• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can chickens be pet birds?

birdlover123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nick
Hi All

As the programmer of an app dedicated to keepers of pet birds, I had a few emails from people who were surprised that chickens were not on the list of supported species within the app.

Their argument was that chickens can be pets too, not just egg or meat factories. Now, since my app is for owners of 'pet birds', these people who keep chickens considered themselves to be as much 'pet bird lovers' as owners of budgies, cockatiels or any other parrot.

So my question to readers is: "do you consider chickens to be candidates for the position of 'pet bird'"? And if so, as a sneaky follow-up question which I hope the powers that be on this forum may take an interest in: "why don't online pet bird forums cater for owners of (pet?) chickens?".

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Nick

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chickens absolutely can be pets, and we have members here with pet chickens. They're lovely animals with as much personality as any other bird. I've always wanted a little flock of them myself, but I live in the city.

We do have a section on AA for people with pet chickens and other 'farm birds': Poultry Row.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I totally think Chickens, ducks or geese can be pet birds. In fact one day, if I have enough land, I'd love to get a pet duck or goose. It seems to me that many people who have pet poultry just consider the eggs a bonus.

There are forums for people who keep chickens, I'm sure if you google around you'll find some. As hrafn mentioned, we have a poultry forum here too.

I believe @TikiMyn has ducks, maybe she can chime in?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
"Any" animal can be a pet. It's not about the animal. It's about you. If you look after it and treat it like a pet then that's what it is.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Any animal who lives with your family and you take care of is a ¨pet¨.
Pet chickens really are not that rare :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Chickens can definitely be pets- and house pets. I was recently at a bird show and this woman had a beautiful "show" rooster. (Don't ask me what kind.) But I said that I would love to someday have chickens (mainly silkies) but that I lived in the city and couldn't have a coop where I am. She was completely horrified and explained that her birds were house birds not outside birds.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi All
So my question to readers is: "do you consider chickens to be candidates for the position of 'pet bird'"? And if so, as a sneaky follow-up question which I hope the powers that be on this forum may take an interest in: "why don't online pet bird forums cater for owners of (pet?) chickens?".

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Nick
Yes! There are whole forums dedicated to chickens. The owners are soooo into them! In fact I painted a chicken because my aunt and cousin were going on about how beautiful it was. Sent it to Auntie on her b-day and mom got her a cool frame. I'll see if I can find.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, chickens can absolutely be pets! So can ducks and geese - you may want to add support for those species as well.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Oh yes, we have a neighbor at the farm, who's chickens live in comfort. They have coop that has a fan type swamp cooler in their coop. In the winter they have a heater. They are free range in his yard. The only yard that is free of bugs. If they lay eggs so be it, but it not a requirement. They come to greet you if you come over.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
If you raise them from a young bird they will imprint and bond to you like any other creature and want to be part of the flock/family. Many here have rescued wild baby birds that couldn't go back to the nest or lost their parents. They bond and think you are their funny looking parents. We rescued a tiny female house finch from a crow that planned to have her for dinner and fed her and loved her and she bonded and loved us right back. She was fun to have around and was always into something, singing the songs of her people, and playing with the toys in her beloved house. Her name was Beeper :xflove:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Chickens are most definitely companion animals and pets. Suburban and urban chicken keeping is becoming more and more wide spread. In fact this is a more traditional way to keep chickens, industrial farming is the "new" thing. There will be lots of people searching for better information on keeping chickens happily and safely. --Most meat/egg production operations, have NO interest in the animals' welfare. Sadly many of these sources are what backyard chicken keepers have as guidelines. Chickens need access to natural behaviours such as foraging, dust bathing, stretching, flapping, perching and grazing. House chickens do exist, but it must be understood that all chickens need time outside or at least need to be in the dirt. The oil in their feathers has evolved to bond to dirt--so when a chicken rolls in dirt they clean their feathers.

I have made this thread before to help with understanding the complex social needs of chickens.

Beginners Understanding Chickens' Psychology and Emotions | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I would say you should also include quail on your ap. Quail are better egg layers for apartments or houses than chickens since they need less space and depending the species have a lower ammonia out put.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yes they certainly can be pets.

We had a heap of chickens that would come running from the other side of the house when they were called and followed my kids everywhere they went.
They would always try to sneak into the house and when they got caught and were told to get outside they would insist on having the kitchen window opened for them to go back outside. If you sat down for a coffee or rest you could guarantee at least one of them would jump into your lap for a snuggle.

My cousin also had a pet chook when she was young and that chook knew exactly where it could and could not go in the house. They are quite interesting if the time is put into them!!

I also know a lady who has a pet chook that goes everywhere with her.....I think her chook thinks it’s a dog lol.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Yes! There are whole forums dedicated to chickens. The owners are soooo into them! In fact I painted a chicken because my aunt and cousin were going on about how beautiful it was. Sent it to Auntie on her b-day and mom got her a cool frame. I'll see if I can find.
Backyard chickens is a popular forum. Quite large.

birdlover123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nick
Thanks to you all for your ideas, memories and comments. I think I asked the wrong question, really. It should have been 'Are chickens commonly found pets?', coz I needed to know if it would be worth adding them to the list of supported birds in the app. Anyway, I've added a few chook breeds now so we'll see if chicken owners find it useful.

Thanks again.

Gracie_Bean

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
A friend of mine has pet chickens and just lets them roam free around her house. They love to cuddle with her and follow her around.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
A friend of mine has pet chickens and just lets them roam free around her house. They love to cuddle with her and follow her around.
We have 60 chickens ...quite friendly and a couple like to sit on my lap.....as for in house...ahhh no! No way. That many chickens I'd be swimming in sh+t!!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
well my aunt had to wait until someone tall showed up to photograph her painting. Here's the chicken she and my cousin were gushing about on FB. I mean, my oil painting of it.

62148199_3250836601609330_27656243606716416_o.jpg