loved the interview and photos! :heart:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Thanks everyone and thank you to Andrea for letting me keep her (and the goofball)! :D

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
loved the interview! Itsy is adorable! :heart: