• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Car travel with Bourke's?

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
I'm wondering how well Bourke's keet(s) handle car travel?

The Bourke's is a serious contender for when my husband and I decide to have pets again. We'd like to bring our pet bird(s) with us for occasional weekend visits to family members (who live 2.5 hours from us) and maybe on vacations that are within a single-day's drive. But I'm uncertain as to how a smaller species like the Bourke's might handle such adventures.

Thank you,
DS

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
Oh Bourkes! I think they might be perfect for you based on your questions in various forums. I don't have them myself but my sister does, and if I had the time/money/space I would add a couple to my household in a heartbeat. Although they are not as clownish and "parroty" as some other small birds like parrotlets and green cheek conures, they are sweet, non-aggressive, lovely birds with pretty vocalizations that are neither piercing nor constant.

Can't help with the travel question though, sorry.

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
Oh Bourkes! I think they might be perfect for you based on your questions in various forums. I don't have them myself but my sister does, and if I had the time/money/space I would add a couple to my household in a heartbeat. Although they are not as clownish and "parroty" as some other small birds like parrotlets and green cheek conures, they are sweet, non-aggressive, lovely birds with pretty vocalizations that are neither piercing nor constant.
I did live with two Bourke's for about 6-7 months' time. (They were my mom's birds, really.) And, yes, they were exceptional birds. The male, in particular, was highly intelligent, sweet and ever-so curious about us humans. (He wanted to flit to us frequently, yet he also kept a very loving watch over his cagemate, Rosie.)

Can't help with the travel question though, sorry.
S'okay. I'm sure that someone may have some news to share. (My biggest concern is that little birds like Bourke's, though, may not handle the adventure of a car ride as well as a more "robust" species; I'm open to being wrong. :D)

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
My three are on the road with my partner 8-10 hours a day, 5 times a week. We use a large pak-o- bird but there are many other options.

We acclimated them by making the pak a place of fun, favourite toys, snacks and lots of praise. We took very short trips and to be honest there was a bit of screaming. We generally talked softly and praised them. When we would stop, we would let them explore the truck and more praise.

They generally go in now without prompting, they know there is going to be treats and balsa, singing to the radio.

I think once again, the key word is fun and don't forget there in the car with you, let them know your there with them by talking, singing. If its a short rest stop, take them out and explore, hold or cuddle.

If possible and someone else is driving, sit next to the cage on the first couple of trips so they know there safe and your right next to them and they know the biggest flock member is right there next to them on their first scary trip.

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
My three are on the road with my partner 8-10 hours a day, 5 times a week. We use a large pak-o-bird but there are many other options.
Wow. Now that's traveling with Bourke's, all right. :D

We acclimated them by making the pak a place of fun, favourite toys, snacks and lots of praise. We took very short trips and to be honest there was a bit of screaming. We generally talked softly and praised them. When we would stop, we would let them explore the truck and more praise.
That would be my plan with any bird(s): acclimate him/her/them to short, positive-themed rides before taking longer trips.

...The key word is fun and don't forget there in the car with you, let them know your there with them by talking, singing. If its a short rest stop, take them out and explore, hold or cuddle.
No worries about that; I like to talk (and even sing) to pets in the car. And if/when I rest stop were to be involved, I definitely would check in on everyone up close, as well as talk to and pet them.

If possible and someone else is driving, sit next to the cage on the first couple of trips so they know there safe and your right next to them and they know the biggest flock member is right there next to them on their first scary trip.
That's a great suggestion that I will use, if we get a bird (or birds) to accompany us on certain trips. :)

Heather F

Wow. Now that's traveling with Bourke's, all right. :D
Just a quick correction - hers are green cheeks, not Bourkes. Still little birds though. I figured if she does so well with her little guys being on the road so very much I imagine that Bourkes could become accustomed to occasional travel as well.

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
Just a quick correction - hers are green cheeks, not Bourkes. Still little birds though. I figured if she does so well with her little guys being on the road so very much I imagine that Bourkes could become accustomed to occasional travel as well.
The OP is about car travel with Bourke's and, so far, I'm learning about car travel with GCC's; so you could understand my confusion. :wacky:

It's not that info. about car travel with GCC's isn't helpful--since I'm considering GCC ownership down the road--but I hope to hear from others who've successfully traveled with Bourke's. Granted, it may be that Bourke's, being a bit more fragile in nature, don't handle car rides as well as, say, conures and other more outgoing, rambunctious species.

Heather F

Yes, sorry about the confusion! There aren't a lot of people with Bourkes who are currently active here so I thought I'd tag the person I knew with the smallest birds who does do a lot of travel with them, with the disclaimer that it was indeed a different species.

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
My bad, I thought you were aware I was talking cheeks but I guess my suggestions could be applied to any parrot

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
My bad, I thought you were aware I was talking cheeks but I guess my suggestions could be applied to any parrot
S'okay; I'm clear on things now. :D

I'm going to guess that Bourke's may have a rougher time with travel, but I could be wrong. Maybe I should ask some Bourke's breeders who travel with their birds to fairs/shows. At least that's one option.

If others care to share about their other small birds traveling by car, though, I'm hear to "listen," erm, read.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I got into bourkes because their owner was traveling the USA and couldn't find a pet-sitter. It was a family of 3, the daughter being at least 5-7 years old, parents a bit older. (obviously) It was probably over a 30 minute drive from where we picked them up to my home.

Some years later, the bourke family moved with me to my new home. It was maybe a 15 or 20 minute drive. When I had moved again, there was one bourke left. The daughter.

With age came health issues, and at one point, I traveled about 45 minutes to see my a-vet who was practicing out of city temporarily. It was a horrible drive, IMO (driving up a mountain with several switch backs...), and I hated having to travel so far, but she made it there and back.

I no longer have bourkes, and I do miss hearing them. Mine weren't tame, but I was ok with that. From my limited experience though, I'd say they travel just fine. Granted, I didn't take any of them on any long drives, but I do believe that if the bird is accustomed to traveling, they'll be fine. Even if they aren't, measures can be taken to get them used to it.

I would imagine though that any bird that would be traveling would probably be clipped, and I'm against the idea of bourkes with clipped wings. I feel it's almost akin to clipping the wings of finches or canaries.

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hmm - I'm wary of traveling with our Bourke's. My anxiety, not the bird's.

Typically when we go away for a weekend we have a friend stop by and take care of him, or we just make it a day trip and come back in the late afternoon/early evening to let him out of the cage.

That said, our lil' guy is extremely adaptable, and handles change quite well. Two qualities that (if present in your potential future Bourke's) lend themselves well to travel situations. I would first (as I think was suggested above with the GCC's) make sure to acclimate the bird to a fun travel cage in your home - toys, treats, etc. - then start to bring it to the car - then eventually on very short drives - and so on.