• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can parrots eat bread?

Muffin&Charlie

Meeting neighbors
I've just discovered my male conure Charlie likes bread! (specifically white baguette) Just wondering, is it safe for them to eat as a treat?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
As safe as it is for you to eat chocolate. How much chocolate should we eat?

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I used to occasionally give mine a tiny piece of raisin toast until we had a vet emergency and the vet found yeast in the droppings because of it. Was totally busted, lol.

Skipper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Scott Schifer
We have been giving all of our parrots multi-grain bread with flak seed. Our vet recommended it, and they love it. Just 2 to 4 square inches a day, depending on the size of the bird.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Mine get "Orowheat winter wheat" a couple times a week. Don't overdo anything, and they should be OK.

SueA555

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sue Anderson
Joey likes Winter Wheat too -- and it's my favorite. He gets a little when I am eating.

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Drini
Eris gets a tiny piece of wheat bread from time to time. Never more than a square inch or so, but that's just my personal guideline (and he IS a tiny bird). I don't know how much they can actually take. Eris generally gets just a bite or two of whatever it is I am eating (granted that it's a healthy, home-cooked meal low in salt/sugar and free of any human saliva).

Mike

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
As safe as it is for you to eat chocolate. How much chocolate should we eat?
What does this answer mean????

Please be more definitive.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What does this answer mean????

Please be more definitive.

White bread is food. Just like chocolat. Tastes good. Not much nutrition. The bird does not need white bread when there are plenty of better healthier choices.

Chihuahua

your answer was not helpful in the slightest lol

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Momma Birds Cafe and Harrison's make bird bread mix you can purchase online, like Amazon and probably other online vendors. Mine like Mommas, I try to bake them a loaf on Sunday mornings.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Making birdie bread is a much better idea. They put a lot of crap in bread for human consumption - preservatives and other things not good for us, let alone our birds.

The good thing about making birdie bread is you can smuggle in veggies and other things good for your feathered buddy

Mike

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
White bread is food. Just like chocolat. Tastes good. Not much nutrition. The bird does not need white bread when there are plenty of better healthier choices.
Thank you. As you may have noticed, I'm not too bright.

carolz7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol
I once a week or maybe less give them toast with peanut butter, my guys love there bread, bagels and of course i try to make it whole wheat when i have it at home. In moderation i dont see a problem.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I go to the health food store and buy organic whole wheat and such bread for the birds. I give the flock two slices a day and each bird eats what they want. By the end of the day the bread is gone split between all 17 birdies. I often "salt" the bread with calcium powder, some organic avian vitamins my vet gives me for use during the winter and other supplements. It is a great way to get some extra nutrition into them without a fight. Oh, I also sometimes use "Missing Link" type supplement for them as well.

Sunshine Senegal loves wheat berry bread. I give her a half slice and she rips through the bread, seeking the berries or seeds inside and discarding most of the actual bread. It is a kind of game with her as I have to hold the bread until it gets small enough for her to hold in her foot. Never had a problem with yeast or whatever from feeding the organic bread.