• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can a Parrotlet be left alone at home?

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Kai is five months old and I’ve had him since he was eight weeks. He is a very healthy, happy, and well adjusted little guy. His diet mostly consist of Roudybush pellets right now but also eats fresh and cooked veggies, fruits, rice, etc. (I am still introducing him to foods) and a tablespoon of seeds every two to three days. His pellets always remain in his cage while his veggies etc. are hand fed. I often let my grandchildren, children, and friends hand feed him some of his favorite foods when they visit to help keep him social. This is my situation. I have to make a trip to Pennslvania and will be away from Thursday morning till Saturday afternoon. It is to cold for Kai to make a three hour drive and once there it will take a good hour to heat the house as the heat is off. I could board Kai or leave him at my daughters but hate to uproute him if I don’t have to since he is doing so well. My daughter doesn’t live far from me and has offered to drop by each day and spend some time with Kai during the time I am away. She will offer him his veggies etc. and change his pellets, water etc. while there. She will probably only be able to stay about two hours each day. My question is, has anyone ever left their Parrotlet alone while away? Is this a no no? I am trying to cause the least amount of stress to Kai and do what is best for him. If I didn’t have to go I wouldn’t. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sounds like a good arrangement to me! I've left mine that long with just a 20 minute check in every day :)

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Sounds like a good arrangement to me! I've left mine that long with just a 20 minute check in every day :)
That is so good to hear and such a relief. I hate the thought of removing him from the house especially in the cold weather. He is still adjusting one room at a time to the many rooms in the house and I don’t want to upset his little word if I don’t need to. Thank you so much for your reply.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have done all three. I have taken my bird with me. I have taken my bird to stay at someone's house. And I have had a sitter come to my house. My sitter would come 2-3 times a day, the amount of time varied from an half hour each time to an hour each time. It worked out fine. I always left a list of instructions and emergency contact numbers, although your daughter may know enough about his routine that it's not necessary. And just an fyi, I found that my birds actually loved going on trips. I understand the cold being a detriment right now, but especially in the case of my cockatiel, he didn't care where he was as long as he was with me.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I have done all three. I have taken my bird with me. I have taken my bird to stay at someone's house. And I have had a sitter come to my house. My sitter would come 2-3 times a day, the amount of time varied from an half hour each time to an hour each time. It worked out fine. I always left a list of instructions and emergency contact numbers, although your daughter may know enough about his routine that it's not necessary. And just an fyi, I found that my birds actually loved going on trips. I understand the cold being a detriment right now, but especially in the case of my cockatiel, he didn't care where he was as long as he was with me.
Thank you so much for your reply. I had a canary that traveled with me back and forth to PA during the spring through the fall. He loved it. I intend to do the same with Kai but it is to cold out side to take him now. Better he remained at home. Thanks again for your feedback.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I did that last Easter, we were aways for 3 days and a friend came to feed the animals once a day. They had to stay caged but for 3 days it was OK.

During the Summer however I had all of them (p'let, budgies and guinea pigs) at a sitter, they were kept in a barn with guinea pigs and rabbits. I didn't like to know that they all were confined in a cage for 3 weeks, they use to fly/run free most of the day at home but I couldn't ask my friend to take care of them at my place for such a long time and she has 2 large cats so she couldnt take them at her place. They were very happy when I came back to fetch them though, and this year we are not leaving anywhere so they'll avoid the sitter!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I think what you have planned should work. You are only going to be gone a few days. Kia will be stressed and worried. This can't really be prevented. He will call for you. You could try leaving some noises playing so it isn't just a quiet house. Maybe play one of those multiple hours of bird songs, or something similar.

One thing to remember is that parrotlets are very brave little birds. They take changed environments pretty well. If you ever did need to be gone for a long time I am sure Kia could even stay at someone's or a pet sitters and could adjust. Especially if you brought his cage. Even at your daughter's if she has the set up for it. For your few days trip I think Kia should manage. He will just think you got lost in the forest, he will be worried, but it will be ok.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I did that last Easter, we were aways for 3 days and a friend came to feed the animals once a day. They had to stay caged but for 3 days it was OK.

