• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can we store Harrison's in another container ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
You should of returned it and got your money back! After working at the adoption program at Petsmart, I will never buy any food from them again. Most pet stores have a lot of issues with mice as well as flour moths.
I cleaned all the mouse urine off of the shelves at least once a month and many of the bags of food were ripped open by mice and covered in urine.
This was not my job, mind you, but none of the employees would have done it if I hadn't. I wasn't even employed by Petsmart.
i think i'm going to lose my breakfast :eek:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Maybe you should order directly from Lafaebers Saroj.
The pellets I do....and from now on the nutriberries too:eek:

One thing only Petsmart has is Nutriphase cockatiel mix .... i don't see it online.
I think I'll make my own mix.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison

The pellets I do....and from now on the nutriberries too:eek:

One thing only Petsmart has is Nutriphase cockatiel mix .... i don't see it online.
I think I'll make my own mix.
That is also a good idea. Nutripahase isn't the best mix IMO. Have you tried Dr. Harveys? I love their cockatiel mix. I feed it to Kei and Toady.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
That is also a good idea. Nutripahase isn't the best mix IMO. Have you tried Dr. Harveys? I love their cockatiel mix. I feed it to Kei and Toady.
it has NUTS in it.....I can't give any of my guys nuts except as a treat :)
It looks really good though!

CrashSmAshley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
Should be okay, just as long as it's not too oily or fatty. Most bags are made specially for the food to keep the oils and fats in and keep it fresh; when taken out of its original packaging the food may spoil faster, and rotten food particles bond with plastic molecules pretty darn well. That's why when you try to wash something plastic after food has been sitting in it for a while, the smell never really goes away :hehe: It might be best to just put the entire bag in a container. That's what I do with my dog food. Sometimes the zip gets broken one way or another so I just stuff the whole bag into a container and shut the lid

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
There really aren't many nuts and they are finely chopped so it's not like they are getting a whole nut. You could also get the parakeet mix which I think has less nuts in it, and doesn't have any sunflower seeds. Believe me, I'm very cautionary about protein with my pionus who are prone to gout, and this is one of the best mixes I've found.

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
The last 3 lb bag of tropical nutriberries I got from the local petstore had wiggly things in it after a few days of being open :eek::eek::eek:
I think they came in the bag so I promptly pitched it...that was a waste of 24.00 :eek:
I do like these containers....you just bop the top and the huge button springs up breaking the seal and you can lift it off. To reseal just press the button again. I'm very impatient so I find them very appealing.
EW! That sucks! What a joke..

I will definetly be getting these ones that you have.. I am impatient, too, so the button spring seal will be perfect! :)

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
This is getting really off topic. LOL
I was going to try to get some pictures of the cockatiel mix but I have it mixed in with some Golenfeast and Higgin's Mayan Harvest. So it wouldn't be a very good representation of it.

But here is the parakeet mix. I honestly can't see any nuts in it.

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Moths and/or bugs hatch naturally from grains when conditions permit them to. Trust me, YOU eat them if you eat grain/flour/bread,etc....:p

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
thanks Allison!:D
I'll try it. Where do you get yours?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Moths and/or bugs hatch naturally from grains when conditions permit them to. Trust me, YOU eat them if you eat grain/flour/bread,etc....:p
and here i thought i was a vegetarian!:eek::lol:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Last edited:

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
The last 3 lb bag of tropical nutriberries I got from the local petstore had wiggly things in it after a few days of being open :eek::eek::eek:
I think they came in the bag so I promptly pitched it...that was a waste of 24.00 :eek:
I do like these containers....you just bop the top and the huge button springs up breaking the seal and you can lift it off. To reseal just press the button again. I'm very impatient so I find them very appealing.
if you get it from petsmart or petco send it back. they will replace with a new one, no questions asked and no receipt needed. I got wiggly things in one of mine too and thats what i did.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
No wonder Opa wants to kiss my mouth while Im eating!!! He sees something yummy, buggy yummy!!:p:hehe::huh:

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
I freeze all my Harrison's in the bag and serve direct from the Freezer. I have done this for always and never had an issue.

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
When I got Tiki the old owner gave me a ziplock bag of Zupreem. I hadn't really looked at it until a few days ago as I already had some Zupreem on hand. I discovered the whole bag was crawling with sawtoothed grain beetles. GROSS. I immediately threw it in the trash can in the garage.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
angie i saw the same brand (Oxo good grips) containers in kmart today for a little cheaper but OMG so inferior in quality!:eek: Maybe that was what they first came out with and have since perfected them. The bedbath ones i got have large round buttons, smooth operating , the kmart buttons are square, smaller and very stiff to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.