• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I pleasepleaseplease vent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Hey we all do things in rage and say things we don't mean. Come on, haven't you yelled at your kid and were sorry later or said something to your spouse you didnt' really mean just because you were angry. I think Amanda is a little dramatic in her writing and I feel her cat is in a loving home, just struck a nerve yesterday, but really that wasn't the best place to keep something so precious and sentimental.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Personally, I'm glad you did post this...My reaction at first was like John's...something deeper here for you to go off like that...and YES, I too have been there at a younger age and to this day remember the feeling and said I would NEVER go there again...
I think some of us who are older understand that if you loose it with an animal, you can loose it with a human being because you are more intent on the object lost (or what ever triggered the reaction) than on the way you react...
we place things where we think we like them, not thinking what could happen with them being in that spot...if you have dogs/cats/birds/kids a windowsill is not a good place for treasures...If the window had been open and a HUGE gust of wind done the same....what would you have done? You can't take and show the wind what it did and punish it...
I think we all have learned something from your post...
I'm glad you have made up with your sweet cat....:hug8:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I would totally feel the same way at first and feel guilty later. I don't think that means I should get rid of my animals because of it though. I envy those that have responded that never get upset or say things they don't mean. Must be nice to have such control over emotions like that all the time. I came from a family where everything was screamed at each other. Partially be because my grandfather was hard of hearing one refused to wear his hearing aids :lol: and partially because they were just angry people.

It may not be an item of value but Raylan(b&g macaw) loves to run over to any glass that has drink in it and toss it off the table to watch the glass smash on the floor below :lol: I can't tell you how hard it was not to make him into birdie soup! :lol:

I think you have a right to vent. I'm glad you got it all out and then made up with the cat.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Vent away Amanda! By the way, my youngest daughter is named Amanda, and she is in CA at the moment going to school. She just told me that she misses me, but not enought to come home for her entire 3 week summer break :(

Anyway, I digress... My oldest absolutely adores animals. She has and would give up anything for her animals (she has 5-2 cats, 2 dogs, and a horse). But, she gets angry at her animals too. We are human with distinctive emotions for certain situations.

Yeah, getting angry at times is pointless, but you can't bottle it up and not expect it to come out somehow. That's me. I will go and go and go until I just can't take it anymore and KABOOM! Hubby is usually the one who gets it. Does it mean that I don't love him? Heck, no! Does it mean that I want to rehome him? Well... Just kidding! He is a wonderful man and he knows how to handle my mood.

Ok, I know what you're going to say. He's a human, not an animal and has the mental capacity to know when I am about to explode. So do my animals. Although they are not human, they too know when my mood changes. Most animals do. That is why they work so well as therapy animals. :D

Imma shuttin up now... :p

Liana

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
My dogs have broken items in the past, but not as much as I have (I'm a notorious klutz). If you have collectibles it would be best to showcase them in a cabinet with glass doors, so that it would be safely contained but still on display.

Honestly, if one of my dogs broke a very valuable item near and dear to my heart my first reaction would be to get the animals away from the broken object so they wouldn't hurt themselves. Then I would kick myself for having the item in a place where my dogs could break it in the first place!

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
ok wait guys, venting and yelling is one thing, grabbing the cat and trying to rub his face in the broken stuff is quite another....sorry, I still dont agree...yelling and grbbing are TWO DIFFERENT SCENARIOS.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I very highly doubt that she meant she literally shoved his face INTO the PILE of broken glass. I took it as she meant that she turned his head so that he had to look at what he did, the pile of broken glass.

"I" would have reacted to what happened first, then dealt with the mess next. That is how "I" deal with things. When Joey flew out our door, I turned and blamed hubby-told him that it was his fault then went after Joey. My stupidity because I didn't see where he went. But, my daughter was chasing after him and saw which way he went.

It would be nice if we all reacted to situations the same way...no road rage, no war, etc. But then again, we would be all very boring and there wouldn't be any newspapers or news anchors or hospitals or military personnal... Ok, I am reaching here. But seriously, we all deal with things differently. She vented, she apologized to her cat, he was not hurt-she states so in her post, THE END.

birdmama61

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
cathy
Oh dear honey I cannot tell you how many things I have had ruined by dogs , broken fish tanks , and such etc .. and I have yelled to the high heavens and I dont yell anymore cause who am I yelling at ? do they understand it ? No but still you feel better when you yell . we get over it and it passes and we feel so much better so maybe you could just go outside and scream and feel better . LOL !!!We have all been there .

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
one of the angels i got on one of my sons flower arrangements from his funeral was on a shelf,the cats never go up there,one of them did knocked it off and broke it,i was so upset,i said i hate that cat,after picking up the angel(was not as bad as i thought it was glueable)i realised it was me i was mad at i brought these pets into my house and cats are cats they jump play get on shelfs and window sills..i put them in the curio...funny thing is later when i went to glue the angel i realized his legs were broke off and part of the halo,this made me smile,my son was handicap and in a w/c we always joked and told him"hey straghten up your Halo its gettin crooked" this cat that did this was his kitty,it always slept and layed on him..i put the angel in the curio without fixing it,i smile everytime i see it and like you i LOVE that bad puddy cat:heart:

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
ok wait guys, venting and yelling is one thing, grabbing the cat and trying to rub his face in the broken stuff is quite another....sorry, I still dont agree...yelling and grbbing are TWO DIFFERENT SCENARIOS.
I didn't rub his face into anything. He was a good two feet away in my arms with me holding his face in that direction so he could see it. If I had really done something like that your comment would be totally warranted, however, I do not believe in animal cruelty. Yelling is one thing, potentially causing life-threatening problems because he inhaled glass is not something I would EVER do...let me just make that clear.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I thank everyone who tried to defend me and understands where I'm coming from. I am young, I do have a temper (which I never let out physically), and I should probably figure out something to do with the few breakables I have when we have some extra money laying around. In the meantime, I have to deal with things like this, which is OKAY. Everyone gets mad, and for those of you who say you don't I challenge you to not come up with at least one time where you got so angry you "lost it."

I get angry, I get upset, and I let it out then so it doesn't get released on some unsuspecting person or animal or translated into depression later. That's part of what honesty is. Granted, it is rarely (uh, ever...I don't think I have ever been so mad!) of that degree. Regardless, my cat IS NOT hurt, I'm not giving him up even though I do think about it when he gets on my nerves!:lol: YES, I do feel guilty for yelling at him because he didn't mean to do it and I can't take it back. Either way, I would have been yelling, whether it was at him or at the dishes in the sink I did afterwards.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know how you feel when I was about 12 my pup Penny,chewed up one of my Lion King Nala toys and boy was I mad. I swore in my 12 yr old mind that I would never forgive her for ruining my favorite LK Toy.

That lasted about 5 mins,then when I was crying she crawled up to me and gave me little puppy kisses and all was ok.

Its ok to be upset over loosing something you care deeply about,Im sure Booth knows that what he did was wrong and is sorry.

All that matters is that he is ok,and you two have made up :hug8:

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
Next time write an email to yourself and send it to your self and read it the next day. With a clear head things will jump out at you.

Cat cowering in the corner. Shouldn't have to be that way as the cat was being a cat. If a parrot had done the same thing again, it was a bird just being a bird.

If you have something else that is special think about it now and how you can change the outcome now rather than later.

Yes, it is hard to loose something of sentimental value. When lost it makes us stop to think what is really important. :hug8:Peggy
I agree!:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am glad you made it clear that you just yelled at him...it is scary and I am glad you realize you need to get your temper under control a bit more...:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.