• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can you guys give me some examples of hormonal behaviour?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I know the obvious stuff like nestyness & egg laying, masterbation, (possible) plucking, biting and mood swings.

But what are some examples of hormonal behaviour that are not so obvious?

I ask because just this week Blu, my quaker, has starting this new behaviour of wanting to constantly be on me.

He flies over to me all day long and all he wants to do is be on me...and bite my clothes, and sometimes tries to masterbate on me too.

But mostly he just wants to be on me and bite at my clothes, and then he gets mad when I try to stop him so he bites me.

He preens my face too though so there are fleeting moments of sweetness too.

Even at night, he used to be so easy to put to bed cause I would give him a treat and dim the lights and he'd go to bed himself but now...he flies to me in the dark. It's like he wants to sleep on me ir something. It's an obsession and I'm just really hoping it will die down soon.

That's why I'm wondering if this may be a hormonal spurt, or if it's just his new obsession?

And I'm also curious to learn all I can about hormones just cause it's good to know this stuff.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What you have my dear is a Quaker. He might be somewhat hormonal because it is the season but what's really going on is this.

You have bent over backwards to gain Blu's trust, respect and LOVE. You did a great job because now you have a spoiled little brat who took advantage of all that and doesn't really have any boundaries.

Another factor is that Blu is a solitary bird. That makes you the "Flock". A job that not one of us humans can do because flocks are constantly together and never separate. If there are any hormones in the situation it will just amplify all the problems.

Hormones do pass. The first few are always the worst and the longest. And he's a Quaker. :)

Last edited:

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Some examples of hormonal beheaviour?

you come home form work, only five minutes late and your partner says " Your dinner is in the DOG" !!

Oh wait, you meant PARROT hormonal beheaviour........

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A bird room that can be closed is sounding better and better doesn't it? :D

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
What you have my dear is a Quaker. He might be somewhat hormonal because it is the season but what's really going on is this.

You have bent over backwards to gain Blu's trust, respect and LOVE. You did a great job because now you have a spoiled little brat who took advantage of all that and doesn't really have any boundaries.

Another factor is that Blu is a solitary bird. That makes you the "Flock". A job that not one of us humans can do because flocks are constantly together and never separate. If there are any hormones in the situation it will just amplify all the problems.

Hormones do pass. The first few are always the worst and the longest. And he's a Quaker. :)
Thank you, John! I was afraid that would be the answer. How do you teach a bird boundaries? I was hoping if I keep redirecting him with the pillow, that eventually he'd give up. Do you guys think he'll give up at some point?

Shawna mentioned targeting and teaching stay in my other thread, and I know that's probably the best course of action, but I was honestly hoping for an easier fix :shy: Though if that's the only thing I can do then I guess I'll have to.

Some examples of hormonal beheaviour?

you come home form work, only five minutes late and your partner says " Your dinner is in the DOG" !!

Oh wait, you meant PARROT hormonal beheaviour........
:lol:

A bird room that can be closed is sounding better and better doesn't it? :D
Thankfully he is in his own room with the door closed :)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Get another bird. Twice the fun. :)
Can confirm; twice the entertainment. Also having to watch them twice as much. Sherbie is fearless and oblivious... a bad combination. She doesn't seem to react to Rupert telling her to kindly "back off". :bignono:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Can confirm; twice the entertainment. Also having to watch them twice as much. Sherbie is fearless and oblivious... a bad combination. She doesn't seem to react to Rupert telling her to kindly "back off". :bignono:

Guys, I want a second bird, more than words can even convey! I just have a couple of issues that make it harder for me than the average person.

The first issue is that I am a broke dog walker so I don't have much money to invest in proper separation spaces (plus cage, vet care, toys etc) right now because I am a dummy who doesn't cage my bird (except for bedtime) I fear that they'd get into a fight and then I'd have serious medical bills.. or even worse.

Then the other thing is that I think Blu thinks he's a human. Even though he may enjoy the chirps of another bird, I think he'd be majorly jealous if I interacted with another one.

If I can afford to build a separation wall one of these days I would definitely bring in another feathered friend. I just can't afford it right now :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If it was me I would just wear a helmet (or some other scary thing) for while until he figured that part out. I can't remember not having at least one bird on me constantly ever. I don't even pay attention to that. If they can hang on and ride while I'm doing my thing that's fine. If they can't hang on, they can't hang on.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
So John gave me this same advice a year ago when I was at my wits end because Cricket could not be alone and I could not function with him always clinging to me. Or crying and begging to cling to me.

I just posted re: Watson's gotcha-day today. What a difference another bird made! There is now balance. Cricket still wants to spend time with me (Watson is more aloof but likes attention) but he is bonded to and has a bird-life with Watson who can satisfy him better than I ever could. They are both male. Chose to move in together after a couple of months in side by side cages, and things are grand.

