• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caring for a crippled bird (budgie) - Your Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I would like to hear about your experience with caring for a crippled parrot.
What was your biggest challenge?

I have an opportunity to bring home a totally crippled show budgie. He was neglected by his parents so the breeder has been handfeeding him. He should be weaned v. soon or I might take over the handfeeding if I decide to bring him home now. He is a great eater and is comfortable when being handled.

This budgie cannot use his legs at all. This is the worst case of splayed legs I have ever seen. Why this problem was not corrected early enough (by the breeder or an avian vet) I do not know. Maybe it could not be corrected; I did not ask.... yet.

While making a mental list, I came up with:
1. Wide and not too high cage
2. Bottom w/out a grate and lined with a towel
3. All dishes on the bottom of the cage
4. Toys on the bottom of the cage or low enough for him to reach
5. A type of flat perch/deck close to the bottom of the cage so he can 'perch' on it
6. Maybe even a riversible tent completely open and hanging low as well.

If he is in a separate cage, I wonder and worry that he will want to be with my other budgies and they are in a big HQ flight cage. Not only this would not be good for him d/t safety reasons but I also worry how my budgies would treat him since he is not perfect.

Then I am thinking that it would be good for him to be with other budgies (or at least one of them) so that he has a friend. Keeping him separately would be brutal.

TIA.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am almost certain his legs can be repaired, especially if he is not weaned. I have seen photos of how they brace the legs. It may have been at the old site.. Maybe someone else knows? You are an angel to care for this budgie, I wish you the best.:hug8:
This is the forum for birds with special needs...maybe there is something there?
http://forums.avianavenue.com/special-needs-crossing/

Last edited:

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thanks Carole for the link to the 'special needs' section. I forgot we have it here.

One of his sibling also has splayed legs but the breeder fixed it so that budgie should be OK soon and find a home easily.

The one I might bring home looks like having a big problem in his hip joints.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
This page says if over 4 weeks, it usually cannot be corrected.:(
PARROTS
Sending positive energy your way.:hug8:

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
One of our members has a severly splayed leg lovie. Hopefully she will see this and comment. Good luck!! :)

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
This page says if over 4 weeks, it usually cannot be corrected.:(
PARROTS
Sending positive energy your way.:hug8:
I read about splayed legs a while ago and remember that it needs to be corrected asap. That is why I am thinking that his condition can't be treated because it is too late.

I also think that because his legs were in such a bad shape, the breeder could not or maybe did not even try to fix it.

I am going to find out more today.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Your list sounds good. Maybe keeping him in a cage right next to the others would suffice as if he was with them?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
we had a little crippled finch...fletcher....my hubby fashioned flat perches for him....simply two pieceso f plywood....each 4 inches wide and the full length of the cage..running from front to back and secured...he loved those perches..he could fly but toward the end was totally unable to perch..those flat perches were a godsend....you can also buy something similar in the reptile department of pet depts.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Trust me, those legs can be worked on! Elvis is now almost a year and a half old, and my vet is recommending physical therapy for the first few months, and then putting him in braces to see if they can be corrected!

For taking care of Elvis, I have a lot of wide, flat perches. I took a ladder and put it horizontally in the cage, and he can shimmy around on that pretty quick :) I also got him one of those little "orbiter" things, and he likes to sit in the center of that and swing around like a wild man. Dishes that are lower, and more shallow (since he can't perch on the edge to get to the food/water).

It's been an incredible experience taking care of Mr. Elvis :)

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I raised two baby English budgies a couple years ago, the younger one had severe splayed legs (from the hip) that couldn't be corrected unfortunately. She could scurry around quite well! The lady who has her now says she does get around quite well all things considered! Her favourite perch is actually a ladder that she can brace herself on, instead of a platform. She also likes the side of her food bowl for perching. She lived with a little American budgie for a while and they got along quite well. The other budgie unfortunately passed away due to old age.

The main thing I would suggest is do not clip him! It's very important for them to be able to fly when they're walking/climbing ability is so impaired.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
We had a splay leg lovebird for many years. She climbed all over her cage and her legs were very splayed and could not be fixed because the breeder ignored her condition for too long. My roomie 'rescued' her by buying her and she did very well in the same cage as the other lovebirds. We did keep dishes on the floor of the cage just for her, but often as not she would eat out of the regular dishes as well. The other lovebirds were leery of her when first gotten but adjusted and did not bully her much at all. We had those metal hanging porches, the chrome ones with the really close wire platform. Sometimes she would perch with one foot holding the side of the cage and the other foot partly under her body. She was an amazing little spunky bird. One thing she absolutely had to have was her claws clipped every week so she didn't catch them around or in anything.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I think the cage sounds great so far. I just wanted to add my input about keeping him with other budgies. Personally, I think that keeping him separate is a better idea. He could easily be bullied or not be getting enough food because of his injury. He will obviously be less active due to his splayed legs, and I think that the high level of activity of a normal/non-handicapped budgie might distract or disturb him. I don't think it's a bad idea to keep his cage next to the other budgies' cage, but I don't think they should be in the same cage.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
If you can bring home a second budgie with him that also has issues, then that would be the best. I have Twinkie who cannot use her legs at all. She is in a cage with 3 others who are also "imperfect" for different reasons. They do GREAT together.

I'll grab pics of their setup in a little bit.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Ok back. Here is my "special budgie" cage.

Food is on the bottom for everyone. A waterbottle is also on the side near the bottom. When feeding them on the ground, the water bottle is SO important to keep water clean. If there's an open dish on the bottom it gets dirty way faster than any normal person can change it.

The bottom grate on this type of cage was not removable, so I took foam, wrapped it in fleece, then covered it in paper towels. This way I just change the paper towels and brush off/vacuum the fleece from any rogue seeds that get through.

I covered the shelf perches the same way because one of the others has only one leg, and the foot is deformed. Therefore he not only needed a shelf, but one that he didn't have to worry about grabbing wires to balance on. The foam is stiff enough for them to have no trouble walking and hoping on, yet soft enough to not cause pressure sores on his one foot or Twinkie's breast bone. It also cushions Twinkie when she flys around the cage and has to land. (Yes, the birdy worm CAN fly....I was shocked too!)

Even though she's stuck at the bottom, everyone still comes to visit her and play. (Please ignore the poop covered ladder....it's toy cleaning time tonight).

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Natalie and Megan, thank you for suggestions, esp. regarding the ladders. I forgot they make great perching spot for such a bird.

Megan, I also agree with you on leaving him flighted.

I am making a list of everything all of you recommend.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
One thing she absolutely had to have was her claws clipped every week so she didn't catch them around or in anything.
Very good point. Thanks for the reminder and also thank you for sharing your experience with a lovebird.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Personally, I think that keeping him separate is a better idea. He could easily be bullied or not be getting enough food because of his injury. He will obviously be less active...
I do agree, Coco. If I bring him home, he will definitely be in a separate cage at the beginning and then I will see what happens when he is in the flight cage with my budgies.
Thank you for your input.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Andrea, thank you VERY much for detailed photos of your special needs budgies' cage. This is exactly the same cage I will be using for him, so your photos are especially helpful. I saved them and will use them as reference.

You are right about using a water bottle or water tube (I have one of those as well). Having drinking water in a bowl on the bottom of the cage would be impossible to keep clean all the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.