• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary Peeping

RatKave

Strolling the yard
Hi my female canary is peeping a lot. When she peeps her whole body moves. Is this okay/normal. I have 5 and they always peep, but I just noticed her moving when she peeps. She also doesn't stop peeping, even when eating. Is she just talking? The society finch talks back to her with his grunts. She stops peeping and moving when I come up and spook her.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

longyearwinds

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
essi
if its incessant, like a continuous ’peeppeeppeeppeep’ then she could be calling her mate to be fed. Or calling a male in general. The girls do that a lot when on nests or wanting to nest, and yes, they typically shake a bit from the force of their peeping. If its a lung ‘click’ it could be air sac mites. But if its definitely a peep or beep shes making, shes likely fine.

RatKave

Strolling the yard
if its incessant, like a continuous ’peeppeeppeeppeep’ then she could be calling her mate to be fed. Or calling a male in general. The girls do that a lot when on nests or wanting to nest, and yes, they typically shake a bit from the force of their peeping. If its a lung ‘click’ it could be air sac mites. But if its definitely a peep or beep shes making, shes likely fine.
Okay. She has a mate so that makes sense. There is no clicking so it's okay. The male is not feeding her or paying attention to the peeping. Is he just not interested in her?

longyearwinds

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
essi
Okay. She has a mate so that makes sense. There is no clicking so it's okay. The male is not feeding her or paying attention to the peeping. Is he just not interested in her?

He may not be interested in her ! Or else he's not in breeding mode. Typically a male will start singing and be chasing her if he's responding to the peeping or interested. Either way, it won't cause issues.

RatKave

Strolling the yard
Okay. He was definitely interested before, so maybe we are starting to leave breeding season. He sings but does not chase.