• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Can repack Harrison’s pellets

Arashy

Meeting neighbors
Hey everyone, hope you’re all doing well.

I just bought a 5lb bag of Harrison’s Adult Lifetime Fine (that’s the only sized bag I was able to find in Dubai). Typically, my sun conure eats about 1lb of Harrison’s pellets per month. I’ve read everything Harrison’s says so I know it’s not good to keep a bag opened for longer than 6-8 weeks.

So, I went on Amazon and I found foil-lined pouches and a heated sealer (pictures probably attached below). I didn’t open the 5lb bag yet. Do you guys think I can pack it into five 1lb bags and seal them (squeeze the air out before that), and it should be ok? The 5lb bag expires on March 2025, but I wanna repackage them and he should eat all of them by July of 2024.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Harrison's told me to just keep it stored in the original bag and freeze it. So I take out about 1 lb at a time, squeeze all the air out, and put it back in the freezer.

I can't see why your idea wouldn't work though!

Arashy

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for the idea. I might do that. I’m just worried about condensation. But I think that shouldn’t be possible if their special packaging really stops permeability of oxygen and water.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Realistically I don't know how their foil line bag would be different than the ones you'd buy :) I've never had any type of ice crystals or anything in my food.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Yep, I buy a 5lb bag for 2 gccs….take out 1lb and store it in an old Harrison’s bag in the fridge, and store the rest in the original bag in the freezer. Been doing this for 15+ years, haven’t had a problem yet.

Tommy95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thomas
Harrison's told me to just keep it stored in the original bag and freeze it. So I take out about 1 lb at a time, squeeze all the air out, and put it back in the freezer.

I can't see why your idea wouldn't work though!
Did Harrison’s mention how long can an opened pack be stored in the freezer?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Did Harrison’s mention how long can an opened pack be stored in the freezer?
You know, I forgot to ask that part!

I did email them asking about an unopened, expired bag I had, and they said:

"We do not know how the food was stored so that could impact it. We would recommend smelling the food and look at it before feeding to your bird. If the nuggets crumbles easily or has any foul odor, DO NOT USE. Also, you should stop feeding if your bird get loose stools."

So, when I thaw more, I make sure it still seems fresh.

I'll email them to see if I can get more of a concrete answer.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Thank you for the idea. I might do that. I’m just worried about condensation. But I think that shouldn’t be possible if their special packaging really stops permeability of oxygen and water.
I vacuum seal bird food and (rice for myself) all the time. I use mylar bags and desiccant packs.
If youre going to seal them without vacuuming, i would use oxygen absorbers.

Last edited:

Tommy95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thomas
You know, I forgot to ask that part!

I did email them asking about an unopened, expired bag I had, and they said:

"We do not know how the food was stored so that could impact it. We would recommend smelling the food and look at it before feeding to your bird. If the nuggets crumbles easily or has any foul odor, DO NOT USE. Also, you should stop feeding if your bird get loose stools."

So, when I thaw more, I make sure it still seems fresh.

I'll email them to see if I can get more of a concrete answer.
Yes please do! I’m also thinking of getting a 5lb bag if space in freezer permits. It is cheaper than getting multiple 1lb bags.

What’s the longest you’ve stored an opened pack in the freezer for?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes please do! I’m also thinking of getting a 5lb bag if space in freezer permits. It is cheaper than getting multiple 1lb bags.

What’s the longest you’ve stored an opened pack in the freezer for?
6 months

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This is the answer I got:

"Good morning, there are many variables that will affect shelf life, how long the product is opened, how much air gets in, etc.
However, we are developing a nitrogen-based preserving agent to extend the shelf life of an opened bag in the upcoming months.
In the meantime, you could use a nitrogen-based wine preserver and spray about 4 sprays in the 5-pound bag and seal It quickly. This method could extend the freshness of an opened bag up to a year.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, we are here to help.*

Rebel

This is the answer I got:

"Good morning, there are many variables that will affect shelf life, how long the product is opened, how much air gets in, etc.
However, we are developing a nitrogen-based preserving agent to extend the shelf life of an opened bag in the upcoming months.
In the meantime, you could use a nitrogen-based wine preserver and spray about 4 sprays in the 5-pound bag and seal It quickly. This method could extend the freshness of an opened bag up to a year.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, we are here to help.*
Preservative = Booooo

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Preservative = Booooo
They are just providing information and an option for people who are interested. Take it or leave it :)

Rebel

They are just providing information and an option for people who are interested. Take it or leave it :)
Is it a separate product the consumer puts on the food or is it something they are going to put on the food?

Rebel

If its to be applied by the consumer, there goes the saving of buying a 5lb container.
myself, i wouldnt spray some nastiness on their food just to save a couple bucks. That being said, i think the consumer needs to demand they sell five one pound bags at the five pound price , if their product has such a short shelf life.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is it a separate product the consumer puts on the food or is it something they are going to put on the food?
If its to be applied by the consumer, there goes the saving of buying a 5lb container.
myself, i wouldnt spray some nastiness on their food just to save a couple bucks. That being said, i think the consumer needs to demand they sell five one pound bags at the five pound price , if their product has such a short shelf life.

It's a separate product is how I understood it. I haven't priced the item they mentioned, however looking at it, is appears that it's not a chemical, it's just using nitrogen to displace oxygen, since oxygen will help break down nutrients.

1 lb bags require more materials (5 bags will have more costs than 1 larger bag I am sure) so of course the price is different.

They have a short OPEN life, but that's because they aren't using preservatives in the food. So there's gonna be some give and take.

Rebel

I understand what youre saying about the packaging. Most likely super cheap for them to buy as they probably come from china. If they need to charge a few cents more for five one pounders, so be it.

You could use oxygen absorbers. Its ingredients are iron, carbon and salt. Relatively cheap and food safe. The packets of it come in many food items we buy.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
take out 1lb and store it in an old Harrison’s bag in the fridge
You keep your pellets in the fridge? Is this better for them? Do they stay fresher longer? I haven't heard of anyone doing this, I am really interested

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
You keep your pellets in the fridge? Is this better for them? Do they stay fresher longer? I haven't heard of anyone doing this, I am really interested
I just keep one pound or so in the fridge. The label states “refrigeration after opening may help maintain freshness”. I freeze the rest of the 5lb bag and refill the 1 lb bag as needed. Haven’t had a problem yet. Also, my house can hit 80 degrees F in the summer….
Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been out of town.