• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can different types of canaries breed?

Avianary

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Rorschach
If something like a red factor breed with a yellow canary will the young be fertile? just curious.

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Yes, but their color won't be pretty. All the canary types are the same species. Like all dogs can breed, all the canaries can too. Dog mixed breeds are called mutts (and sometimes 'designer breeds') and mixed breed canaries are called kitchen canaries.

Occasionally, you'll come across canary mules. These are canaries crossed with similar species (like Siskin, gray singers, etc) that usually produce infertile offspring , but the males are prized for their singing.

Avianary

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Rorschach
Would It look something like an apricot canary?

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
From what I understand apricot canaries are non intensive ("frosted") red-orange birds. I don't think they are called that anymore. I guess some of the offspring would have a chance at looking like apricot. Or you can get a non intensive red factor and don't give canthaxanthin. Just carrots and other beta carotene rich foods during the molt.