• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary poo problem

Nenna

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Glenna
Hi - I have a gorgeous rescued male ( we assume) singing canary who has seemed quite healthy up till today. He eats a lot of baby kale, eggs, apples, pellets & seed. But this morning there was an enormous poo hanging from his bum. I soaked it off in warm water. At first I was afraid he had prolapse but it was only poo. He is eating but hasn't sung all day now.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Do his droppings look normal now? It's pretty common for birds to have a big dropping first thing in the morning. The sticking to him isn't but could he have rubbed against it somehow?

Nenna

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Glenna
I don't think he rubbed against it because he was running along with it hanging & it was rock hard & took alot of soaking. He seems to poop multiple times during the night normally, unlike the large poo my grey does each morning. Hopefully it's nothing & will watch him closely.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Hopefully some canary people can better answer than me. I would keep an eye on him and hopefully he'll start singing again. :)

@Just-passn-thru ?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Something is up. I would think about medications. Does his poo look normal, other than being an occasional huge glob? Did he eat more of something ( or less) the day before this happened? Any other symptoms?

Do you regularly use a preventive cycle of treatment, or any of the Dr. Marshall products (developed for canaries)?