• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can birds eat sun dried tomatoes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danadear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
I bought some..then thought I'd better check it out..then got confused. A normal course of events for me. :)

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Well I guess no'one knows the answer. It's confusing to me because I read that birds shouldn't eat raw tomatoes but can eat cooked tomatoes. Obviously sun dried tomatoes aren't cooked but are they really raw? :confused: I guess i will just play it safe and eat them myself. :D

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
There are dehydrated tomatoes in the "Just Tomatoes" brand of "Just Veggies" mix - from the ingredient list - corn, peas, carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes.

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Thanks Cecilia..I guess that's about the same thing huh? I am so paranoid though. I know that birds, especially amazons, need whatever nutrients are prevalent in tomato sauce but for some reason I never seem to remember to serve it to Cooper. He gets whole grain pasta in his chop but not any sauce. I was hoping the sun dried tomatoes would serve the same purpose as the sauce but want to make sure it's 100% safe.

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Thanks Sarah!

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Is lycopene what you hope to provide? I'm trying to think what would be in tomato sauce products that he would "need".

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Oh lord kathy..I have no idea. I just read stuff all the time and have read numerous times that it's good to give your amazon pasta with tomato sauce. I'm a good one for finding folks who do things well and copying what they do rather than trying to learn the reasons and science behind it. Drives my husband crazy. he says I won't do anything unless a book tells me to do it. :o:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
What I would worry about in anything dehydrated is what else have the manufacturer's added. Mostly sulphur dioxide which doesn't have to be listed on the ingredients list.

Tomatoes, raw or cooked are fine for parrots...it's the leaves and vines that parrots and humans should avoid.

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Thanks Jen!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Sulpher dioxide? I have never seen it listed on dehydrated tomatoes. If it had had much sulfur dioxide I would have reacted big time. It is a pain in the a$$ being allergic to half the world.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Sulpher dioxide? I have never seen it listed on dehydrated tomatoes. If it had had much sulfur dioxide I would have reacted big time. It is a pain in the a$$ being allergic to half the world.
They add it to most dried foods for color and preserving them and they don't have to put it on the label. I think they should have to list everything they put in their product. I read recently that they want to add Nutrasweet to milk and not have to list it in the ingredients...I've given up Nutrasweet and all the artificial sweeteners because of how crazy they seem to make my appetite. It would not be cool to buy a product that had that in it and not know about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.