• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cape Parrot Cage Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

makato

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Maria
I'm looking at a few different cages, and I've found a few nice large ones that I like quite well. However, most of them have 7/8 or 1 inch bar spacing. Is this too large, or should I stick to 3/4 inch bar spacing?

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
1" is fine, but no bigger.

What size cage are you getting?! Big, big, big! for capes :)

makato

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Maria
Well, my favorite so far is one with interior dimensions of 36 x 26 x 50, but I was concerned because it has 1" spacing. I'm glad that'd be fine. Another I've been looking at is 32 x 22 x 45 with 3/4" spacing, and the third I've been thinking about is 31 x 22 x 36 with 9/10" spacing, and that one has a big play top. I've been trying to decide if I want to sacrifice interior space for a play top or not.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I would say don't go any smaller than the 36x26. The bigger the better! Capes are quite large, and very active. My cape has a 48x36. I just brought her home (today!) but from watching her in there I'm glad I went big.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I personally like the play tops. I find mine really really handy, but I know others prefer to not have them since they have a lot of other places to put a fid. :)

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Capri is in a double macaw cage, that's 70x32 of space and she uses EVERY INCH!!!!

makato

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Maria
Thanks for the tips... I'll keep looking for wider. I just wasn't sure about the whole "play top or no play top" thing. My GCCs have a play top, and they love it, but they also have a cage that is very large for their little size (30x30x36) and so I don't think it's any sacrifice for them to have a cage that is somewhat shorter on the interior due to the space taken by the play top. But I don't know which my cape would appreciate more... a taller cage, or a play area on top.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The 48X36 that Kacy has, has a playtop. I have the same cage for Holly.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.