• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can Vet Wrap Cause Crop Impaction?

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Hello!
This is not at all an emergency by any means, but I am wondering if chewing/regurgitating on vet wrap could lead to possible fiber ingestion? For context I have a healthy male sun conure who goes through waves of being hormonal, and goes through long periods of regurgitating on everything and then eating it back up. (He goes to the vet 1-2x a year for health check-ups so for him this is normal.) He'll do it on toys, perches, our heads, you name it! I wrap his main nighttime perch with a little vet wrap because he has gotten foot sores in the past and he's also a little clumsy, but he has another varied perch in the cage as a sleeping alternative. Recently I've noticed he's been particularly thrilled to both regurgitate and rip up the vet wrap on his main perch at night more so than he has in the past, which makes it frayed and creates fibers. I do not believe he is ingesting the fibers, but it crossed my mind today that he could be potentially be ingesting them. I only can ever find discussion on cotton/fabric toys causing crop issues, but never anything about vet wrap! :(

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
interesting question.
looking up vet wrap it says it: from WildCow 4 Inch Multicolored Vet Wrap Bulk - VetWraps.com
  • Self adherent elastic bandage wrap is made of nonwoven material, light weight, water resistant, adheres to itself, non sticky to hair or skin.
  • Vet wrap bandage tape contains latex, can be used on both people and pets (horses, livestock, dogs, etc).
Natural or organic latex would biodegrade over years or decades if nothing has been added to it, however to turn the liquid to a solid zinc oxide and sulfur or ammonia are used.
synthetic latex will not biodegrade. from In 2023, Is Latex Biodegradable, Compostable or Recyclable?

see this link for a vet's advice on using nondigestible things like polyester fleece where birds might ingest them
vet articles on avocado, zinc, grit, fleece/polyester happy huts

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
I wouldn't think so, the goober has only been doing it at night too! I put toy parts in there even to keep him occupied if need be, but apparently that isn't as fun! o_O I'll look into this softer calcium perch, thank you for the suggestion! I'm going to look into some softer wood perches that I can maybe cycle through as well.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Anything non digestible can cause impactions.

My macaw chews the vet wrap but does not eat it, I clearly see each piece he chews off being rolled up and dropped but my cocky I am not so sure of so I just don't use it for him unless it is on something I can watch him with any time he is using it.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
interesting question.
looking up vet wrap it says it: from WildCow 4 Inch Multicolored Vet Wrap Bulk - VetWraps.com
  • Self adherent elastic bandage wrap is made of nonwoven material, light weight, water resistant, adheres to itself, non sticky to hair or skin.
  • Vet wrap bandage tape contains latex, can be used on both people and pets (horses, livestock, dogs, etc).
Natural or organic latex would biodegrade over years or decades if nothing has been added to it, however to turn the liquid to a solid zinc oxide and sulfur or ammonia are used.
synthetic latex will not biodegrade. from In 2023, Is Latex Biodegradable, Compostable or Recyclable?

see this link for a vet's advice on using nondigestible things like polyester fleece where birds might ingest them
vet articles on avocado, zinc, grit, fleece/polyester happy huts
Both of these were an excellent read, thank you for that! I have removed the vet wrap from his nighttime cage as of now, so we are going to see how his feet look in the morning.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Anything non digestible can cause impactions.

My macaw chews the vet wrap but does not eat it, I clearly see each piece he chews off being rolled up and dropped but my cocky I am not so sure of so I just don't use it for him unless it is on something I can watch him with any time he is using it.
I was hoping vet wrap might have been an acceptation since it is used for pets, but that probably was a naive way of thinking! No type of fiber anything for this guy! :facepalm:

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I bet large diameter perches or a flat platform perch would be great for a bird who tends to get foot sores but can’t have a fiber perch.

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Most birds will chew but not eat the vet wrap. They should not be allowed to eat it.