• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can anyone adopt this bird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chad
*** Umbrella Cockatoo ***
Or does anyone know of someone who can?
This ad struck me as very sad:

"I need to rehome a very sweet Umbrella Cockatoo. She is about 8yrs old, talks a little, friendly but prefers women(will warm up to men in time) also loves kids. She is in need of alot of TLC she is a plucker and tends to be a bit loud. She prefers to be the ONLY bird in the household and is very needy of attention. I will only consider experienced homes and I am asking a rehoming fee. Cage included. *** Urgent must rehome ASAP she has to be kept in a cage 24/7 due to the fact of her attacking my other bird. She does not deserve to be locked in and needs a new home where she is the only bird.***"

The thought of that poor U2 locked in a cage 24/7 really upsets me, especially because she is a plucker! That is the last thing she needs. Is there anyone near Albany, NY that can take this bird in, or does anyone know of someone who can?

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
That's so very sad.
I don't get it. Does she live in a one room apartment or something? Can't she put the 'too in another room and give her attention as well and let her out?

I do hope she find a decent parront.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
That's so very sad.
I don't get it. Does she live in a one room apartment or something? Can't she put the 'too in another room and give her attention as well and let her out?

I do hope she find a decent parront.

that is what i was thinking, unless its a 1room home She can move things around and give both birds ample attention, space, and out of cage time w/out no one being hurt

sounds more like she's using it as a ploy to hurry up and get rid of the bird. she no longer wants.

Chad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chad
Can't she put the 'too in another room and give her attention as well and let her out?
I was thinking that too!

sounds more like she's using it as a ploy to hurry up and get rid of the bird. she no longer wants.
You never know, she could just not be that bright. There are a lot of different kinds of people out there, some of which are kind of scary, so who knows?:shrug3:

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
that is what i was thinking, unless its a 1room home She can move things around and give both birds ample attention, space, and out of cage time w/out no one being hurt

Probably so. Ugh. I wonder how much she is asking for the rehoming fee. It is "urgent" for someone else to rescue this bird, but not for her to take care of her own pet. Ugh and sheesh.

Dang...I am just being so judgmental today. I need to stay off of AA today!

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I hope that this Too can find a home.

We can post CL ads here on AA, as long as the purpose is to find a home, not to criticize the owners.

Lets hope someone sees this and opens up their home to him.
Sorry, Danita. I''m not usually so critical and judgmental, and I apologize. Hormonal, probably.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Poor thing.:( I hope it's able to find anew home soon where it can get the care and love it needs.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

Sorry, Danita. I''m not usually so critical and judgmental, and I apologize. Hormonal, probably.
Don't be sorry :)
I just want this ad to stay up so the Too can find a home :)

Chad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chad
I hope that this Too can find a home.

We can post CL ads here on AA, as long as the purpose is to find a home, not to criticize the owners.

Lets hope someone sees this and opens up their home to him.

You're right, I knew this. **Slaps self on the wrist.** :)

Thats what my intentions were in posting it, not to judge someone else.

I really do hope things turn out better for the poor 'too than the circumstances she is in right now.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
me too....everyone else said the same t hings I was going to say so lets hope the birdie finds a home

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
We have been contacted at our bird club by someone with a similar problem. The birds involved are a greenwing and a b&g. The greenwing has been in the home for over 20 years and the b&g has been there for 15. The b&g has become such a problem whenever the women does anything with her gw that she can no longer deal with him. As I understand it she cannot rearrange her home so that the 2 birds can't see each other.

She has been unable to find a home for her b&g for 6 months now. Part of the problem being that most of the club already have full houses and it sounds like the b&g would be better in a single bird home. I have also been told that the b&g has "issues" so I'm not sure that it would be a good first big bird for say that like our member that only has a cockatiel.

FoxersArtist

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anna
Mark, let me know if I could ever be of help with this B&G. I have a lot of experience working with challenging macaws.

-Anna
We have been contacted at our bird club by someone with a similar problem. The birds involved are a greenwing and a b&g. The greenwing has been in the home for over 20 years and the b&g has been there for 15. The b&g has become such a problem whenever the women does anything with her gw that she can no longer deal with him. As I understand it she cannot rearrange her home so that the 2 birds can't see each other.

She has been unable to find a home for her b&g for 6 months now. Part of the problem being that most of the club already have full houses and it sounds like the b&g would be better in a single bird home. I have also been told that the b&g has "issues" so I'm not sure that it would be a good first big bird for say that like our member that only has a cockatiel.

FoxersArtist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anna
There is a really good rescue in NY called A Helping Wing. Maybe they could help this cockatoo? I am already waiting for a returned call from this gal, so I'll ask when she calls back.
-Anna

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
There is a really good rescue in NY called A Helping Wing. Maybe they could help this cockatoo? I am already waiting for a returned call from this gal, so I'll ask when she calls back.
-Anna
Jeanne and John are great...hopefully they can help.

Trice

Real Name
Trice
I'm not a huge fan of craigs list based on the amount of unstable people out there. Chances of the Too falling into the hands of someone (even if they could pay the rehoming fee) that could harm, don't understand what its like to keep a Too , needs, and etc. are likely. Also, the too ended up in a cage most of the day along w/ 24/7 has a higher chance of happening.

Maybe I'm incorrect but logically how many people do you know get birds off of craigslist (unless free) that know what they are doing. I feel most experienced avian owners (esp. of large avians such as Too's) are going to go to breeders and friends alogn w/ places such as avian avenue.

I wish you would consider finding a way to work things out where your Too could remain with you in another section of your home. I do wish you the best in finding a home that's safe for the Too if you decide to rehome.

Chad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chad
I'm not a huge fan of craigs list based on the amount of unstable people out there. Chances of the Too falling into the hands of someone (even if they could pay the rehoming fee) that could harm, don't understand what its like to keep a Too , needs, and etc. are likely. Also, the too ended up in a cage most of the day along w/ 24/7 has a higher chance of happening.

Maybe I'm incorrect but logically how many people do you know get birds off of craigslist (unless free) that know what they are doing. I feel most experienced avian owners (esp. of large avians such as Too's) are going to go to breeders and friends alogn w/ places such as avian avenue.

I wish you would consider finding a way to work things out where your Too could remain with you in another section of your home. I do wish you the best in finding a home that's safe for the Too if you decide to rehome.
Shes not my bird! I would NEVER keep a plucking 'too confined to a cage 24 hours a day. Actually, I don't think I would ever even get a 'too. haha I know what I can handle, and a 'too requires WAY more time than I can give them. I just found the ad particularly sad, so I posted it on here to see if someone that does know a thing or two about 'toos could give the bird a good forever home.

And I think people that are experienced with birds do look to craigslist as a place to get new birds and not breeders. I have only been around here for a little while, and I've seen craigslist talked about quite a bit. I would never, ever go to a breeder to buy a bird. There are enough birds out there in need of homes in rescues, on craigslist, in newspapers, and in other various places for me to find what I am looking for. It would feel better for me to take a bird in need of a home in and make them happy, than to buy a baby from a breeder and ignore all desperate birds out there. And every once and a while you see those ads on craigslist of birds in HORRID condition, and you want to scoop them up even faster. Nothing makes you feel better than to watch them transform from a neglected bird into a thriving fid. This is what happened with Buddy when I had him, and it was fantastic.
:)

myakando

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmen
Hmmmm.... I just clicked on that CL ad..... no longer posted. Hope that poor U2 is in better and more experienced hands :confused:

Chad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chad
Oh gosh, me too. Now I'm nervous because we don't know where she went...:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.