• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Carlos is finally better

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
The past two weeks, I've been dealing with a sick chihuahua. He's been dealing with a bout of gastroenteritis. He started acting sick early one morning, but he's always acted a little odd at times so I waited until that evening to take him to the vet.

I took him to one of the emergency vets here in town and she examined him. That night there were no signs that he was seriously sick and she recommended some x-rays and blood samples. Since she did not think it was too serious, I waited and took him to my regular vet the following afternoon.

He took some x-rays and some poo samples and figured out what was causing his problems. Carlos got an antibiotic injection and some subcutaneous fluids that day and was feeling better the following morning. I gave him liquid antibiotics at home for the next 10 days and he showed steady improvement each day.

So now, he's back to normal- except for a little lump that we believe is a reaction to one of the shots he got. So I'm watching that over the next few days.

I also started giving him probiotics this morning to help him to recover from the antibiotics. He's eating pretty well and gets excited when he thinks he is going to get a treat now... so he's back to normal.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am so glad he is doing better thanks for the update

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
thanks :D I was really surprised at how well he took the liquid antibiotics. I thought I was going to have to struggle with him when it was medicine time, but he patiently swallowed the liquid as I squirted it into his mouth with the syringe. :D

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
well thank goodness poor little guy:hug8:

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Good to hear that he's feeling better :) Gastro isnt nice for anyone..

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
thanks ... no it's not pleasant at all... and he had to have 2 rectal examinations in two days :eek: You could see the inflammation in the x-rays. He hates to be examined and held during the examinations (or getting his nails trimmed, and many other things) so for a week or so afterward he will yelp and complain when I touch him or pick him up. He finally stopped doing that on friday, haha. He might have been in a little pain, but most of it was simply him over-reacting. I guess when you are small it pays to overreact :D

Patrick

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patrick
jamie, what vet do you use?
We recently took our dog to Petvax and I was very displeased with them and am looking for a new doggie vet.

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
I take them to Vet Pets, the same place I take my birds. I've never used PetVax, but I know several people who get their dogs vaccinated there- their prices are very low.

Patrick

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patrick
I've never had problems with PetVax but the last time we were there they were very unconcerned with what I thought was wrong with Sammy. I'll have to try VetsPets out! Thank you

I'm very glad to hear Carlos is doing better!

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
Thanks ... I've been going to VetPets for several years .... if you do decide to go in there, I can give you my name and if you tell them I referred you, we'll both get a little discount, haha!

There are 2 vets there & one tries to focus on exotics while the other tries to focus on dogs and cats. However, the exotics vet will treat dogs and cats also.

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
Danita- no not exactly. The vet said he probably ate something outside or walked through something and then licked his feet or any number of other things. At first I was afraid he might have caught something from one of the birds- because he is always rummaging around in he bird room, however, the vet said that if that was the case one of the birds would likely be sick as well. They are all fine ... I am guessing he found something outside. It has happened before. Once I found my other dog crunching up a dead mouse she had found under the deck, LOL. I made her drop it, of course, but dogs do things like that.

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
Give big hugs to carlos from Isis and I. So sorry the lil guy was sick but glad he is doing much better. Hug's Barb and Isis

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
Here's a video after he started feeling better (he's the smaller black dog)

This one was from a month ago, a couple of weeks before he got sick:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Danita- no not exactly. The vet said he probably ate something outside or walked through something and then licked his feet or any number of other things. At first I was afraid he might have caught something from one of the birds- because he is always rummaging around in he bird room, however, the vet said that if that was the case one of the birds would likely be sick as well. They are all fine ... I am guessing he found something outside. It has happened before. Once I found my other dog crunching up a dead mouse she had found under the deck, LOL. I made her drop it, of course, but dogs do things like that.
I hate it when you see them eating something outside and they get it into their belly before you find out EXACTLY what it was.

jamie

Real Name
Jamie

I hate it when you see them eating something outside and they get it into their belly before you find out EXACTLY what it was.
Oh I know, haha, Rosie does that so often. I try to keep a close eye on them when they are out because of that. I also avoid using anything toxic outside that they can get into or that anything else can get into. But they are still dogs... they are tiny, cute, cuddly chihuahuas but they are still dogs. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.