During the Summer however I had all of them (p'let, budgies and guinea pigs) at a sitter, they were kept in a barn with guinea pigs and rabbits. I didn't like to know that they all were confined in a cage for 3 weeks, they use to fly/run free most of the day at home but I couldn't ask my friend to take care of them at my place for such a long time and she has 2 large cats so she couldnt take them at her place. They were very happy when I came back to fetch them though, and this year we are not leaving anywhere so they'll avoid the sitter!
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I am leaning towards leaving Kai here and not uprooting him for the few days I’ll not be here. My daughter will come by and take him out of his cage and tend to his needs and while it will only be about two hours a day he will have the comforts of home. I will leave a radio on low for him so it isn’t so quiet in the house. Maybe put it on a timer so it doesn’t disturb him at night. During the summer we spend a lot of time going back and forth to PA. My canary always enjoyed the trip. I have an identical cage set up there so he would travel in a bird carrier. I am hopping Kai will take to traveling as well.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I think what you have planned should work. You are only going to be gone a few days. Kia will be stressed and worried. This can't really be prevented. He will call for you. You could try leaving some noises playing so it isn't just a quiet house. Maybe play one of those multiple hours of bird songs, or something similar.

One thing to remember is that parrotlets are very brave little birds. They take changed environments pretty well. If you ever did need to be gone for a long time I am sure Kia could even stay at someone's or a pet sitters and could adjust. Especially if you brought his cage. Even at your daughter's if she has the set up for it. For your few days trip I think Kia should manage. He will just think you got lost in the forest, he will be worried, but it will be ok.
Oh my. Now I feel terrible. I thought he’d be happier being in his own surroundings with my daughter dropping by. He knows her and likes her. He allows her to snuggle with him and scratch his head. I have allowed my grandchildren, children, and other members of the family to hand feed Kai some of his favorite foods when they visit because I wanted to socialize him. I don’t want to think of him being stressed and worried while I’m gone. Lonely is bad enough but stressed and worried is upsetting. Anyway, I have to make the trip and taking him out into the cold is not an option. He will be safe here at home and hopefully my daughter will relieve any stress he is under. I was thinking of leaving a radio on low and putting it on a timer so not to disturb him at night. My daughter did say Kai could stay with them but they keep a real cool apartment (temperature wise), have a bulldog, a five year old son, plus she won’t be home a lot while her son is in school. It would also mean taking all of Kai’s stuff including his cage to her apartment. I think Kai would be happier in his own surroundings. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You could get a camera and check in on him. We have some here that have a camera for their birds..

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I didn't mean to worry you :( just trying to be honest. He will be ok! Luckily parrotlets are brave and strong willed. Do not overly stress yourself out :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I agree that your daughter's place may be overwhelming. A dog and an active young family with children. That is a big adjustment!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You could get a camera and check in on him. We have some here that have a camera for their birds..
That may cause more stress than anything, seeing him and him not being able to see you. I'm sure the daugther will manage very well for a few days, faith is a good thing to have, and letting some of the control go is always healthy ;)

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I didn't mean to worry you :( just trying to be honest. He will be ok! Luckily parrotlets are brave and strong willed. Do not overly stress yourself out :)
Thank you. I am trying to see if I can leave Friday morning instead but doubt it.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I agree that your daughter's place may be overwhelming. A dog and an active young family with children. That is a big adjustment!
Actually Kai is very use to an active and noisy household. The sounds of a dog would not disturb him as I have a 12 year old Yorker. However Kai and my pup never interact. My retired husband’s fire radio is constantly talking and making all sorts of sounds, and as for children, I watch my grandchildren twice a week and more when they have no school. My daughter’s little boy is one of them. My children and grandchildren hand feed Kai when they are here. Kai loves the daughter who is going to be stopping by to visit with him. She offered to take him to her home but she is a hair stylist and her son goes to school half day. I am afraid it will be more of an upset to leave him alone in a strange household which is kept a lot cooler then our home. I am also unsure of her dog. Since we are only going to be gone two nights (maybe one) I thought it would be safer keeping him home and having her come here.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
That may cause more stress than anything, seeing him and him not being able to see you. I'm sure the daugther will manage very well for a few days, faith is a good thing to have, and letting some of the control go is always healthy ;)
Thank you. I actually thought about the camera but think you are right. He’s a good healthy bird and one or two (at the most) nights away with my daughter spending time and tending to him should be ok. Thank you.