• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I separate my tiels?

airriana c

Moving in
Real Name
airriana chitwood
So, the two cockatiels I have are both female (I'm almost 100% sure) and I'm not sure I can take care of them both. they were purchased together, but I'm not sure if they're bonded. They don't preen eachother and just seem to like the company is all. But I don't know what to do, because I'm scared it'll cause the one of keep to being sad, or scream. I don't know, I feel like if be hurting them.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
If they've lived together for a while they will certainly miss each other.

May I ask why you can only take care of one?

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
Tiels are naturally flock birds and I feel to separate could change the birds feeling of security.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm not sure I can take care of them both.
Of course you can. If you can look after one there is absolutely no difference looking after two.

A solitary bird is a lonely bird.

Yes you'd be hurting them.

airriana c

Moving in
Real Name
airriana chitwood
If they've lived together for a while they will certainly miss each other.

May I ask why you can only take care of one?
well, my family is constantly complaining how I was given two instead of one. And yesterday, my mother said I wouldn't be able to care for either of them unless I got rid of one. It's really sad, but I feel you are all right, and that I'll just have to talk to her. I guess I also just wasn't ready for two. I wanted one for specific reasons but I wouldn't want to cause them sadness.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope you can keep them both. It really isn’t much different taking care of two. In some ways it’s actually easier because they have each other for company. You are right to worry about screaming having just one. You would have to make sure their cage is big enough, but the only real difference is vet care costs.