• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can You Identify This Feather?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ooh Barred Owl perhaps?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Looks a lot like the feathers I used to find when we lived in the country :)

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks a lot like the feathers I used to find when we lived in the country :)
That's so cool! I've always wanted to see a wild turkey.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@April do you have a bucket list yet?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@April do you have a bucket list yet?
Of species to see in the wild and get pics of? Oh goodness yes.
I've seen a Great Horned and Barred Owl in person but don't have pics because it was many years ago before I was into photography like this and before camera phones lol but
Osprey,Great Horned Owl,Turkey,Bald Eagle,Harris Hawk,Burrowing Owl,Peregrine Falcon,then for mammals Wolf,Bobcat,Cougar,Elk,White Tailed Deer and so many more I'm surely forgetting lol

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Owl feathers have a kind of fur on it, super soft and not like the feathers of our parrots. It it doesn’t have the fur it rules out the owls! They have it so they can fly soundlessly.

wooow april you saw a wolf, bobcat abd a cougar! How cool, that must have been awesome.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Owl feathers have a kind of fur on it, super soft and not like the feathers of our parrots. It it doesn’t have the fur it rules out the owls! They have it so they can fly soundlessly.

wooow april you saw a wolf, bobcat abd a cougar! How cool, that must have been awesome.
Oh no no sorry I ment those are the species I'd dream of seeing in the wild and getting pics. Although now that I think of it i did see a bobcat many years ago but the pic is absolutely awful because it's when camera phones were new and hardly could zoom or anything.
IMAG4509.jpg

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oww haha sorry, read it wrong. Still cool to have seen a bobcat though!! I would love to see wolves and bears, and many more. From the bird part I have been able to cross of a couple, wild macaws, amazons, conures, osprey, two species of eagle, puffins, toucans, quetzal and a couple exotic birds I have no clue about the English name.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oww haha sorry, read it wrong. Still cool to have seen a bobcat though!! I would love to see wolves and bears, and many more. From the bird part I have been able to cross of a couple, wild macaws, amazons, conures, osprey, two species of eagle, puffins, toucans, quetzal and a couple exotic birds I have no clue about the English name.
Ooh I forgot about Bears! I'd love to see especially a Grizzly Bear in the wild that would be so amazing.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
One early snowy morning in Wisconsin driving to my work I came upon a wolf in middle of road looking at the cow on other side of fence. I think he was debating breakfast. He looked right at me as if to say this road is mine! I reported the sighting to wildlife management. He or she was big and beautiful with a thick winter coat.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One early snowy morning in Wisconsin driving to my work I came upon a wolf in middle of road looking at the cow on other side of fence. I think he was debating breakfast. He looked right at me as if to say this road is mine! I reported the sighting to wildlife management. He or she was big and beautiful with a thick winter coat.
Ooh that's so amazing! That has to be one of the coolest moments of your life!

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I was just going to offer the feather finding OP to come to rural wi to see neat critters on her bucket list. I lived in a place where bear sightings were very common.

Apparently a bear was lookin in my basement window one night at me and my sleeping birds. Luckily the window was too small to fit her anyhow.

My dad sends me text photos of bears and coyotes, among other things, taken from his deck’s sliding door.

Last edited:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was just going to offer the feather finding poster to come to rural wi to see neat critters on her bucket list. I lived in a place where bear sightings were very common.

Apparently a bear was lookin in my basement window one night at me and my sleeping birds. Luckily the window was too small to fit her anyhow.

My dad sends me text photos of bears and coyotes, among other things, taken from his deck’s sliding door.
Woah! That crazy,yall have all the luck.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Well here is a local story. I toss roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds out under my living room windows for kitty to watch the doves eating them. In the month of February about 10 pm I looked out and saw what I first thought was a big cat in the bushes. When the critter raised head it was a fox. Hard for them to catch a meal in February. It was chowing down on the seeds. Later I read they like the seeds for high protein content. Poor guy was so thin.
My daughter in Colorado feeds them seeds in the winter. Sunflower.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well here is a local story. I toss roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds out under my living room windows for kitty to watch the doves eating them. In the month of February about 10 pm I looked out and saw what I first thought was a big cat in the bushes. When the critter raised head it was a fox. Hard for them to catch a meal in February. It was chowing down on the seeds. Later I read they like the seeds for high protein content. Poor guy was so thin.
My daughter in Colorado feeds them seeds in the winter. Sunflower.
Gosh I'm forgetting so many species I'd absolutely love to see a Fox and get a pic they are such a stunning species.