• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can lovebirds have mango?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
I know this may be an odd question, but I met someone yesterday with a pet lovebird and they said mango is poisonous to lovebirds, but not other birds. I never heard of this, but as I just got a mango for the linnies (as well as Buttercup, as they are supposed to be good for beardies) I thought I'd ask.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I've never fed mango to my birds, so I wasn't sure. I just googled mangoes. I couldn't find anything on toxicity, but I did find this: "I know a couple that lost their Grey because the stringy meat of the mango had got caught in the birds crop and was unable to digest the contents of it's crop. On top of the mango the bird had eaten sweet potato also and within a day or so, the sweet potato fermented in the crop and that is when they realized there was something wrong.Up until the bird was passed out on the bottom of the cage, they said everything seemed fine. So you may want to consider this before feeding mango."

Source: Keep Your Bird Safe - Lauras Feathered Friends

BirdsFTW

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maya
The sap of the mango tree often gives allergic reactions to humans. The branches/leaves aren't safe to give to the birds, but you can give them the fruit.

I've personally never heard of issues feeding mango to birds, and mango is a big staple fruit here and lots of people feed it to their birds. Wild birds, especially the Mynah, LOVE to eat the mango that has dropped to the ground. Personally, if the mango is REALLY fibrous, I usually don't even like to eat it myself. I tend to just give soft portions to Raptor (Mika won't eat fresh fruit).

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Ok Thanks Jasmine and Maya! :highfive:

I chopped it in the food processor and froze most of it, doesn't seem stringy at all. :shrug:

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I find some are stringy, some aren't. I don't know if it depends on variety or ripeness or???

I offer mango, but my lovies don't like it. More for ME!!! Yum!

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
​I slice off the meat and leave the stringy part since it is definitely dangerous and gets tangled up in the crop. The seed part I leave and throw away. Never put it in the cage for the birds to chew on! I have heard that it is toxic. Anyhow, all my birds have had mango for the past 40+ years with no problems at all. Go get some mango! Eat some yourself. They are so yummy! If the ends are just a little soft it means that they are ripe. When the whole mango is soft and there are some dark areas showing then they are maybe overly ripe.

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Personally, I don't like fresh mango, it makes my lips itchy.:o:
I loove dried mango and like some mango flavored things, so didn't expect not to like the fruit. lol

I'll offer it to the boys, but who knows if they'll even try it.I chopped it pretty fine, so maybe they won't have a choice in tasting it, maybe they'll decide they like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.