• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cargo Nets

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Got a cargo net made out of a decent thickness jute. Wasn't on the wall one full day before they chewed it beyond repair. Has anyone tried to macrame a large net out of something more Ekkie-proof? Any suggestions on what type of cord/rope might work best?

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Can you try using leather. Expensive but it would last and be safer for nibbling. You can get vegetable stained leather so safer for birds.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow! I have one out of thick jute (I made it) and one out of heavy cotton rope (wonky one, my first diy). I must not have the chewers you have.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Sergei isn't into chewing, but Lucy can reduce a child 's ABC square wooden building block to shreds in a matter of minutes! She opens pecan shells like the rest of us open peanuts. I know she's not as strong as the larger birds, but when she's in a destructive mood, the baseboards are coming off! I'm going to the craft store and see what leather they have to work with. I'll post a pic if it comes out decent!

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Lucy sounds like she has a lot in common with Zyda. She may be a small bird, but providing enough wood for her to beaver her way through is a full time job on its own.

I'm very curious to see how the leather cargo net turns out and can't wait to see what you come up with! May have to try that idea myself.

Last edited:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Sure! It will probably look more like a Picasso than a Rembrandt but I'm giving it a shot!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder