• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can conure need high fatty seed mix?

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Hello
Im purchase jenday conure,and pineapple conure.i provide them cockatiel seed mix.but i heard conure need high fatty seed mix(specially high percentenge sunflower) seed mix like african gray parrot. Now im very confuse what type seedmix actually need conure. Can anybody help me advice please. Thanks.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
It should mainly be pellets. You should have the least a count of sunflower seeds possible, and only supplement them as a treat.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Conures do not need high fat diets. They don't even NEED seeds.

The issue is that fats and sugars are calorie (energy) dense. If the energy isn't used, it is stored. Stored energy is stored as fat.

In the wild they need all that energy as they fly miles a day. In our homes their energy needs are a fraction of what they would need in the wild. Vegetables are naturally lower in sugars and thus lower in calories. That's why vegetables should make up a greater portion of the diet for captive birds.

The focus should be pellets and vegetables. Seeds should be in treat amounts, meaning not more than 10% of the diet.

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Can i feed veggie,fruits,grains daily? Which type veg,fruits,grain i give can you told details please.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, veggies, grains and a small amount of fruit can and should be fed daily.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Monjur, back in August of 2019 you had budgies chicks suffering and we did guide you to ordering formula for them. If you can order formula can you also order a quality pellet to feed to your birds? You have quite a variety of birds, conures, lovebirds, budgies and cockatiels. Have you been able to improve the conditions for your birds in the last year?