• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I see your Indian Ringneck Set-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Hey, I was on the go to get a Parrotlet, but after comments here about how Parrotlets arent "Starter" birds, I decided to go for my dream bird and get an IRN - the breeder says she will be ready early June!!!

It would really be helpful to see everyones Ringneck set-ups so I can decide on a cage. (After I return the 32x21x55 cage I had originally bought for the Parrotlet! LOL)

I would really appreciate all your help on this, thanks in advance!

(And thanks to those who helped me see that a Parrots a Parrot and there is no such thing as a Starter Bird, LOL)

:D

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Our IRN, Smudge, has a 36x24 cage, but I'd love to upgrade when I have the money; she uses the whole cage and is quite active! I don't have any recent pics of her cage, but I'll try to get some later, right now my dad is using my camera.

Also, I noticed you are in Calgary! I'm a couple hours north of Calgary. If you don't mind me asking, which breeder are you getting your baby from?

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Here's a pic of Kiwi and Smudge's cage:)

The cardboard hanging down on the left used to be a plain pizza box:hehe: I buy them in packages of 50, my fids love them:rolleyes:

Attachments

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Thank You, that is helpful!
Im getting my IRN from Genesis Aviaries - She comes very highly recommended. Where did you get yours?

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
You're welcome:)

I've heard good things about Genesis Aviaries, but I don't know her myself! Smudgie is actually a rehome that I got through the bird store I work at:)

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Im not brave enough for a re-home, but kudos to experienced bird owners/parents for taking on that responsibility. All I can do is SWEAR on my life I will NEVER re-home my IRN. I've already arranged for foster parents in the event I pass away.

Still looking for other IRN set-ups - Can you help by posting yours?
Also, Im wondering about bar width - Can it be larger than 1 Inch for an IRN? Id like to get a large cage, but bard width had always been an issue!! :(

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
CONGRATS!! You're doing your research :) there's no reason you shouldn't go for your dream bird! I can't wait to see pictures!

JenG78

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jen
Here is Joey's cage, along with his tabletop playgym setup... he might be a little spoiled :lol:

DSCN1128.jpg

DSCN1130.jpg

DSCN1131.jpg

JoeyNewCage.jpg

DSCN1121.jpg

We actually have a much improved light setup and tabletop area, but I don't have new photos yet... gotta get on that :hehe:

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Actually Jen, Im trying to locate this exact type of cage (size and style) but have yet to find one this large with bar width smaller than 1". I am starting to get so FRUSTRATED!!! Ordering online isnt an option for me (we do not us CC's - dont like to spend money I dont have, LOL) and stores in this city are offering only larger cages with wide bar spacing, or tiny little cages with the right spacing.

Where did you get your cage? (Though I suppose its irrelevent since we live in different countries, LOL)
And you think 1' is too wide for even an adult IRN?

Nice set up by the way - Not spoiled, Loved! LOL I cant wait!!!

JenG78

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jen
well, his cage is this model from Prevue Hendryx: Prevue Pet

If you get it in cobalt, red or dk green, then the top looks like mine.

Their customer service is great, you could contact them and see if anyone in your area sells them. We bought it locally too, for about the same price as online, but minus shipping, which was awesome! Dr Fosters & Smith sells it, it's this cage: Park Place Select Series Bird Cage for Large Birds at Drs. Foster & Smith

We got ours locally for about $350. I love his cage, it's super sturdy, easy to clean (I can get my head and shoulders thru the door) and it was a snap to setup!

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
Great setups! I hope more people post, Polly has a nice big cage but it's impossible to clean and i have to unscrew it and take it apart to really clean it. Needless to say, I'm looking for a new cage.
Ps Congrats on your new baby!!:hug8: Can't wait to see him or her!

keith1569

Meeting neighbors
i love IRN..it will be hopefully the next bird i get hahah..or an african grey lol..who knows when that will be..i love seeing the set ups though

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Thanks Jen, Im going to look into it. Megan gave me some website that ship witin canada, maybe I can find the same or similar. I dont know why I feel so rushed/panicked, I have until June for heavens sakes! LOL

Im VERY excited if you cant tell, LOL

carlottalyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
Thank you guys for the setup pictures! :) Kim, I just went through exactly the same thing you did. Thought I was getting a Parrotlet, found a cage that I was planning on buying, I'd even found the bird I thought I'd get...then realized that it wasn't what I really wanted, and that I was seeing it as an easier, mellower alternative because of the tiny size. I'm sure a Parrotlet does make a fantastic pet for many people, but it's not what I really want and dream of. IRN on the other hand...swoon. :D Anyway! Love the cage pics. They're giving me some good ideas while I'm on a hunt for the right cage!

JenG78

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jen
OK, here is a more recent photo of his cage, but apparently I didn't get his light in this shot... he has a hanging light now, over the playtop, very spiffy!

DSCN1252.jpg

And this is the coffee table he took over, check out the playgym & t-stand his daddy made him :heart: oh, and he's showing you his GINORMOUS tail, which is one of the reasons we bought such a large cage... he uses EVERY inch!

DSCN1260.jpg

And his PVC playgym on the OTHER coffee table he's taken over... :hehe:

DSC00053.jpg

And this is him showing off his latest trick... shaking hands! I LUUUUUURVE this little man! :hug8: ohh, and you can see his little eyebrows and the shadow of his ring coming in... he's got a few black feathers on each side of his beak, and the white on the back, plus the grey in the front. He'll be 2 in May, so I'm guessing the ring will start growing in soon!

JoeyShake.jpg

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Thank you guys for the setup pictures! :) Kim, I just went through exactly the same thing you did. Thought I was getting a Parrotlet, found a cage that I was planning on buying, I'd even found the bird I thought I'd get...then realized that it wasn't what I really wanted, and that I was seeing it as an easier, mellower alternative because of the tiny size. I'm sure a Parrotlet does make a fantastic pet for many people, but it's not what I really want and dream of. IRN on the other hand...swoon. :D Anyway! Love the cage pics. They're giving me some good ideas while I'm on a hunt for the right cage!
So Funy that people worlds apartcould take the same journey like that!
I had felt exactly the same way, until people right here on AA wised me up! LOL Looking forward to sharing our NEWBIE experience together!
(I posted in another thread of yours about this I think, LOL)

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
WOW, Joey is one handsome man!!!
And Holy Smokes Chiquitas cage is incredible! I would love to find something that large with adequate bar spacing, but it seems hopeless! Did you get that online Courtney?

carlottalyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
Wow, love Joey and Chiquita's setups!!! What lucky little birdies. :D That black cage looks like it's the same one that I've been eying on CL...hoping he'll drop his price a bit more.

Kim, we're actually not that far apart if you're in Calgary! I'm just south of the border. ;) And yes, I was amazed when I read your post, it was identical to what I was thinking! Can't wait till we get our feathered-babies. :dancing:

Status
Not open for further replies.