• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ceiling Guards

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Yesterday I was on Aleta and John's site looking for something/ideas and saw this T-Perch they came out with. So simple yet perfect for what I want for the outdoor aviary, another spot they can land on. I'll get another to put up here by the computer seeing I work from home, just need to put paper down and it would not really take up any floor space, other than the paper.

Aleta and John are a very nice older couple who make quality stands and am sure this is a quality product too and with being able to replace the perch itself, that works perfectly for me as I have a stash of wood for perches and I can use thicker/longer ones too. I'll have to double check the length that Kalea can climb and possibly have them make it a bit longer for her, My Little Monkey.

T-Swing : WINGDOW®, Elegant avian furniture

They also have it as a ceiling guard.

Stainless Extender/Ceiling Guard - $34.95 : WINGDOW®, Elegant avian furniture
They look great. Thought I'd mention that ceiling guards are easy to make from pvc plumbing pipes. My boings and nets all hang from homemade ceiling guards. I originally got the instructions from landofvos.com - but it seems that site is no more, so the link no longer works. Luckily I'd saved the web article, including the pics.

http://www.landofvos.com/diy/diy_projects.html

Do-It-Yourself Ceiling Protector
By Dale Parkinson

I have been making my own ceiling savers or "isolators", as I call them. I have seen them for sale for $15 but I make my own for around $3.

PARTS LIST
1 piece of 1.25" PVC pipe, 16" long
2 PVC 1.25" pipe caps
2 Pieces of 1" dowel cut 2" long
2 Small Stainless Steel screw eyes 1" or longer

DIRECTIONS
1. Clean all PVC parts well. Use sandpaper to remove writing or just turn it towards the wall when in use.

2. Drill small pilot hole in the centre of the end of each dowel.

3. Drill hole larger than diameter of the screw eye in the in the centre of each cap. *Pass screw eye through hole in cap and screw into dowel so screw eye turns freely in cap.

4. Repeat with other cap.

5. Press cap/dowel assembly onto pipe and tap on the cap to secure.

6. When hanging heavy objects, a small amount of PVC glue may be used on the last 1/2" of the PVC pipe. *Use glue outside or in an area away from birds. (I didn't use the glue, but if you have heavy birds you may need it.)

7. Allow 24 hours for drying outside.

The isolator turns nicely when my bird flaps on his Boing, but it also is stable when the bird steps onto the Boing.

Enjoy, Dale Parkinson

image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I love how this works for some birds. :laugh: My guys have no issue climbing the PVC. :p For my simple chewers I use an upside down frisbee against the ceiling. My large chewers I attach a piece of plexi glass against the ceiling. :D

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
HaHa, really they can climb it? Even if you were to extend the length? Luckily my smaller birds can't.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Really they can, no matter how long. :laugh: I don't understand how the little birds can't. :hilarious:

Maybe its the diameter. Maybe if I used this :laugh:

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Really they can, no matter how long. :laugh: I don't understand how the little birds can't. :hilarious:

Maybe mine are just vertically challenged, or lazy :laugh: (a sun conure, a jenday and 2 lorikeets - none of them can climb them)

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yah for some Macaws with larger feet need up to a 3" diameter to not be able to climb up it. If a bird can grip the item with their feet and their beak, they can climb it. Actually, my Kuka has one of my 2" diameter clear Acrylic ceiling protector and she never attempts to climb up it and it is only 12" long and she can no way stretch up beyond it to touch the ceiling.