Of course I know I am lucky and things don't always work that way. I also chose Watson for his personality. Cricket is a showboat so I didn't want competition. Watson had already lived with a bird but not bonded and was/is more quiet...an introvert (if birds can be that). Luckily they balance each other.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
If it was me I would just wear a helmet (or some other scary thing) for while until he figured that part out. I can't remember not having at least one bird on me constantly ever. I don't even pay attention to that. If they can hang on and ride while I'm doing my thing that's fine. If they can't hang on, they can't hang on.
Thank you again, John! I will keep an eye oit for some kind of hat or something in the next few days. I appreciate the advice very much!

So John gave me this same advice a year ago when I was at my wits end because Cricket could not be alone and I could not function with him always clinging to me. Or crying and begging to cling to me.

I just posted re: Watson's gotcha-day today. What a difference another bird made! There is now balance. Cricket still wants to spend time with me (Watson is more aloof but likes attention) but he is bonded to and has a bird-life with Watson who can satisfy him better than I ever could. They are both male. Chose to move in together after a couple of months in side by side cages, and things are grand.

Of course I know I am lucky and things don't always work that way. I also chose Watson for his personality. Cricket is a showboat so I didn't want competition. Watson had already lived with a bird but not bonded and was/is more quiet...an introvert (if birds can be that). Luckily they balance each other.
Thank you very much too, Lori! I'm so glad it worked out so well for all of you!

I am really taking the 2nd bird thing to heart. I just know I can't do it immediately. I really want to but that will have to be in the future for me. Thanks again everyone!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I am really taking the 2nd bird thing to heart. I just know I can't do it immediately. I really want to but that will have to be in the future for me. Thanks again everyone!!
It really doesn't cost anymore to feed and house 2 birds than it does one. A barrier can be made as easy and cheaply with bed sheets and staples. If you look at the portions of food you feed your bird and how much of it they actually eat. The leftovers are almost enough to feed another bird. Make the same. Less waste.

You're letting your fear/phobia/anxiety (because I don't know what to call it or want to label it :) ) dictate your actions again. You have to live with a little more confidence in yourself. Ya gotta have attitude babe!! :devil:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I know the obvious stuff like nestyness & egg laying, masterbation, (possible) plucking, biting and mood swings.

But what are some examples of hormonal behaviour that are not so obvious?

I ask because just this week Blu, my quaker, has starting this new behaviour of wanting to constantly be on me.

He flies over to me all day long and all he wants to do is be on me...and bite my clothes, and sometimes tries to masterbate on me too.

But mostly he just wants to be on me and bite at my clothes, and then he gets mad when I try to stop him so he bites me.

He preens my face too though so there are fleeting moments of sweetness too.

Even at night, he used to be so easy to put to bed cause I would give him a treat and dim the lights and he'd go to bed himself but now...he flies to me in the dark. It's like he wants to sleep on me ir something. It's an obsession and I'm just really hoping it will die down soon.

That's why I'm wondering if this may be a hormonal spurt, or if it's just his new obsession?

And I'm also curious to learn all I can about hormones just cause it's good to know this stuff.
Echo went through a hormonal phase where he was all about digging when he was out, in clothes and blankets. He was also really into preening my clothes too. And he regurgitated in my armpit once. He preens my face too. Yup I let my little face biter preen my face, because I'm a crazy bird lady! :excited1: To be fair he hasn't bitten my face for about six months and it's pretty rare ;)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It really doesn't cost anymore to feed and house 2 birds than it does one. A barrier can be made as easy and cheaply with bed sheets and staples. If you look at the portions of food you feed your bird and how much of it they actually eat. The leftovers are almost enough to feed another bird. Make the same. Less waste.

You're letting your fear/phobia/anxiety (because I don't know what to call it or want to label it :) ) dictate your actions again. You have to live with a little more confidence in yourself. Ya gotta have attitude babe!! :devil:
Lol! I'm not worried about feeding cost. I'm more worried about vet costs and the fact that they might not get along.

Then having to keep them separate and devote separate one one one time is a bit too much for me right now.

I had not thought about sheet barriers before though! It's good to know there are other possibilities besides stainless steel mesh walls and major construction projects. I will keep that in mind! Thank you!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Echo went through a hormonal phase where he was all about digging when he was out, in clothes and blankets. He was also really into preening my clothes too. And he regurgitated in my armpit once. He preens my face too. Yup I let my little face biter preen my face, because I'm a crazy bird lady! :excited1: To be fair he hasn't bitten my face for about six months and it's pretty rare ;)
Interesting! Thank you for sharing some behaviours I had not thought of! I let Blu by my face and he bites it once in a while too. Congrats on 6 months of no new facial piercings! :rofl: