• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Carly laid an egg...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terri

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Terri
Ok...for those of you that don't know me...I adopted my foster SC2 back in December 09. She is a doll and we love her. Since we got her she had been doing the clucking like a chicken thing whenever we pet her or even go near her cage. This has gone on for months and we do not encourage this or pet her in the areas that may stimulate this kind of behavior...anyhow...

I went to clean her cage the other day and I saw this white plastic (or so I thought) egg. I was thinking it was a part that had fallen off of a toy or something so I grabbed it...AND IT CRACKED IN MY HAND!!! IT WAS REAL!!!

So....since this is my 1st experience with this...just looking for info, advice, etc to make sure there isn't something else I should be doing/not doing to keep her healthy and happy. AND...is this the only egg I should expect or will there most likely be more?

Thanks in advance...
Terri :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If its her first time laying an egg. Sometimes they only lay one egg. But most of the time they will lay 2-3. That is what I would expect.

Beeba our M2 lays eggs 2xs a year. But when she starts to show ANY nesty behavior (trying to find dark cavities, moving balnkets around to form a nest, etc) we put a couple round, white, egg-sized rocks. And that prevents her from having eggs:highfive: And she'll nest on them for a month, and then she'll be over it:D

I recommend feeding a good amount of proteins and fats and making sure she is getting plenty of orange veggies and veggies high in nutrients. Sprouted seeds and beans are great too!

Cutting back in dry seed, corn, pasta (starches, this includes breads too), helps with preventing hormonal behavior from increasing.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Once they start a cycle always let them finish it and abandon the eggs on their own. Usually 30 days. If she is too rough with them and breaks them, get your self some fakes.

Fake Bird Eggs

Make sure she is eating well and stay on top of her nutrition to make sure she is getting all the vitamins and minerals, especially calcium, phosphorus and D3 which are the major building blocks for egg making. Full spectrum lighting or better yet real sunshine are also important factors.

The Hens Reproductive Activity / Egg Binding

The Incredible Female Bird Reproductive System

Female Bird Reproductive System

Terri

Real Name
Terri
Thanks guys. Last night after I wrote this thread I went downstairs and she had laid a 2nd egg while I was on the computer.

So far she is eating well and behavior seems normal. I'm not sure if she has laid before, but she is around 12 yrs old.

Thanks for the advice and I'll keep an eye on her :)

shf

Avenue Veteran
you have to be careful that the egg does not become stuck when laying if this happens you have to bring her to the vet right away because if the egg becomes stuck for more than a day and the bird does not receive assistance in passing the egg; the bird will die because they will be unable to pass excrement and the waste toxins build up in the bloodstream because of the birds egg stuck and inablitiy to pass excrement; will kill the bird this is a medical condition called egg binding.
egg binding occurs because of many factors, some include; lack of calcium, lack of full spectrum/uv light, poor nutrition, and other medical conditions.

Last edited:

shf

Avenue Veteran
you will know if the egg is stuck because the bird will sit crouched at the bottom of the cage and will look as if exerting or trying to exert; similar to la person straining at the stools on the toilet.

shf

Avenue Veteran
also it is best to find ways to discourage egg laying because of the problems associated with it. If they lay too many eggs then you need to buy plastic eggs and these will stop her from laying too many eggs and lower the risk/chance of egg binding also do not take away her eggs as she will lay more if her eggs disappear. try to get plastic eggs if you want to take away her eggs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.