• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I Still Own A Bird If I Have A Cat?

^Squawk_Pop^

Sitting on the front steps
For a long time now, I've been researching and learning more and more about cockatiels and have finally decided I'm ready to bring one home. However, it suddenly hit me- What about my cat?! I'd really hate to have wasted all this time I've spent preparing for a bird, but I don't want to put the poor thing in danger! I am afraid my cat will stalk the bird and stress him out, which may lead to farther plucking and more, or even worse, kill him. It just really upsets me because I've been looking forward to this for so long and now I don't even know if I can get one... I am aware that even a lick from a feline could cause serious infections to the bird. Anyone have any advice or suggestions? Thanks so much!

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
You can have a bird and a cat, just make sure the bird is in a different room than the cat at all times. This would mean having a bird room, where the car is never allowed. I have two cats and three dogs at my house. Boba stays in my room and cats are not allowed near my door.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I wouldn't risk it personally

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I have had birds and cats for at least 20 plus yrs without an issue but you have to be careful ...keep cats away from bird cages if they are out together and never have your cat out when your birds out of its cage ..its all about balance making sure the cats know that birds are totally off limits ...you just have to be on top of them all the time or have a bird room that the cat never goes into :)

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
We have two dogs (well, the mother in law does). It took some time to teach the dogs that Buddy isn't a chew toy, but it happened. I think it depends on the individual dog or cat.

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
My friend recently got a budgie, and she has a kitty. The cat... doesn't care about her bird, just stares at it. Just keep kitty in a different room, and supervise them at all times.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I have a cat and dogs along with my birds. They leave each other alone and are never together unsupervised. It hasn't been an issue for me.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How old is your cat? It's not going to live forever and you're young. What's the rush?

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Of course you can have a cat and a bird - lots of people do.
First of all, if you are getting a handfed bird that is already tame and not afraid of people, then it will probably be unafraid of the cat as well (unless it has a prior bad experience with a cat, of course). Seeing the cat will not cause it stress, but it does mean that it's especially important that you keep it safe from the cat.
How you keep them together depends on your cat's personality... basically, is your cat a hunter? If you have a determined hunter, then it's a little harder to keep a bird safe. You will almost definitely need to keep them separate rooms. The bird might be able to be in a secure cage while the cat's in the room if you can keep an eye on them.
If you have an easy going cat that is uninterested in birds, then you can probably have the cage in a room that the cat has access to. You might even be able to have the bird out at the same time as the cat, but this does require close supervision. A bird that is startled into flight or fluttering can awaken a hunting instinct in an otherwise lazy cat.
Also, you'll want to get a large, sturdy cage with smaller bar spacing (to keep paws out, just in case) - basically something like a flight cage or larger, no wire cages with doors that a cat or bird could slide up. And I would recommend also getting one of those treat dispensers that cats roll around, so that if the kitty needs to spend time locked up in another room, at least he can be entertained and happy.

My own experiences with cats and birds were with a pretty lazy cat who was already about 7 years old when I got my first bird, my GCC. He showed a little interest in her, but since she wasn't scared of him and didn't act like 'prey', he quickly lost interest in her. I have to admit, I got pretty casual with them over the years. They were nearly always loose in the house together when someone was home; I would usually shut the birds in the bird room when no one was around, but sometimes the cat would be asleep in the bird room in the closet or some other hiding place, and I'd miss him and accidentally lock him in there with the birds. And then, there was one time I went away for the weekend and had a pet sitter. The birds were supposed to stay locked in their room and the cat in the rest of the house; well my GCC must've flown out and the bird sitter missed it, so I came back with my GCC locked out of her bird room with the cat. Not only that, but she'd apparently tried to fly back to the bird room when the rest of the house got dark, and I found her on the floor in the hallway outside her room - very hungry and very happy to be picked up off the floor, but otherwise just fine. The cat finally passed away at age 19, and he never harmed or tried to harm a bird.
I wouldn't recommend this; I had an especially easy-going cat, and even so, I lucked out. But cats are not always quite the danger people make them out to be. Some older parrot books even recommend getting a cat to help keep a parrot company during the day! On the other hand, though, if you have a cat who's a hunter, it's virtually impossible to train that tendency out of them and they can never really be trusted.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
My budgie got nailed by our tom cat who was afraid of and wouldn't touch my Large parrots. I decided the budgie needed some time out and he fluttered over the cat and he reached up and swatted him, poor guy had to be put down. Yes you can have them together but you can't have them out where they can get to each other or things like that can happen and cats are fast when they get triggered. Like said even the calmest cat can get triggered by a sudden burst of feathers overhead.
Good luck and be careful and both can have happy lives.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
My budgie got nailed by our tom cat who was afraid of and wouldn't touch my Large parrots. I decided the budgie needed some time out and he fluttered over the cat and he reached up and swatted him, poor guy had to be put down. Yes you can have them together but you can't have them out where they can get to each other or things like that can happen and cats are fast when they get triggered. Like said even the calmest cat can get triggered by a sudden burst of feathers overhead.
Good luck and be careful and both can have happy lives.
I'm so sorry for your loss, but it is important that you posted this. When I was a teenager I had a hamster and two dogs, a border collie and a coon hound. My border collie treated the hamster like her own puppy and would lick it clean and cuddle with it. One day the coon hound discovered the hamster and tried to eat it. Literally just tried to swallow it hole. Thankfully nobody was hurt. This is the kind of thing that can happen when you have mismatched pets. And when stupid 14 year old boys (former me) allow these pets to interact.

Rolanda

We had a 14 year old 16 pound tabby when I first got Beaks. He was never predatory and always an indoor cat (we had him from 8 weeks old). He never showed ANY interest in the bird, at all. However, when the bird was out, the gate was locked with the cat downstairs. All it would take is one spark of nature, in those, old, fat, arthritic bones (he really is a sweet cat though) and the bird would be done for. It never happened and my older son took Bebop with him when he moved into his own home. It takes a lot of maintenance, but it can be possible. But could always go wrong.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have two dogs and one CAG. I had both of my birds (one now deceased from old age) before I adopted a 6-month-old sheperd mix puppy and then my aunt's 1-year-old chihuahua mix.

I think it really helped that I got a puppy who learned to live with my parrots, although I always supervise when the bird is out.

Size helps, too. I'd worry a lot more about a small bird with a cat or dog.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I have two dogs and one CAG. I had both of my birds (one now deceased from old age) before I adopted a 6-month-old sheperd mix puppy and then my aunt's 1-year-old chihuahua mix.

I think it really helped that I got a puppy who learned to live with my parrots, although I always supervise when the bird is out.

Size helps, too. I'd worry a lot more about a small bird with a cat or dog.
Absolutely. A hyacinth macaw is much more of a threat to a cat than the cat is to the bird. :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Absolutely. A hyacinth macaw is much more of a threat to a cat than the cat is to the bird. :)

Disagree. A tiny wound from a cat can lead to serious infection and/or death.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have 2 bengals, which have prey drive. I never get the birds out when the cats aren't secured upstairs. Even a car that seems to have no interest might surprise you one day. You can have both, just be vigilant.