• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I tie a fishing line to his band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viva

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Viva Ann Guerrero
487314_10151925444365437_1660205914_n.jpg Hi, 292450_10151925444240437_789784189_n.jpg

I know this sounds ridiculous, but the guy at the store where I bought the bird told me if I want to take my bird out I can tie fishing line to its band so it wont fly away. Would this break it's leg? It is a small 7" brotogeris so I am not sure that a flight vest would work for him. Any experiences or advice?

I took him for a hike when I first got him and he was clipped and loved it so much!!!! I loved having him with me too. I hike a lot. Also, I am not a fan of clipping his wings. I know this is a recipe for disaster, but I believe in as much freedom as possible. Of course if he flew away we would both be devistated. We're totally bonded...

Thanks for any input!

Mac mom

Meeting neighbors
Try a aviator harness, definitley no fishing line!

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
No, absolutely not. That is a recipe for a broken or dislocated leg.

Please get a harness :) Clipped birds can still fly away, and a flighted bird needs to be reliably recall trained if you want to keep him.

Check out kaylor collars, they are made to fit the smallest birds.

Last edited:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would definitely not suggest it. You are right to think it could break his leg.

Clipped or flighted there is a risk of flying off. A safer way to restrain would be a harness, one of the packs or a travel cage. If you are active, the packs might be a nice way to go. Actually not clipping his wings is NOT a recipe for disaster. You will find there are a lot of us that keep our birds fully flighted :)

Pak-o-bird carrier

[h=1][/h]

Last edited:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Old practice of putting something on a birds leg to act as a harness. Lot of bird injuries from that practice. Also if they should get away that line can wrap easily on something making it difficult for them to survive.

There are a few harnesses on the market and well worth looking into.

Aviator Harness
Flight suit
feather tether.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A harness isn't 100% safe either. Just came from a seminar that mentioned clips can be undone by a smart bird and they can chew on the leash so always check those. Keep your eyes open for predators while out there.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yikes, forgot to add please, please do not use fishing line!

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
No fishing line please! If it were safe we would all be using some!
Try a harness if you are able to get your bird used to one, but even then you have to be vigilant as they do chew and eat their way out of anything if they have a mind to!

Mare

Hit the Road
Please, don't use fishing line! Yikes, if he got caught up in a tree! Train your bird for recall and even more than that, you need a well developed bond with your bird, one that is tight. Not one you THINK you have...one you KNOW you have.

Last edited:

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Aviator harness is the way to go :) Pak o' bird is fantastic too!

Lyzzi

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Lyzzi
I really have to go with the Aviator Harness, too. I use them on my babies and have never had a problem :)

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Having a strong bond WILL NOT protect your bird from flying off. I agree with the others, use a harness. The companies that were already mentioned have several sizes for all birds so just look around and see which one you like best or what would work best for you.

Mare

Hit the Road
Having a strong bond WILL NOT protect your bird from flying off. I agree with the others, use a harness. The companies that were already mentioned have several sizes for all birds so just look around and see which one you like best or what would work best for you.
A harness is a for sure way to hang on to your bird. How do you know FOR SURE, AmberMuffiinz, that a strong bond will not? Just curious here, why would you think this?

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
How do you know FOR SURE, AmberMuffiinz, that a strong bond will not? Just curious here, why would you think this?
I am going to get bashed for saying this, but I think it is perfectly fine to take your bird outside without a harness, but only if you have a strong bond with them and have them recall trained. I know MANY people who take their birds out without a harness, and they haven't had any problems. I am not saying that everyone should do this, I know I would never take Peatree out without her flight suit, but that is because she is not recall trained and gets spooked.

Mare

Hit the Road
Yes, things can happen like a loud car driving by or a sudden shift in the tectonic plates, even a dog running by or a gunshot. In my experience, if your bird is strongly bonded to you, knows his environment well, he has a good chance of coming back to you safely. I'm not advising this to anyone, just my views.

Mare

Hit the Road

I am going to get bashed for saying this, but I think it is perfectly fine to take your bird outside without a harness, but only if you have a strong bond with them and have them recall trained. I know MANY people who take their birds out without a harness, and they haven't had any problems. I am not saying that everyone should do this, I know I would never take Peatree out without her flight suit, but that is because she is not recall trained and gets spooked.

You have a brave soul!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Now I have heard everything...:huh:

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I'm not going to turn this into an argument so this is my last post on the topic. If you think that a bond is going to protect your bird 100% I sure hope you learn the reality before something bad happens. Even professional free flighters lose birds. To think otherwise is a bit naive. Now let's revisit Tui's story for a reality check.

Viva

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Viva Ann Guerrero
I get the feeling that the bird would want to come back. However in my case, Im waiting for his wings to grow out so I can teach him to fly. Im not sure if it requires a lot of intelligence for a bird to find its way back, that maybe a small bird like mine wouldn't possess? The only way I can see him leave would be if he TOOK OFF! and in all the excitement couldn't find its way back. Then again my moms Grey has flown away twice and we got him back luckily thanks to the kindness of strangers. The first time he was a baby and didnt have flight feathers but we were on a hill and he soared slowly off it. I was 10 or so with boundless energy and ran a few hundred yards under it until it landed pretty far off. It was intense. I picked him up and he said "Uh-oh" lol. Uh-oh is right!

A few years ago, he flew away again when he figured out a couple days in a row how to get out of his aviary and sit on top of it. Well some AT&T guys came by the backyard and spooked him away. We lived on a foot hill and he soared somewhere into the neighborhood below. When we picked him up that last time he was SUPER happy to see us even though, judging by their cell phone videos of him playing and talking with their little dog, I think he had a fun excursion. Of course it broke our hearts when he flew away, we hand raised him and he is almost 20 now.

Wait now, I will look into them, but are these harnesses made like the Flight Suit? I had one of those before to curb plucking on a large bird, and not only was it made ridiculously cheap it was uncomfortable and easy to chew through. What we did then was make our own t-shirt for the bird in a similar flight suit design minus the poop catch. It worked great, or at least better, but in this case it is riskier considering I want to take the bird on a hike and dont want to loose the bird if it gets spooked... My own craftsmanship might not be fail safe. But it sounds like they arent fail proof either...?

I envision I would want for the little guy a lightweight but durable shammy leather that would be soft, seamless and unrestrictive. Is this too much to ask? haha

Okay, here I go, i am going to google the different options now... Thanks guys!!! Let me know your experiences and your favo

Status
Not open for further replies.