• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cats?

Mr.Poisson

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Hello, I've just been wondering if any of you have successfully owned parrots and cats safely and what is it like? I'm very curious to know as cats are on my "must have" list of animal companions. Just not sure if it is safe enough with a Hahn's macaw.

Anna205

Strolling the yard
Along with the thread, if it helps, I have two cats, a 1 year old and 3 year old. Like you, I need to have cats, since I absolutely love them. But I also love birds. Just keep the cat out of the room my bird is in. A great thing to do is get a lock for the room your bird is in, it will help a lot I'm case you go out and if the door accidently opens. I will occasionally let my cat into my bedroom (where my cockatiel is) but only when my bird is in his cage, and I keep a very close eye on my cat since she has shown a lot of *interest* in him. If you decide to adopt a young cat, it would be a good idea to train him not to bother the bird and respect him, but I wouldn't let them out together ever, just for when the cat is around the birds cage it will settle your mind to know the kitten won't jump at the cage. Just remember though, birds are prey to cats, and no matter how trained or mellow the cat is, never have then out together.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Two cats with birds over the last 6 years. Separate at all times.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Have two cats. Outside only. Will not let them inside even with bird in cage because even a small claw scratch thru the cage bars can be deadly.